iOS 8 still doesn't have the stopwatch on the lockscreen

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ionjohn, Jun 3, 2014.

1. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Should we flood apple with emails? That's just ridiculous...

2. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Ask them on bugreport.apple.. Become a free safari developer and report directly to the engineering team.. Trust me, the responses are better and they do listn.. They sought end out 2-3 of my bugs, and features... Mostly, they close your bug, saying it is a duplicate if someone else's.. But if it's bug, and not a feature request, they respond

3. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Its still not a bug though

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Wait, why is the stopwatch supposed to appear on the lock screen exactly?

5. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

What he means, is when you start a stop watch or a timer, instead of opening the app, it'll be better if that is shown on the lock screen...

----------

Apple accepts suggestions.. You won't believe!

You know the "button shapes" in accessibility .. I had given them a similar idea... In the next beta update, boom! You get this.. Impressed with that!

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The timer does display on the lock screen.

7. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

But when on the lock screen don't you just slide up the control center and pick stopwatch?

8. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Aaaah yes, a stopwatch on the lock screen. They better add in that feature that 0.001% of their users will ever use. It's critical to the continued success of iOS. :rolleyes:

9. mr99 macrumors 6502a

I belive you can request features somewhere on their site.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's a bug that a made up feature isn't there!

11. ionjohn, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2014

ionjohn thread starter macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Timer does but stopwatch doesn't, odd isn't it?

----------

----------

Let's say you're running and you wanna see how long you've been running, you get your phone out of your pocket and just press the lock button, you see your stopwatch counting. Way less of a hassle

12. MacModMachine, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2014

MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

would siri tell you ?

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I can totally understand the business logic of a timer on the lockscreen.

You put something in the oven and are watching TV. you press the power button on your phone to see how much time is left.

interactions with a stopwatch are more frequent so I don't quite understand why it should be on a lockscreen.

14. ionjohn thread starter macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Why wouldn't it? That's the question! If timer is on the lock screen, how come stopwatch isn't? It's almost the same thing. I'm gonna send an email to Apple to see what they think

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not quite almost the same thing. A timer is there to start and just run down to the end, which requires no interaction after it is started. A stopwatch is usually there to stop at some point yourself, which requires interaction, and that alone can be enough of a difference between what Apple's usability dictates as being appropriate or not for the lockscreen.

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Well, if Apple added the stopwatch to the lock screen people would complain that they can't start/stop/reset from the lock screen in turn making the feature useless. Especially considering you have to unlock the phone to even interact with it which defeats the purpose of tracking time properly.

17. ionjohn thread starter macrumors 65816

ionjohn

I agree, a stopwatch is there to stop at some point, so the best way to do it would be to make it like a notification, you swipe and you pause it! That'd be great!

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

A stopwatch is supposed to be used for accuracy. Implementing it in the lock screen means being a few seconds off even with a notification, once your screen goes to sleep you have to hit the button, wait for the slight delay in getting to the lock screen, and interacting with the UI.

It would be stupid for apple to break with their UI to implement a feature like stopwatch, which in most use cases is meant to be watched the entire time for accuracy.

19. ionjohn thread starter macrumors 65816

ionjohn

What you're saying doesn't make sense. You are already a few seconds off because you have to unlock your phone.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

EXACTLY.

The stopwatch, if used for precision, is an app you wouldn't leave while in use. If you do use it for longer durations where a second or two doesn't matter (like timing a car ride across town) then you'd just unlock the phone anyway.

Basically it doesn't make sense for apple to change their entire lock screen paradigm for the odd use case of quick access to a timer, because if the user wanted to be precise with it they wouldn't be locking the phone while timing in the first place.

That said, maybe we'll be surprised with a "Hey siri, stop my stopwatch". I hope thats the case because I think its the only workaround that fits apple's paradigm that will accomplish what you want it to. :)

21. ionjohn thread starter macrumors 65816

ionjohn

It wouldn't change anything, it would be the same way a notification is on the lock screen, you could swipe and pause just like on iOS 8 you can dismiss notifications by swiping. It would allow stopwatch to be displayed and controlled from the lock screen!

22. TheKrs1 macrumors 6502

Pro tip. Make a stopwatch app that incorporates a widget that can be added to notification center.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Problem solved!

See what all the new APIs enable OP?

24. ionjohn thread starter macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Let's partner up!

----------

If only I had a mac...I'd so do it!! :D

25. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Assuming an iDevice has Touch ID, you can simply press the home button and leave your finger there to unlock it to display the stopwatch.

Personally I'd just use the clock or set the timer for how long I want to run and see the time left on the lock screen and do the math.