iOS 8 Photo Extension Question

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by PhilippLA, Sep 25, 2014.

1. PhilippLA macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I was super excited about photo extensions. Gone seemed the days of having to go from one app to the next, saving each time, to get your perfect image and being left with a bunch of iterations in your camera roll. But now that a few extensions are available (Camera+, Afterlight, etc...) I'm starting to see some limitations that make this feature less useful.

For example, if I add a Camera+ extension from my photo app and then add another iOS filter on top of that I can’t go back and re-tweak my Camera+ sliders. Instead C+ just seems to add an additional filter layer on top.

Is this the only way photo extension work? Once you layer another filter on top the previous once becomes baked in and the only way to revert is to go back to the original image, losing all filters added in between?

Also, my images edited via photo extensions still sync over my photo stream to my iMac and iPad but neither of them shows the adjustments I made. Just the original photo. That's kind of silly, no? Will this change once iCloud photo is enabled? Otherwise I don't really see the point of adding photo extensions if you don't also have those edits on your other devices.

Really curious if these are SDK limitations or if the developers haven't implmement extensions correctly yet.

Philipp

2. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I don't have an idea, but I do have a related question:

Is there a way we can retain an original copy of a photograph, plus the edited one? As in, duplicate the image first before editing it. The transitional edits that OP mentioned usually end up being nothing, but it's definitely nice having both my original master file, and then the edited one as a separate photograph.

3. afsnyder macrumors 65816

You'd need to open up a second app..

4. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Kind of defeating the purpose of the Photo app adjustments being available in Photos?

5. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Well photos are non-descrtuctive anyway. You can always revert it if you make a mistake.

6. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

I am very much loving this feature. Can't wait till some of my other photo apps get updated (Snapseed!). It saves SO much time and works perfectly. I haven't played around with multi app editing since I only have one app that it works with right now). I'm guessing that we won't be able to revert to different versions. Once you save the 2nd app edit, you probably can only revert to the original shot. Maybe they'll allow that one day but for now, this is a great feature in my opinion... one of my most anticipated feature in fact.