iOS 8 update is a joke

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by smoledman, Sep 18, 2014.

1. smoledman macrumors 68000

That it requires 6.9GB free space is an example of the type of code bloat that Steve Jobs never would have tolerated. That 10s of millions of 16GB iPad users have to either:

1. Use iTunes to update
    2. Clean up application cache, one by one

is a horrible UX, Jobs never would have tolerated. But Cookie boy is ok with.

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It's ok but it isn't the best update. iOS 4 was still the best update for me. The update for iOS 8 seemed to take my household's apple devices a very long time (up to 3 hours!) for very little change.

3. jjhoekstra macrumors regular

The update is OK. I yesterday updated 4 iPads and 3 iPhones and overall it took around 2 hours. The download is about 10 mins on my wifi. I am a bit confused why one would not use iTunes. You have to iTunes anyhow to first make a backup. Or am I missing something?

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Most people do iCloud backips, not iTunes.

5. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

Yeah I'm underwhelmed by the update as well. I find it especially stupid you need to have an app, which is visible on one of the home screen pages at all times, just to have an extra keyboard.

6. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

OMFG. Here we go again. Repeat and rinse: Jobs is not the CEO anymore.

7. Lodesman macrumors regular

Lodesman

I don't see much difference after upgrading my iPhone 5s to IOS 8 other than the installation of a bunch of un-deletable apps (Tips, Health, Books, Podcasts).

They have joined Newsstand, Game Centre, Stocks and Passbook in a Folder labelled Junk as they are apps that I have no use for and cannot get rid of.

I thought Apple was immune to Bloatware - apparently not !!

Here in the UK I have been advised by a number of App suppliers NOT to upgrade my iPad until the Apple App Store has approved their individual IOS 8 upgrades. This procedure is causing extensive delays apparently.

8. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

The Health app is part of what iOS 8 IS. It's not bloatware.

9. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

I _love_ iOS 8 - it's so packed with super-power features that we've been clamoring for years now. Feature bloat? Apple would be blasted for not having something, or for not showcasing their well thought out app experiences.

Yeah just make a folder and stuff everything in there that's extraneous to you; it's really not that big a deal is it? Perhaps some of Apple's core apps are not useful to you, but they are to somebody else. And it is a little weird to have an extra app icon for a keyboard, but hey, it's a little oddity for a lot of gain, I love the functionality of having SwiftKey.

I'm not an apologist, but I just realize that you can't please everyone all the time; there are always compromises to be made, even in Android. It's the nature of the technology beast, things do get bigger when you are trying to please the masses.

10. Lodesman macrumors regular

Lodesman

You are absolutely correct, it's no big deal having a Junk folder.

On the other hand why not make these apps removable for those who don't want/need them ?

That would be even more convenient. I personally prefer a simple list of the apps that I use.

But, as you say, each to their own.

11. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

You have no clue how software installs work. Please go away.

12. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

So just use iTunes!

13. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

So are you implying you know how software installs work?
    Please, enlighten us. Since before your post, it was obvious to all the internet that every single update framework has its own way to handle updates, but looks like you know how universally "software installs" work. Explain, or go away. :rolleyes:

14. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

I understand that it takes space for temp files which is more than OP does. Of course, he doens't know how to move apps from the main screen so he might not actually be a Apple user.

15. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Which wasnt an issue pre OTA updates!

16. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Enough with this "Jobs would never have tolerated <fill in the blank>" nonsense. Every iOS update needed to have a certain amount of space free to upgrade. Each iOS version has needed more and more space, including under Steve Jobs. Just like Jobs tolerated a sticking out camera (iPod Touch) and different sized devices (iPad Mini developed while he was still alive).

Invoking Jobs just because someone doesn't like a choice Apple made is just plain dumb.

17. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

You asked him? Or you just speak for him.

18. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

That has nothing to do with "software installs". Storing "temp files" is what is needed when anything downloads any kind of compressed package from anywhere.
    It is also obvious for anyone who has ever used a computer.
    OP is not directly displaying any kind of ignorance of software upates, nor it appears that he wants to know or discuss how software updates work. He's on to another point, which is legitimate to discuss, just like many other topics on MR.

Nothing of the above gives you the right to outright "insult" the OP and tell him to "go away".
    :rolleyes: