IOS 8 using icloud Drive and sharing across 3 devices

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by etaf, Jan 29, 2015.

1. etaf macrumors member

etaf

I'm about to upgrade 3 devices for a friend
    2 iphones and an ipad
    I also have a windows 8 PC

i plan to use icloud drive after the update and subscribe to the space

the iphones use different appleIDs
    And i would like the icloud drive i subscribe for space to be available to all the three devices - to store notes, photos etc
    is this family sharing - all i can find is howto do that on icloud and NOT on icloud drive

ideally i want all the photos , notes etc to all be on the one icloud drive account and ALL available on the PC - using icloud photos - so it automatically gets a copy of any photos taken on the three devices

any advice / help please
    i have looked at various youtube videos and also apple articles - But it all appears mixed with icloud and icloud drive
    any clear instructions would be great

thanks

2. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Not sure what you are asking for, but if you login with you apple id on the all the devices then they will have access to all the photos/files stored in the cloud

3. etaf thread starter macrumors member

etaf

what about different appleIDs - which each device belongs to a different family member - how to set icloud drive - to all all to copy files to the one icloud drive and see the files on each device

4. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Each Apple ID will have a drive space associated with the ID. If you want each device to see the same drive info each device will need the same ID or the files will need to be shared to the other person. Family share is not really what you're looking for here.

I would at the moment suggest each device/person have their own Apple ID as they do today then subscribe to a drive space and give each person access. Something like Dropbox or Onedrive and drop the files there you want to share. Each person will receive 5GB of iCloud space to use for personal drive files, personal photos and backups. The shared space would depend on the provider you choose.

5. etaf thread starter macrumors member

etaf

Thanks for the replies

I was hoping the new icloud drive - would act as this common directory - so keeping with apple rather than use onedrive
    is that possible with the new icloud drive as all the devices would be on ios8
    or am i better using onedrive and then re directing all the camera roll etc to the one drive (which I research shows it can do)
    and use that service

or have all devices on the icloud only (NOT icloud Drive) but the old icloud - so for backup and camera roll etc
    and then have a common MS account to use for the Onedrive share for all devices
    and have the onedrive app on all devices

friend really just wanted 1 place for all files etc