All iPads iOS 8: Sign that there's TouchID on next iPads

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rdy0329, Sep 18, 2014.

1. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

After restarting my rMini, entering the passcode says:

"requires passcode after restarting" just like the iPhone 5s.

Wha do you guys think?

2. vmflapem macrumors 6502

I've never used an ipad or iphone before. Could someone tell me what's so good about touch id? I watched some youtube videos but they seemed nothing more than another way of unlocking the device.

3. matttye macrumors 601

Uses your fingerprint to authenticate.

If you have lots of accounts with varying complex passwords then you normally need to either write them down or use a password manager, otherwise you'll inevitably forget some passwords. With touchid you have an incredibly complex password that you don't need to remember.

4. addictzz macrumors 6502

It gives more incentive for thief to not only steal your beloved touch-id iDevices but also cut your thumbs to help in verification :D

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think its a solid assumption. I think with all the leaks touch ID on the new iPad is pretty much a given. The question is, will they have 2GB of ram?

----------

It's a more convenient way to unlock your device and make purchases for some people. However, if you don't like it then you can use a passcode instead.

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I would say that the opening of touch id is a big clue that yes the iPads will have touch id. This message just confirms what really isn't a secret (which is why they had that message in the betas as well)

----------

under iOS 7 that was true. but with iOS 8 third party developers can use touch id so you can use it to sign into lots of things if they are set up that way. i heard that 1password, for example, will let you use touch id for your master password entry.

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

For some reason I thought it needs your thumb to be alive to work... That Touch ID won't work on a plaster cast of your thumb etc.

8. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

As was mentioned previously, TouchID can now be used by other applications to lock and unlock. It can also be used to make purchases in the iTunes Music Store or App Store. It will be used to make purchases with Apple Pay.

But the unlock feature that you don't seem impressed with is still very impressive. If you're the type of person who can't be bothered to even place a pass code on their phone, then TouchID might not seem like a huge time-saver. Indeed, that's a large part of why Apple made it in the first place: to incentivize people to have some form of security on their device.

If you use and can appreciate pass codes, TouchID is a massive time and energy saver. Entering a four-digit code doesn't represent a huge time sink, but what if you use a longer code? What if you lock and unlock your device multiple times per day? What if you're interacting with someone and need to unlock your iPad during the encounter; TouchID allows you to do so without breaking eye contact or tapping out your massive pass code.

The scenarios I'm describing are really what I'm looking forward to, since I use my iPad heavily at work. It gets locked and unlocked multiple times per hour, and the code is much longer than the standard four-digit code. TouchID will save me a lot of time and effort.

9. preyan macrumors 6502

preyan

I had also initially thought the finger scanner was a waste of time but considering companies are now either on board or going to be on board to use it, I can see time being saved for App Store and iTunes purchases etc. I'm pretty sure that banks will start coming on board too.

I remember a story where someone was in a cafe and could see someone else's passcode to enter their device. A fingerprint will probably make it hardest I guess :cool: