Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
How soon do we normally see the new iOS update after the keynote?

There are plenty of other threads about this. Typically, the GM release will be available sometime today. - on some occasions, it’s been made available during the keynote - but usually within an hour or so from the end. Also, the general release of the new iOS has historically been available 2 days prior to the new iPhone release. Since that is rumored to be 09/19, the GA release of iOS 8 should be 09/17.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
There are plenty of other threads about this. Typically, the GM release will be available sometime today. Also, the general release of the new iOS has historically been available 2 days prior to the new iPhone release. Since that is rumored to be 09/19, the GA release of iOS 8 should be 09/17.

Sorry did not see one when I was scrolling. Thanks for the info.

Mods delete if needed. Sorry.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah we still have 8 days to wait, it should be released to consumers on Wednesday 9/17 at 1pm EST 10am PST.

I do want it now tho, and can't wait!

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
Yeah we still have 8 days to wait, it should be released to consumers on Wednesday 9/17 at 1pm EST 10am PST.

I do want it now tho, and can't wait!

GM can be installed on any supported device WITHOUT UDID registration.
I'm sure many people here will be installing the GM at 1800-tonight

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Is there a fear that Apple may track down anything unauthorized and disable the use on our iPhone if we pull an iOS 8 GM from somewhere, without getting it thru as a registered developer?

it will be uploaded on many sites, all you would have to do is use Google after the keynote to get the correct IPSW for your device

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I’ve been running iOS 8 since beta 1. I have very few apps that don’t work with it. And the updates are coming, too.

Sure, but I have some apps that are simply not able to run under iOS 8 yet. I'm pretty sure the updates will come soon but there's absolutely no way I am going to install iOS 8 this evening. I always do a clean install for a new iOS version anyway. Upgrading is always a bad idea.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Is there a fear that Apple may track down anything unauthorized and disable the use on our iPhone if we pull an iOS 8 GM from somewhere, without getting it thru as a registered developer?

No. It is the same build number as the one that will be released OTA to the general public next week. It is THE SAME version. They just give it out to developers a week early to make sure their apps are ready to go before the public gets their hands on it.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Sure, but I have some apps that are simply not able to run under iOS 8 yet. I'm pretty sure the updates will come soon but there's absolutely no way I am going to install iOS 8 this evening. I always do a clean install for a new iOS version anyway. Upgrading is always a bad idea.

Says you. I have not done a clean install since about 2011. When I get a new phone, it’s a "clean" as it gets. I always restore from backup and my devices work as well and a cleanly as yours. I guarantee it.

And as I said, I have a few apps that don’t work well with iOS 8, but none of my "go to" apps, so I will take my chances.

Of course, YMMV.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Says you. I have not done a clean install since about 2011. When I get a new phone, it’s a "clean" as it gets. I always restore from backup and my devices work as well and a cleanly as yours. I guarantee it.

And as I said, I have a few apps that don’t work well with iOS 8, but none of my "go to" apps, so I will take my chances.

Of course, YMMV.

Have any of those been beta builds tho?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Have any of those been beta builds tho?

If the iOS 8 software, yes. Of the apps, no. The only one that I use all the time that broke was Tweetbot - and the "break" was the inability to get to settings. Tapbots was able to fix the issue under the iOS 7 code set. This was about beta 3 or so.

Otherwise, no show stoppers for me. But as I say, YMMV.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Thank you for the info; with the new keyboard functionality, battery info, inter-app communication, etc. I just might have plenty of ambition to well get a GM and upgrade this week!

No. It is the same build number as the one that will be released OTA to the general public next week. It is THE SAME version. They just give it out to developers a week early to make sure their apps are ready to go before the public gets their hands on it.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London

I'm a registered developer and i can confirm that the GM is EXACTLY the same as the public release version (same file) and i have installed the GM on non registered devices (friends & family) ever since 2008 without ever having a problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.