iOS 8 Widget Customisations using Launcher

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by spooky2k, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Ledsteplin macrumors 6502a

Ledsteplin

Greg wasn't even aware the certificate had expired until I emailed him. LOL I don't recall seeing anything about a predefined message. Sounds interesting.

2. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

Haha ok really thanks for reaching out to him about it.

You can do that predefined messages with e.g. WhatsApp, Facebook messenger, iMessage, sms or Telegram.
    The feature was removed for a few months with WhatsApp but luckely they decided to added it again later on.

3. gaanee macrumors 65816

Looks like Magic Launcher also removed Settings launchers...they never disclosed it in update notes. It still has an option for Settings launchers which is empty and asks to register. ML had a couple of updates since Launcher pro was forced to remove Settings, but at least LP mentioned it in the notes, so I kept a backup copy and didn't update it and it still works. Since ML shows an option for Settings, so only realized today that it had disabled it without informing the users.

4. Ledsteplin macrumors 6502a

Ledsteplin

I figured they would have to at some point. Their app store write up still lists "Manage settings..." as a feature. That will confuse new users. Many won't know about or know where to find the url schemes with either app.

5. Paco II macrumors 65816

There all having to remove the feature. AirLaunch recently removed settings launchers as well after being told to by Apple. Hopefully custom settings launcher will continue to work, but that's all on Apple.

6. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

Now that you mentioned it. It's pretty odd that they (Magic Launcher) didn't mention this removal in their App Store update nor did they mention anything about it on their website, Twitter or Facebook. It's also very odd that it's still showing up in their app but it shows up empty now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sure hope that existing custom settings launchers will indeed remain to work.
    It's one of the most used launchers I use (e.g. change WIFI, see current WIFI name, see all available bluetooth devices, turn on/off 3G/4G, battery usage per app)

7. hieubtcoltech macrumors newbie

hieubtcoltech

Hi, I'm the developer of Magic Launcher and I’m really sorry for this. Apple just sent me message about asking me to remove the Settings from my app nor they will pull down my app from App Store. So I have to disable it immediately and will notify users in the upcoming updates

8. gaanee macrumors 65816

Thanks for posting here. Did Apple give any reasons for having to remove Settings launchers?
    Also, do the Settings launcher URLs reside in the app or they are implemented on the server side?
    There were a couple of updates of Magic Launcher since Apple began forcing and in the absence of any mention in the release notes was glad to see the Settings option still there, though didn't realize that was disabled and was just a placeholder now.
    It would have been helpful to inform users about it, so if anyone wanted they could keep a backup of older version.

9. hieubtcoltech macrumors newbie

hieubtcoltech

They said that Settings URLs are their private APIs so they do not allow 3rd apps to use them. At this moment, we can still use them as normal by searching for Settings launcher from Magic Launcher

10. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

It's much appreciated that you posted your response here as well after I approached you via e-mail and posted this link to you.

Thanks for pointing that out that we can still find the 'Settings' app and it's settings via the App Launcher > Search > Settings where you will get the Settings launcher. It seems Apple wasn't really thoroughly on this but aren't you afraid that they might remove your app when they found out after all that there you are still referring to their 'private Settings API'?

11. hieubtcoltech macrumors newbie

hieubtcoltech

I have turned it on temporarily for current version only. In the upcoming version, it will be disabled completely.

12. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

Aha good to know. Still such a shame Apple took this decision. I hope they change their mind on this. I still think they should actually open up these features for third parties instead of blocking them or then at least allow it untill the functionality is finally build and available in e.g. iOS11 into the Control Center so people with and without 3D Touch can choose their quick settings and have these advanced features e.g. to switch between WIFI points and Bluetooth devices without going into Settings app first.

13. hieubtcoltech macrumors newbie

hieubtcoltech

That would be great if they integrate it into Control Center. I don't know why Apple doesn't listen to their users

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. And even when they do (to one degree or another) it can take some time. The existence of something like the Control Center is in itself an example of that.

15. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

It's currently impossible @hieubtcoltech to add new app via the suggested app feature. It keeps loading after you try to add a suggested app via the Magic Launcher app.

16. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

In Launcher, I currently am able I launch sounds and cellular data setting via the shortcuts, but the shortcut for location settings is not working. Does anyone have a working link for location settings?

17. pacorob, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017

pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

I think the one from the topic start post is the same one that I'm also currently using.
    Location Services: Prefs:root=LOCATION_SERVICES (iOS8)
    Location Services: Prefs:root=Privacy&path=LOCATION (iOS9/10)
    I just tested it in Magic Launcher and my Location setting still works.

18. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

For some reason that shortcut doesn't work with Launcher, maybe someone with the Launcher app can give it a try and see if it works.

19. gaanee macrumors 65816

Location Services: Prefs:root=Privacy&path=LOCATION

Also, for both Launcher Pro and Magic Launcher, it seems the app content including URL paths to create new launchers are not hard coded in the app and it fetches that information from servers without user action.
    Since LP removed Settings, I had not updated the app hoping that the old version will retain the ability to create Settings launchers or at least will be able to check Settings URL path and make custom launchers, but even in the old version, option for Settings has disappeared.

20. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

Thanks for the shortcut path to location.

I have been able to access settings that I am interested in by creating custom launcher in the Launcher app.

21. Ledsteplin macrumors 6502a

Ledsteplin

22. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

23. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

My apologies I've mentioned the old iOS8 URL scheme for location settings. It's good that the other uses already supplied it with the latest one for iOS9/10.

Location Services: Prefs:root=LOCATION_SERVICES (iOS8)
    Location Services: Prefs:root=Privacy&path=LOCATION (iOS9/10)

A long list of those is already covered in the topic start here as well. I just made a copy of that as well so it's also available here.

It also seems that they changed a few URL schemes as of iOS9/10 which were accessible with a different URL scheme in iOS8 as you can also see in the topic start post here.

24. gaanee macrumors 65816

Has anyone tried Launcher apps with iOS 11 beta? How well do they work or Apple blocked access to Settings API?

25. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

I also wonder about that as well. I did saw a message in the Testflight invite from Greg from Cromlent Labs that there were general issues with iOS11 and Launcher and that that Testflight version should fix compatibility with iOS11 in the Launcher app. But nothing about Setting URL schemes and if they still work. I think he is too afraid to mentioning anything about that nowadays.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.