iPhone iOS 8 performance on iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by shawnzhsh, Sep 16, 2014.

1. shawnzhsh macrumors newbie

tomorrow iOS8 will be released formally.
    I want to know whether I should upgrade to iOS8 for my iPhone5? :D
    does anyone have the experience about iOS8 running on iPhone5? :eek::apple:

thanks. /Shawn

2. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Rule of thumb. Wait a few weeks or even a few months for a stable release. There is nothing overly exciting an iOS 8 to make me jump ship from 7.1.2 just yet. Plus, Yosemite isn't even out and the two go hand and hand.

3. KrisLord macrumors 65816

I've had the GM on mine for a week and it's been fine.

4. ParagJain macrumors 6502

Agree, wait for few days, read few of the posts on various forums especially around the bugs part and what's broken.
    Another thing I'll wait for is the apps to be updated so that those apps don't slow down the ios with so called memory leak and blah blah...

5. Creep89 macrumors 6502

I'm running the Golden Master for a few days and it's great. There are some bugs in general, but the overall performance is like iOS 7.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Running the GM - fine. It took a little while initially to sort out search (think Mac Spotlight indexing) and crashed once or twice initially - now very good. Apps are getting updates to iOS8, so apps are improving on a daily basis.

7. abhi0n0nakul macrumors member

abhi0n0nakul

been running gm, aside from the few bugs where in 1-2% of cases the phone lags, it does on 5s too. so its just sw issue, will be fixed.
    in most areas its same as 7.1.2 , in many areas its faster even..
    overall better..

8. saudor macrumors 6502

Performance is good. I just wasn't happy with the temperamental battery life (sometimes awesome, other times crap)

Plus without sms relay, no point in upgrading for me. I'll wait for another update

9. shawnzhsh thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you mean iFn5's battery is temperamental when running iOS8? thanks.

10. saudor macrumors 6502

Yep.itd stay at 95-100 for a long time and jump down to 70 (draining 1% every 5 mins on its own) And stay there again. It's as if the battery was horribly calibrated.

11. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

This is typical and requires a full battery drain to recalibrate properly after upgrading.

12. saudor macrumors 6502

Except it kept doing that for a ~week

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

That sounds like a bad battery and should be checked.

No.

14. balzmcfearson macrumors regular

balzmcfearson

Performance for me has been pretty good. Battery life (on the betas and gm) has been absolutely abysmal. i will chalk it up to the 5 being a 2 year old device.

15. spytech macrumors regular

So far so good, have the update for 20 minutes, performance is the same. let's see how this goes.

16. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

i found a nice feature maybe a hidden one

When you receive an email say with someones work signature and they have a contact number in there, when you read their email, a small pop up shows on top of the email header with person name and phone number and you can add it to your contacts right away or ignore.

little things :)

17. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

It has been stable and fast for me. As some people were saying some features such as search where not fast in the beginning but are smooth and fluid now. For me its indistinguishable from iOS 7. Battery life is also the same.

18. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

mmmm battery draining quickly esp when I'm text messaging. Did a reset etc and will check again.

anyone else having issues.

iphone 5 g4gb

i was sitting here and it was 31% and then just went down straight to 29% maybe needs to drain completely down and then charged up.

19. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

Performing well on mine but where's my Wi-Fi calling? The toggle where it should be simply isn't there.

everything else though, my iPhone 5 is doing well so far with the upgrade which I did OTA. Was also pushed a carrier settings update minutes after the phone was updated. (T-Mobile 17.1)

I rebooted my iPhone hoping that would do the trick but still no Wi-Fi calling option.

20. Surfheart macrumors regular

Few little stutters here and there that I didn't notice on ios7. Mostly see it in when choosing to show Safari tab interface, bringing the keyboard up and scrolling in the Appstore.

21. dumb macrumors member

Same here, the slowness is noticeable, not much but you can tell.