iOS 8: the most glichy iOS Ever...

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by gizmo84, Oct 3, 2014.

1. gizmo84 macrumors member

Some of this has probably already been posted by other users. But here is some issues I’ve experienced.

iOS 8 has been the most Glitchy update I’ve ever used. I’ve been using iOS since the iPhone 3G.

This iPhone 6 feels like it’s not fully baked. It’s reminding me of the windows Vista launch.

Here is a list of my issues and my solutions:

iPad Air with iOS 8.0.2 on it:
    While browsing using safari the whole Springboard crashed. Usually safari would crash. But the whole OS crashed. Just from browsing basic websites. This happens multiple times a day. This happened on 8.0 and 8.0.2

I also have an iPhone 6 64GB:
    Weak signal strength compared to iPhone 5 and 5S. iOS 8.0.2 made it worse. So I had to downgrade to 8.0 . You’d think with the thick antenna bands this phone would have awesome reception. Not the case.
    Toggling airplane mode on and the off helps with the weak signal problem.

one of the issues with 8.0 is the wifi isn't reliable. Sometimes it doesn't find ANY routers to connect to. It will just keep searching. The only thing that will fix this is to turn the phone off and then back on.

Phone sometimes doesn't respond to being in landscape orientation. This happens sometimes.

Oh and I just tried to open the “Phone” app and the whole OS froze. I had to hard reset it to get it to turn off.

This is seriously the buggyest phone I’ve ever purchased from apple. I can’t believe I waited in line for this. I really hope they make these bug fixes a priority over apple pay. That is just something I personally won’t use.

2. Bahroo macrumors 68000

iOS 8.0.2 has been the complete opposite, my bluetooth works fine, my reception blows away the old GS4 that I had in recetion and every single catorgory, it's just the apps from the app store that need to get updated

3. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

Try 8.1 beta and see if it solves some of your issues.

4. Alrescha macrumors 68020

In my case, iOS 8 has been one of my better upgrade experiences. iPhone 4s and iPad mini, both working fine.

A.

5. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Depends on how you view "glichy". IMO, iOS 7 was worse because at least on my 5s, the OS was fairly crash-prone until 7.0.4 arrived. The "white screen of death" random resets occurred once every few days, and I had multiple app crashes on a daily basis with Safari being among the worst offenders. Apparently, iOS 7 crashed twice as often on the 5s compared to other iPhones, and I suspect that had to do with the 64-bit transition.

iOS 8 for me has been comparatively smooth. No random resets, and only a couple of misbehaving apps that already crashed all the time with iOS 7.1.2 still crash a lot. With iOS 8.0.2, my phone runs at least as fast and reliably as 7.1.2.

That said, iOS 8 does seem to have more issues that just pop up at random. iOS 8 actually fixed one Bluetooth issue I was having with my car, but it seems more eager to drop the audio connection whenever there's a gap between programs and put my car back into search mode. Also, the Music app sometimes disappears from the Manage Storage list. Nothing major, and nothing that occurs all the time. Stuff just happens at random, and it's more annoying than anything. Given a choice though, I'd much rather put up with this than having random resets and frequent app crashes.

A lot of the stuff happening with iOS 8 seems to affect the iPhone 6/6 Plus and iPad Air more than other models. And that could have to do with using newer chipsets and buggy drivers.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

how do you install a beta?

do you still need a devolper account or have someone add you to theirs as a "tester"?

7. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

8. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I have the landscape issue. I do a hard reset to solve that. Drives me nuts when going through photos

9. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I wouldn't call iOS 8 "glitchy" at all, and certainly not the most glitchiest.

There are still some bugs there but I expect most of these will be fixed by 8.1, people seem to forget the .0 releases are pretty buggy.

I remember the days of iPhone OS 2. Now THAT was a glitchy OS, if not the glitchiest of them all. Laggy, applications wouldn't even launch, and when they would, constant crashes, the whole OS was unstable. It was actually pretty hard to live with it. I would call that the most glitchiest OS.

Yes

10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I installed 8.1 without being on a DEV account and without having my UDID registered.

I had my iPhone 5s registered and used all the iOS 8 Betas, then I got an iPhone 6 and restored to iOS 8.1 thinking I would still be OK, then realized half way through that it wouldn't work...

Once it finished, it still worked.

11. MaxPayne79 macrumors regular

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The exact same comparison (Vista) was made about iOS 7 and OS X Lion

Software has bugs in it; those bugs will be fixed; iOS 8 will become rock solid and then when iOS 9 is released it will no doubt be proclaimed as "Apple's Vista"

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose as the proverb goes ;)

13. gizmo84 thread starter macrumors member

sorry to resurrect an old thread. but just thought i'd add to my reasoning for my opinion. there are some websites that i browse with safari on my ipad air with iOS 8.0.2 and about 10-15 times so far the whole ipad will crash (springboard crash) apple logo appears and lock screen shows up. that is a whole level bugs than ever before. ive never had the whole OS crash from browsing the web. something. hopefully 8.1 is better. but I'm not upgrading right away...

14. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

So what you are saying is that you will stay on the most glitchiest iOS ever, even though an update is available and which may potential solve all your problems ? hmmm.....

15. iphone5att64 macrumors 6502

16. spooky23 macrumors 6502

spooky23

It's fine aside from some cosmetic glitches, like the way the corners of the folder 'pop' when you open it up.

17. chezhoy macrumors regular

chezhoy

I just got the iPhone 6 on Friday. It seems connecting to recognized wi-fi is an issue. Sometimes it drops from my home wi-fi (FiOS with Time Capsule) where it wasn't an issue with previous iPhones, iPads or MacBook. Also, when I am deleting text message conversations, I try to hold my finger over one of the texts so I can Delete All and it won't do anything...I have to shut down Messages, reopen it and I can delete messages...it's odd. Just two things I've noticed.

18. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

I have had the opposite experience. iOS 8, 8.0.1 & 8.0.2 have been great on my iPad Air LTE. No safari crashes or springboard resets. It feels much quicker than on iOS 7.
    I also have it on a 5s, 5, 5c, iPad 4th gen, iPad mini and mini retina. All working fine. Oh and on my 6 plus, which I'm lovin

19. gizmo84 thread starter macrumors member

upgraded to 8.1 on both iphone 6 and ipad air. hope its less glitchy

20. Chairman.Jobbie macrumors 6502

Its not. More glitchy. Apps freeze before opening and general odd freezing whilst doing stuff. Hope 8.11 comes out soon

21. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Better make that 8.2. My new 6 plus doesn't feel anywhere near as fast as my 5S on 8.1. Everything is jerky in a way it shouldn't be for a device of this size and price.

22. tys macrumors 6502

The wifi problem has plagued my 6 plus for over a month now. No issues with previous iPhones and iPads nor with my Xperia. iOS 8.0, 8.02, 8.1 same issue you report: won't stay connected to previously recognized wifi networks. New phone didn't help either unfortunately.

23. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

You must be on iPhone 4S. stop spewing lies about something that is not occuring for majority of users.

24. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Actually, I am on a 4S and 8.1 seems fine. Have been annoying my friends with SMS and phone calls from my desktop.

A.

25. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

I was having the WIFI problem with a new iPhone 6. I found it too frustrating, along with a wobbly home button, so I returned the iPhone.
    I just ordered another one and I'm hoping it's the hardware that was the problem. Some people are having problems while others aren't. Does that mean it's a hardware and software problem?