Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcgandalf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Hi,

First time poster - long time lurker.

I have an iPhone 6 128 GB running iOS 9.2.1. My Spotlight search isn't working at all. I scroll down, or right from the home screen, the iPhone displays the fuzzy screen with the 'Search' field, I enter a search term (any search term - e.g. just for 'Messages') and nothing appears at all, ever.

I've been to Settings > General > Spotlight Search, turned OFF every entry in the Search Results list and then turned ON the entries which I want to be included in Spotlight search (roughly 10% of what is available - but the most important ones e.g. Messages, Apps, Contacts etc). I figured that only enabling Spotlight for a subset of search categories might improve performance?

I've also tried a trick which other people have documented, where you send an email from your iOS Mail app to the default email address for that Mail app (in other words, you email yourself) - in my case, that mail provider is Gmail, if it makes any difference.

Still no Spotlight search results whatsoever.

Is there anything I'm missing?

schmegs

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
Burbank, CA
This keeps happening to me, too (in 9.2.1, but I think it started in 9.2). I've found that if I turn off the Siri Suggestions, it works again. Then I can turn back on Siri Suggestions, and it'll still work for a while. It does stop working again though at some point (maybe after a restart or something), 'cause I do have to repeat that change often...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.