iOS 8 Widgets...?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Th3taJ, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Th3taJ macrumors member

Th3taJ

I'm sure this has been discussed prior and I know it was mentioned a bit during WWDC, but I was curious find out opinions on whether or not people would like widgets as an option on their iPhone or iPad and what type of widgets they would like to see.

I've read some articles stating that Apple users don't actually want widgets on their mobile. In this circumstance, would there even be any point in taking the time to add widget to iOS 8 if no one would use them in the first place?

Your opinion on this matter is greatly appreciated. :)

I'll start:

I don't have a huge preference on widget availability on Apple devices and I don't even know that I would use them all that often since I only user a weather widget when I was an Android user. On my iPhone, I have icons and a few folders, all viewable on the first page right when I turn on my phone. It makes my phone feel organized and easily accessible when others look for something on my phone. If I were to add widgets, those icons would be divided between multiple pages and would not be viewable right away.

So in the end, I think Widgets is a good idea, but I don't see myself using them all that much. Admittedly, I do miss my weather widget on my old Nexus phone. I would probably use that on my Apple devices if it was available.

2. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

We aren't getting widgets the same way Android does. They will only be in the notification center, not on the home screen. I think this is a great implementation of them. It will allow quick actions on things you interact with frequently. Easily see a sports score by opening your notification window, or bid on an ebay auction you were previously outbid on. Might even bring back posting to Facebook from the notification center too. Or music player controls. Lots of possibilities.

3. Th3taJ thread starter macrumors member

Th3taJ

Yeah, that sounds great! :)

I wonder if you'll be able to pick in choose what's in the notification center.

That would be even better. :cool:

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Looking at the apps on my phone, only one I would definitely like for a widget (Deliveries) and a few that may benefit (heath and fitness trackers) but could do without.

5. Th3taJ thread starter macrumors member

Th3taJ

Yeah, see I'm the same way :rolleyes:

That may even be why I like Apple so much because they don't focus on things the end-user might not necessarily need. However, other may see these lack of necessities as a real problem so I am glad they're implanting Widgets and iOS 8, but only in the notifications area.

6. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Oh yes definitely. At the bottom there is an Edit button where you can choose what shows up and what order you want them in.

7. Th3taJ, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014

Th3taJ thread starter macrumors member

Th3taJ

Does this apply to iOS 7 as well?

I'm gonna go check.

Apologies for the ignorance.

I can't live without my iPhone, but I honestly do very little exploration on this nifty device. :eek:

8. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

nope, it's only available on ios8

the "today" section in notification center is where they'll all be, and you'll be able to arrange the order of them and add and remove what you want.

personally, i'm most excited about getting a better weather widget in there that will show me a week long forecast with icons (like ios 6 did).

9. dof250 macrumors regular

Thats true for the today section, but the notifications can be arranged and selected in iOS 7 already. Even earlier versions

10. Bonestle macrumors member

Bonestle

I mentioned this in a different thread but I would love to see the Remote app updated to give us quick access to Apple TV controls without having to load the app.

11. pedrodaguitarra macrumors member