Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faaasan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2015
Hi guys!

I've got an iPhone 6s which's on 9.2.1. However, I'd like to update it. How's 9.3.1 battery in comparison to iOS 9.2.1 on 6s?

kch50428

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
North Iowa
How you use your phone is going to have a much greater impact on battery life than anything a software update might do unless the update had a nasty bug... and there hasn't been any news of anything like that.

Reactions: Shirasaki

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's all about the same. Various people will have different experiences, and some might have some issues (as is pretty much the norm with any update), but ultimately that doesn't really say much what you will notice with your devices and your use.

Reactions: Yun0

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hi, FWIW, few weeks ago, I was in the process of upgrading my iPad Air 2 to 9.3 from 9.2.1 and next my iPhone 5s. In a one week time frame, I could see a huge drop in battery life on my iPad. From almost 15 hours of use to 9-10. So I restrained from upgrading the 5s. After combing the Web for hints at getting back some life in tis battery, I was before the choice of practically using my iPad without Bluetooth, Wifi, Mail, Safari, Location or downgrading to 9.2.1 which I did before Apple stopped signing it. So I didn't want to take the chance with the 5s. So both run now with 9.2.1. Apart from having an iMac, I was an Android guy. So for me, the transition has been a little rough. Add to this that Airdrop is unusable on my iPad and after multiple searching and posting, no solution has come up. Let's put it this way: I'm a little scared at 9.3.1. Sorry for being the bad news guy this morning.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Everyone should update to 9.3.x ASAP.
9.2 has some major security flaws.

http://www.itnews.com.au/news/apple-plugs-large-number-of-security-holes-in-ios-92-412833
Hi, FWIW, few weeks ago, I was in the process of upgrading my iPad Air 2 to 9.3 from 9.2.1 and next my iPhone 5s. In a one week time frame, I could see a huge drop in battery life on my iPad. From almost 15 hours of use to 9-10. So I restrained from upgrading the 5s. After combing the Web for hints at getting back some life in tis battery, I was before the choice of practically using my iPad without Bluetooth, Wifi, Mail, Safari, Location or downgrading to 9.2.1 which I did before Apple stopped signing it. So I didn't want to take the chance with the 5s. So both run now with 9.2.1. Apart from having an iMac, I was an Android guy. So for me, the transition has been a little rough. Add to this that Airdrop is unusable on my iPad and after multiple searching and posting, no solution has come up. Let's put it this way: I'm a little scared at 9.3.1. Sorry for being the bad news guy this morning.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Reactions: decafjava

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello, I've been late to the party but I finally updated to 9.3.1 after hanging to 9.2.1. In short and as I say in another post about my Airdrop problem concerning my Air 2 able to send files buulable to receive. After 60 minutes + with the Apple guy, was decided to update to 9.3.1 and set iPad as new. That solved my Airdrop problem but the other one I was concerned about, that is battery life being diminished, so happened and here are two screen captures to show it. Please comment and say something to poor me. First, here's my iPad story: this one is the third one, came with 8.5, upgraded to 9.2 and 9.2.1. Battery life was as it shows in the January screen, then upgraded to 9.3 that cut battery life in two, reverted back to 9.2.1 and battery life went up but Airdrop was down. As you can see, I'm losing 5 hours which is big time loss. What is there to do? I'm much fed up and this experience with an iPad is more or less of a disappointment.

2016 May.PNG

2016 jan - copie.jpg

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Hello, I've been late to the party but I finally updated to 9.3.1 after hanging to 9.2.1. In short and as I say in another post about my Airdrop problem concerning my Air 2 able to send files buulable to receive. After 60 minutes + with the Apple guy, was decided to update to 9.3.1 and set iPad as new. That solved my Airdrop problem but the other one I was concerned about, that is battery life being diminished, so happened and here are two screen captures to show it. Please comment and say something to poor me. First, here's my iPad story: this one is the third one, came with 8.5, upgraded to 9.2 and 9.2.1. Battery life was as it shows in the January screen, then upgraded to 9.3 that cut battery life in two, reverted back to 9.2.1 and battery life went up but Airdrop was down. As you can see, I'm losing 5 hours which is big time loss. What is there to do? I'm much fed up and this experience with an iPad is more or less of a disappointment.

View attachment 631461

View attachment 631462

Your app usage is different though. in 9.2 you barely used flipboard (4%) whereas in 9.3, you've used it more (22%)

Also, your standby time is lower in 9.2 which translated into more usage time.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Your app usage is different though. in 9.2 you barely used flipboard (4%) whereas in 9.3, you've used it more (22%)

Also, your standby time is lower in 9.2 which translated into more usage time.

While it doesn't really matter it should be mentioned that standby time runs with usage time. More accurately it should be called "Total Time" since the device was unplugged. This is why you'll never see usage time greater than standby which if it was actually standby time (indicating something unrelated to usage time) should be very common.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Some of the games I own took a performance hit after I updated to 9.3 and beyond. No idea why.

I wish apple could just improve everything instead of trading improvements on some areas for lag in others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.