Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Justpatme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
This is killing me, can't stand this on my iPad:

Any website (Safari) that I log into, including this one, when I open a thread/link in a new tab(from the same website) I have to re-enter my username and password after I upgraded to IOS 8.

Example, in the iPad threads I see a topic I want to look at. I select to open new tab in background. But when I go to that tab I am no longer logged in. While this site isn't as bad, some websites will not allow you to open it. When I try this on Facebook, the new tab will not open the link due to "you must be logged in" even though I am still logged in on the original tab.

This makes browsing the Internet not an option on my iPad...might as well use it as a paperweight.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get around this?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH

Any website (Safari) that I log into, including this one, when I open a thread/link in a new tab(from the same website) I have to re-enter my username and password after I upgraded to IOS 8.

Example, in the iPad threads I see a topic I want to look at. I select to open new tab in background. But when I go to that tab I am no longer logged in. While this site isn't as bad, some websites will not allow you to open it. When I try this on Facebook, the new tab will not open the link due to "you must be logged in" even though I am still logged in on the original tab.

This makes browsing the Internet not an option on my iPad...might as well use it as a paperweight.

Not happening here. Did you check the Safari settings to make sure nothing looks weird? Sounds almost like a cookie issue.

Maybe try clearing all history and website data in settings? Also check to make sure you aren't blocking all cookies.

-Kevin

Justpatme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Not happening here. Did you check the Safari settings to make sure nothing looks weird? Sounds almost like a cookie issue.

Maybe try clearing all history and website data in settings? Also check to make sure you aren't blocking all cookies.

-Kevin

Appreciate the response Kevin. I was afraid that others were not having the issue.

I cleared all history and website data. As for cookies, I have selected "allow from websites that I visit."

Still no luck, almost seems like a glitch when it upgraded. Is there a way to reinstall Safari?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Appreciate the response Kevin. I was afraid that others were not having the issue.

I cleared all history and website data. As for cookies, I have selected "allow from websites that I visit."

Still no luck, almost seems like a glitch when it upgraded. Is there a way to reinstall Safari?

Hmmmm....did you try killing Safari completely from the task switching interface (double tap home button and swipe safari up to remove it from running apps)?

If that doesn't do it......I would next try 2 hard resets in a row. A hard reset is, while on your home screen hold the top power button and the home button at the same time.....keep them held down until the screen powers off AND you see the Apple logo come back. Once you see the Apple logo you can let go. I usually wait till it the device restarts and then do it one more time.

See if either of those help. If not, you might want to consider making sure you do an iCloud backup and then doing an erase all and restore from that backup.

-Kevin

lockerc18

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2012

I had a similar problem with one particular site, but not all. It turned out that I had multiple IDs / passwords defined for that site, and iCloud evidently got mixed up somehow with them. I turned iCloud off for Safari, and the problem went away. Then I went into the Safari password cache (Preferences -> Passwords on my Mac) and cleaned out the extra ID and password, and turned iCloud back on, and haven't had this problem since.

This may not be your problem, but I wonder if there's some garbage collection that could be done in either the browser ID cache or iCloud or Keychain that might help.

Justpatme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Hmmmm....did you try killing Safari completely from the task switching interface (double tap home button and swipe safari up to remove it from running apps)?

If that doesn't do it......I would next try 2 hard resets in a row. A hard reset is, while on your home screen hold the top power button and the home button at the same time.....keep them held down until the screen powers off AND you see the Apple logo come back. Once you see the Apple logo you can let go. I usually wait till it the device restarts and then do it one more time.

See if either of those help. If not, you might want to consider making sure you do an iCloud backup and then doing an erase all and restore from that backup.

-Kevin

Appreciate it again Kevin, but still no luck. Removed Safari from running apps and did multiple hard resets.

Considering the iCloud, backup, erase, restore option.

Never had setup the iCloud before (hate to put data anywhere I don't control it). Thought that may be the issue, set it up but still not working when I open a new tab.

Think something just went wrong when it upgraded, was hoping I just missed a setting somewhere. Changed cookie settings then hard reset and changed back. Nothing seems to be working. I do thank you for the ideas though.

----------

I had a similar problem with one particular site, but not all. It turned out that I had multiple IDs / passwords defined for that site, and iCloud evidently got mixed up somehow with them. I turned iCloud off for Safari, and the problem went away. Then I went into the Safari password cache (Preferences -> Passwords on my Mac) and cleaned out the extra ID and password, and turned iCloud back on, and haven't had this problem since.

This may not be your problem, but I wonder if there's some garbage collection that could be done in either the browser ID cache or iCloud or Keychain that might help.

Had never setup the iCloud (hate putting data where I can't control it), just did. Still no luck. Appreciate the ideas.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Appreciate it again Kevin, but still no luck. Removed Safari from running apps and did multiple hard resets.

Considering the iCloud, backup, erase, restore option.

Never had setup the iCloud before (hate to put data anywhere I don't control it). Thought that may be the issue, set it up but still not working when I open a new tab.

Think something just went wrong when it upgraded, was hoping I just missed a setting somewhere. Changed cookie settings then hard reset and changed back. Nothing seems to be working. I do thank you for the ideas though.

Do you use anything lockerc18 talked about? If so, I'd check that.

You don't have to do the iCloud backup/restore......an iTunes backup/restore would accomplish the same thing (and be faster).

-Kevin

Justpatme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Do you use anything lockerc18 talked about? If so, I'd check that.

You don't have to do the iCloud backup/restore......an iTunes backup/restore would accomplish the same thing (and be faster).

-Kevin

Never used anything like lockerc18 suggested, but I did just now set it up and still not working.

Here is an interesting thing I just noticed. The auto fill is not working either. Which was the case in IOS 7. I always re-typed everything even though it was selected. Thought it was odd, but never really caused an issue. Once you logged into a website, it kept you logged in until a restart took place. Minor inconvenience at the time, but wasn't worried about it.

Have even setup 1password and it won't log into sites either. Thinking it may be an issue regarding the auto-fill that has been magnified after the IOS 8 upgrade.

Justpatme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Easiest solution

Appreciate all the help, just decided to install the Mercury Browser...easiest solution. Works great, no issues with new tabs.

Thanks everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.