Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
Hi;

this morning i saw that diagnostic log on my 5s, it's not a respring / springboard crash but happened 2nd time on iOS 9

when i pull down the notification center, i see my widgets are reloading again. battery usage sections are OK. no dashes

it looks like iOS 9's new feature, automatic memory reset :)

sorry i can not add the log because i removed accidentally with iTunes sync.

Anybody has got that log? Or do you know what causes that?

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2013
I got that log in iOS 9 and 9.0.1.

Not quite sure what causes it but it looks like it corresponds to the jetsam log at the same time.

It seems to only happen at night when I'm sleeping.

I thought I was the only one having these logs.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
I got that log in iOS 9 and 9.0.1.

Not quite sure what causes it but it looks like it corresponds to the jetsam log at the same time.

It seems to only happen at night when I'm sleeping.

I thought I was the only one having these logs.

yes,specially happens at night,and charging, not happening so often, that's why i can not say it's corresponding to jetsam logs or not, but i have got several jetsam logs before. so that's a different thing.

maybe it's a new feature ''memory free up'' when the device is idle mode and the memory level is not so much.

if you have,can you share your system memory reset log here?

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2013
IMG_1120.PNG IMG_1121.PNG

Some images with the logs.

Apart from the top section, everything below is basically a jetsam log.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
View attachment 587740 View attachment 587741

Some images with the logs.

Apart from the top section, everything below is basically a jetsam log.

well..interesting but,my log was also created at 03:02:12 AM :)

so that may be not an issue,it may be a new ''feature'' :)

it says ''system memory exceeded 233.67 mb to 225 mb''

and how many apps were active on the background? do you remember?

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2013
well..interesting but,my log was also created at 03:02:12 AM :)

so that may be not an issue,it may be a new ''feature'' :)

it says ''system memory exceeded 233.67 mb to 225 mb''

and how many apps were active on the background? do you remember?

Can't actually tell you since iOS 9 removed that feature of getting running processes. But I turned off background app refresh so it should be updating less.

Salvor Hardin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
the Jetsam event is triggered when a active app needs more RAM so backgrounded apps are cleared out so I suspect this new event is like that but for iOS system processes, this would include widgets which would explain why it had to be reloaded. Perhaps this was put in place to deal with the random resprings that started happening with 8.3, SystemMemoryReset might be a alternative to respring altogether so the springboard doesn't have to be restarted when a system process causes a problem.

This being added after the random resprings that plagued 8.3-8.4 makes me think that it's response to that problem, the resprings weren't so random as most have noted that they would occur while updating apps suggesting that a problem was detected with the app update process with the only option being a respring to resolve it, now they might possibly have a better option that is far less annoying to the user.

Last edited:

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
the Jetsam event is triggered when a active app needs more RAM so backgrounded apps are cleared out so I suspect this new event is like that but for iOS system processes, this would include widgets which would explain why it had to be reloaded. Perhaps this was put in place to deal with the random resprings that started happening with 8.3, SystemMemoryReset might be a alternative to respring altogether so the springboard doesn't have to be restarted when a system process causes a problem.

This being added after the random resprings that plagued 8.3-8.4 makes me think that it's response to that problem, the resprings weren't so random as most have noted that they would occur while updating apps suggesting that a problem was detected with the app update process with the only option being a respring to resolve it, now they might possibly have a better option that is far less annoying to the user.

Yes, I realize that random resprings stopped after iOS 9. Just saw 2 times system memory reset log on 9 and 9.0.1 both of them at night when charging, device was in idle mode. So we can say that's a fix for random resprings . Or a new feature :) and yes, less annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.