iPhone iOS 8? Very disappointed!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Chopsan, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Chopsan macrumors newbie

Well folks, I have to say I was very excited about upgrading to iOS 8 as it promised a raft of new features! Well, after two installs how I wish I could go back to iOS 7! I have never had to keep restarting my iphone 5S before, due to so many bugs and crashes. When I upgraded (yes, I use the term deliberately!) to Apple I would tell everyone how my computer admin time had gone down by 95%! Sadly, it seems those days are over, as Apple now seem to be obsessed with deadlines instead of quality when it comes to software. iOS 8 is truly awful for me, as many of my favourite apps are slow (remote - used to be super fast on my iphone 5s, now hangs and no longer displays art work) or just continually crash (Witness, the car dvr app). I feel very guilty about telling friends and family to upgrade and wish I could go back to iOS7 where everything worked a treat. The only good thing I find about iOS8 is the improved camera functions!

2. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

3. Chopsan thread starter macrumors newbie

I have read those, but just wanted to post my disappointment with the entirety that is iOS 8 and Apple's general lack of quality over deadlines when it comes to software, as opposed to specific software issues!

4. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I'm also disappointed in iOS 8. It broke an old app that I use. It's old, so likely the developer will no longer update it.

Tonight, I had to wipe my iPad Mini because it kept giving me an error message a number of times a day. Hopefully wiping and restoring it will resolve the issue.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Here ya go (some company for you)

Although for me, iOS8 (and iPhone 6+) have been a positive experience. As I do every year, I gave up a jailbroken OS for the new firmware (and new device) and overall have been pleased. The remaining issues will all get addressed.

6. liteshow macrumors regular

Why doesn't Apple allow us to downgrade to the latest version release that came with the device? I can see Apple not allowing certain ios release due to security bugs, etc, but how about the latest patched version of each major release? For example, iphone 5s was originally released with ios 7.0 and should be allowed to downgrade to 7.1.2. Also iphone 5 was originally released with ios 6.0 and should be allowed to downgrade to 6.1.4. Why Apple?

7. Act3, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

Act3 macrumors 65816

Because an iPad 2 running the iOS that it came with would run perfectly fine until the hardware failed.

iPad sales have been slumping, its been in the news within last year. Why allow users to bring "new" life back in to their old devices? It doesn't fit their business model.

What better way to boost sales, have them update to a subpar performing OS and have them locked into using it.

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/apple-q2-earnings-2/

And as that article points out ,"For many, the iPad they have is good enough..."

or was good enough until they updated to newer iOS.

Many people don't realize its not like a desktop computer, where you can go back to older OS.

8. Padmini macrumors 6502a

Right like there is any excuse for that, or is even remotely Apple's fault in anyway.

Apps not updated at least once every 12 months should be pulled from the store automatically IMO.

9. liteshow macrumors regular

I think Apple would hurt their sales more if they restrict ios downgrades. Just look at the number of upset people on this forum who wished they could have downgraded back to ios 7.1.2 but missed the signing dateline. Such a business model would drive upset users towards the competition.

10. Act3 macrumors 65816

Apple's business model is on selling hardware not new versions of iOS. And when competition isnt any better, you buy more apple hardware.

It'll be interesting to see how/if the windows 10 platform changes the playing field. Tons and tons of people own windows pc's and xbox's, if they can make an OS that works well with phones,tablets, xbox's , pc's and an OS that people like to tie them all together, it may work out really well for MS.

11. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

It's an old game that I liked to play and still want to play. It came out in 2010 or so. If it worked in so many previous versions of iOS, I expect it to work on iOS 8 as well. Other older apps haven't been updated and still worked.

12. chirop macrumors member

If i learned something since ios 7 , don't bothering updating your since one atleast a jailbraik+ X.1 has come out don't bother updating.

I wish that someday i can go back to Ios 6 but Apple likes to bender over their costumers.

13. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

I'm sorry but I don't see all the bugs everyone is referring to. Not just yours in this thread, but in general. I just haven't.

I previously owned an iPhone 5 on iOS 8 and it worked fine. I even found it quicker than my recently owned LG G3 at times.

But again, this is my experience, I'm not sure why iOS8 is becoming an issue for a large amount of people. I hope it does get an update that fixes things.

14. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Bear in mind that this forum represents a tiny fraction of the folks that are using iOS right now. My wife hasn't complained of any issues with iOS 8 on her iPhone 6+, and she uses the hell out of her phone. In fact, she absolutely loves her phone right now and has nothing but complimentary things to say about it.

The thing is, she's not a "techie" or a tinkerer or a developer so most of this stuff she wouldn't care about anyway. Third party keyboards and stuff like this is irrelevant to her, as it is the majority of users I would imagine.

15. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Yeah, that's true.

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Sorry but I simply don't believe you.

iOS works just fine on both of my phones and all our test phones at work so...must be your install.

17. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

I didn't want to say it like that, I mean there is a possibility that it really does not work well.

Who are you agreeing with?

18. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You are comparing iOS 7.1.x to iOS 8.0.x which is not a fair comparison.

If you are implying that iOS 7.0.X was way more stable and performed better than iOS 8.0.x than you are mistaken.

19. msvadi macrumors regular

I did not want to be in your situation, so I did not update my iPhone 5 and decided to stick with iOS 7 for the foreseeable future. Some reviews of iOS 8 are really damning, which only confirms my decision:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/10/09/ios-8-0-2-review-iphone-5/

However, I remember when iOS 7 came out last year, there were thousands and thousands of threads on every forum with people crying and complaining that they want to go back to iOS 6, even though performance-wise iOS 7 seemed to be a solid release (comparing to iOS 8). This time, it looks like most people simply swallowed bugs and crashes, as they already used to the colour scheme and etc.