Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TamburelloRouge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Long story short - I enabled two-step verification for my iCloud account back in March of 2013 using my iPhone 5 as my trusted device. Since then I have upgraded my MacBook Pro to Mavericks and my iPhone and iPad to iOS 7. I always do a clean install of a new OS, BTW. Every time, I was able to easily log in using my Apple ID user name and password.

Last Thursday, I upgraded my iPhone and iPad to iOS 8. When I went to set up my phone, after the iCloud log in it told me I had to verify my identity. The only problem is that my trusted device (iPhone) is no longer there! I cannot access anything now via my phone. My Macbook Pro is still logged into iCloud but there doesn't seem to be a way to add a trusted device that way.

Is there anything else I can do here? I can't even log-in to iCloud on the web now, which I could do before Thursday. I have contacted Apple and so far they have been unable to help. Has this happened to anyone else?

I know that there is a Recovery Key that would solve this but unfortunately I cannot find the one I was given at the time. I know that part is my fault but the trusted device disappearing is definitely not. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
How did you do the "clean install" on the iOS devices? If you wiped them or set up as new, they were automatically removed from your list of trusted devices. You should have added your mobile number as a trusted number, in which case Apple could have sent you the code via SMS regardless whether the phone is a trusted device or not.

If you have lost the recovery key and all trusted devices and haven't registerd a trusted phone number, there is nothing you can do if Apple support won't help.

TamburelloRouge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
I did set them up as new just like I have always done. I did the same thing a year ago for iOS 7 and had now problem logging back in to iCloud. This time, not so much.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I did set them up as new just like I have always done. I did the same thing a year ago for iOS 7 and had now problem logging back in to iCloud. This time, not so much.
Yes, 2-factor authentication when setting up a new device for the first time is a new feature in iOS 8.

If you have lost every secondary authentication channel, only Apple support can help you. I don't know if their policy allows them to do that though. They'd have to verify your identity somehow.

BTW, if I remember correctly you are *required* to provide a trusted number for SMS when you set up 2-step verification. Do you see SMS as an option when you login to appleid.apple.com?

Last edited:

TamburelloRouge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
I don't have the SMS option at the Apple ID link. I wonder if restoring my phone back to iOS 7 would cause it to show back up as a trusted device. I guess it's worth a try.

TamburelloRouge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
So I reloaded iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 and restored it using a back-up from before the release of iOS. It can access my iCloud just fine, as it always did. Unfortunately, it does not show up as a trusted device when I try to log in to iCloud on my iPhone 6. GRRR!!

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
So I reloaded iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 and restored it using a back-up from before the release of iOS. It can access my iCloud just fine, as it always did. Unfortunately, it does not show up as a trusted device when I try to log in to iCloud on my iPhone 6. GRRR!!
Did you activate "find my iPhone" in the iCLoud settings on the 5?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.