iPhone iOS 8 photo disaster

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by scotty2hottie43, Aug 3, 2014.

1. scotty2hottie43, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014

scotty2hottie43 macrumors newbie

After giving iOS8 a try, I foolishly attempted to downgrade back to iOS7 until the official release. In the process of downgrading, (put iphone in DFU mode and restore), my pictures were lost. Normally they are in my Photo Stream, but with iOS8, I believe that was replaced with iCloud Photo Library. These pictures did not transfer over to my phone on iOS 7:(, and I was wondering if I have to wait until iOS8 comes out to access my pictures or if they are gone forever. Please help!:apple:

2. mizxco macrumors 6502a

mizxco

iCloud drive?

3. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

As far as your photos are concerned, who knows. On July 7th, right before the release of iOS 8 beta 3, Apple did a server side data wipe that affected iCloud drive, iCloud photo library, and Mail drop. Obviously hindsight is 20/20. Next time back up all your data before upgrading or downgrading software, especially when using betas.

4. HarryT macrumors 6502

HarryT

Don't use beta's on daily drivers. How many times do people have to say this?

As long as Apple don't wipe iCloud Drive again before release (no guarantees there..) then your photos should be accessible on iOS 8 still.

If you don't want to risk it then go back to iOS 8 and recover them ensuring you save to your desktop.

Apple gave plenty of warnings for this. And when you install iOS 8 there is a iCloud Photos message that appears stating you will transfer everything over to iCloud Photo from photo stream so it's not really Apples fault.

5. idkmybffjon macrumors member

iCloud photo library needed to be activated manually. The release notes have, and continue (including beta 5) to advise you to back up your photos with iTunes/iPhoto before enabling it.

If you didn't read the release notes, you had no business installing pre release software.

6. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Keep in mind that the photo stream never had all of your photos... as I recall it just keeps photos there for 30 days or until you reach 1000 photos in the stream. It's possible that your photos had simply expired out of the photo stream.

If you did enable iCloud photo library then the photos may be there as well, but you would have to go back to iOS 8 to see that.

Did you take a backup before you wiped your phone?

7. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Good point but for these types of issues even that isn't working. :(

OP: I don't remember what others have done in previous betas so I may be foolish to suggest putting iOS 8 back on to see if you can again access them.

9. Rahul45692 macrumors newbie

Hello People, i wanted to upload my photos on to my mac from photos application in my iphone so i decided to use icloud and photostream when from settings i started icloud then to photos i clicked icloud photo library and after that all my photos disappeared it said this "automatically upload and store your entire library in icloud to access photos and videos from all your devices" i am not able to find my photos in iphotos of my mac...please help me i had almost 1000 photos...where did icloud took my photos..

10. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

Well it is a beta...go back to ios 8 and see if they are there.