iOS 8 & Yosemite - Designed for the hard of sight?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sonicrobby, Oct 25, 2014.

1. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Im curious if anyone else noticed how huge everything is in iOS7/8 along with Yosemite. Why is apple making everything so spaced out. I feel it is a waste of space. I personally would like to see less per item and more items. Some screenshots below comparing iOS6 on my iPhone 5 and iOS7 on the 5S. Im curious if there is a way to change this, but I will explore later in the jailbreak section for that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The lack for contrast makes it harder to see, so I don' t think the design was intended for people have poor eye sight.

3. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Very true, I wonder then why the spacing then? I assumed it may provide better readability, but I can't really figure out the reasoning. It makes me curious

4. zamoht macrumors member

zamoht

5. Jayson A macrumors 68000

6. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

ROCK ON! Exactly why ios 7/8 looks like PURE garbage.

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

It's definitely not for the visually impaired. They have ways to supersize fonts to 36 or even 72pt font or have a lot more voice interaction. UIs mean very little to someone who is legally blind. Apple is very good at working with the blind community to build support from the ground up, but I don't believe that's the basis for the changes in iOS 7 or 8.

8. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

As a programmer I can tell you that (to me) adding margins for the GUI makes things look better. When I first started working on my app I didn't add any padding or margins and asked some decs for feedback and that was something they criticized. Now is it too much? I would say no, you would say yes. But I will say that since iOS 7 did do away with buttons, adding more space keeps things from looking like they belong together.

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I have very little vision left in my right eye, and have never had any vision in the other.

No way would I say that these new design choices are any better for me.

But I'm not complaining either.

10. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

Great blog BTW.

11. notrack macrumors 6502

Good point, I thought the same when I saw iOS 7 the first time. If they do away with shapes, textures and colours, they need empty space to visually separate elements. For small screens like phones and tablets that seems counter productive.

12. lrsone macrumors 6502

They should've given us a dark mode in iOS 8.

13. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Kind of helped. Even so, the spacing stays the same in photos and notification center.

14. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

True. Although I do like it personally. #

15. lulumink macrumors regular

Completely agree. I still think iOS 6 design is far better. So much easier to read and interpret the usage of every button.

This new design fails in many ways. People like the new design because the old design has been there too long, not necessarily bad.

I still don't understand why all the sudden people like 2D instead 3D. It's counterintuitive.

16. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

Apple is now on this kick that information density is somehow bad. More leading and padding is supposedly good and makes everything seem "light and airy". But it mostly just makes users scroll more.

Does FaceTime really need this much space to be read and selected (from Contacts)?

[​IMG]