Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
Apple blows it again. Ever since I got my "new" iPhone 6s I've had the same problems I've had with iOS9 on the older iPhone 5.

This time is THE first time ever, in the many many years I've had iPhones since the 3GS, that an update FAILS to download -- couldn't even click on the "agree" button to complete the update!

It went fine with my iPad mini2 -- failed miserably on my spiffy new iPhone 6s -- wow.

I think it might be something to do with lock screen coz the iPhone is just being retarded -- stopping the update whenever it goes into sleep.

This was not a problem for my iPad mini?

Thank you Apple, again, for thinking just because you were great in the past, that you think we're all idiots ho just go for the brand. I always went for the convenience... but your standards have since degraded.

Hoping I can get this update installed via my macbook...

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
This time is THE first time ever, in the many many years I've had iPhones since the 3GS, that an update FAILS to download -- couldn't even click on the "agree" button to complete the update!

So basically, you've had an excellent experience when it comes to updating your phone, going back many, many years. There's a glitch on one device, one time, and suddenly it's THE END OF THE WORLD! A bit of an overreaction, yes?

BradWould

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
You think that's bad? I've owned every iPhone since the original one was released. I've got a Macbook Pro, an AirPort Extreme, an Apple TV, and an Apple Watch. I've never had an issue with any Apple product..UNTIL NOW. I got up this morning and turned on my iPhone 6s + and it took touch ID 2 tries to unlock my phone! WTF Apple?! This is inexcusable! I'm selling everything.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Apple blows it again. Ever since I got my "new" iPhone 6s I've had the same problems I've had with iOS9 on the older iPhone 5.

It went fine with my iPad mini2 -- failed miserably on my spiffy new iPhone 6s -- wow.

I think it might be something to do with lock screen coz the iPhone is just being retarded -- stopping the update whenever it goes into sleep.

Thank you Apple, again, for thinking just because you were great in the past, that you think we're all idiots ho just go for the brand. I always went for the convenience... but your standards have since degraded.

1. You provide NO information as to what you have tried or haven't tried to resolve this. You know, important things like: Home Wifi, work Wifi? did you restart your phone and try again?

2. If Apple screwed up than this problem would be a headline on every tech site (which it isn't) which means YOU are the only one with this problem (unless others come forward also).

3. Your attitude sucks. Apple doesn't owe you anything.

ericgedi77

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
You think that's bad? I've owned every iPhone since the original one was released. I've got a Macbook Pro, an AirPort Extreme, an Apple TV, and an Apple Watch. I've never had an issue with any Apple product..UNTIL NOW. I got up this morning and turned on my iPhone 6s + and it took touch ID 2 tries to unlock my phone! WTF Apple?! This is inexcusable! I'm selling everything.

You're touching it wrong.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio

How dare you foist all that crap on an unsuspecting purchaser thereby crushing their faith in mankind?

geekguy123

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
9.2 worked great for my 6+. Finally feels smooth, although some apps, like Photos, take an extra second to fill up the cache for smooth scrolling.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
I agree with your general sentiment, except...

2. If Apple screwed up than this problem would be a headline on every tech site (which it isn't) which means YOU are the only one with this problem (unless others come forward also).

There was (still is?) a serious issue affecting a small number of users' iCloud backups. Forbes posted a short article about it and I haven't seen it discussed anywhere else (except here and on the Apple community forums).

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I agree with your general sentiment, except...

There was (still is?) a serious issue affecting a small number of users' iCloud backups. Forbes posted a short article about it and I haven't seen it discussed anywhere else (except here and on the Apple community forums).

No iOS update is flawless or perfect for everyone. Some people do experience issues.

what really gets me is OP had trouble upgrading the iOS on his phone but it was successful on his other device. Instead of coming to a logical conclusion of "if it worked on my other device it must be something with my phone" he throws a childlike tantrum and labels the entire release as garbage and disappears from the thread.

Reactions: newellj

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014

Why not try to update thru iTunes before posting that the update didn't work (as I assume you tried to update via OTA since you did not state what method you used)? Maybe the servers were busy when you tried. Just cuz it failed once doesn't mean it's not downloadable.

waterbound

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2015
I have to ag

I have to agree with you. There are several threads starting to build up with various issues regarding the IOS 9.2 update. The most concerning is the battery drain issues which is appearing to plague more and more devices as the update is completed. I started searching to see if others were having issues with battery draining and sure enough, post 9.2 upgrade there are many threads forming to indicate a bug in their code etc. At least with more and more folks complaining about the issues, Apple will hopefully shoot out a resolution quickly. Good luck with your issues.

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
I have to ag

I have to agree with you. There are several threads starting to build up with various issues regarding the IOS 9.2 update. The most concerning is the battery drain issues which is appearing to plague more and more devices as the update is completed. I started searching to see if others were having issues with battery draining and sure enough, post 9.2 upgrade there are many threads forming to indicate a bug in their code etc. At least with more and more folks complaining about the issues, Apple will hopefully shoot out a resolution quickly. Good luck with your issues.
Are you sure it is the OS and not an app that is draining your battery? Some peeps have said the fb app is still draining a lot of battery among various others. Battery on my 6+ is great.

Reactions: ABC5S

waterbound

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2015
I am not sure but I did remove FB (even though I use it every 2-3 months) just to be sure. This is what I posted on Apple's forums:

As of this morning my Ipad 4 had charged to 90% and that was charging overnight after a reset and restore. Again, using the Ipad for a few minutes drained the Ipad roughly 20% which is definitely not considered normal. I understand that there have been countless posts, threads regarding battery/charging related issues and this would be one more to add to that list. Unfortunately for me, this is the 1st time I have ever been impacted or had any application resulting in battery drain issues after a firmware update. I tried the recommended procedure that some indicated resolved the issues which unfortunately did not appear to resolve my specific issues with battery drain. I only started looking for answers yesterday when I decided to see if there were similar problems being reported and quickly found several threads indicating the same symptoms. My Ipad was working perfectly prior to the 9.2 upgrade. I have had great battery life and no issues whatsoever since purchased about 3 yrs prior. The Ipad 4 is out of warranty now so I am doing what any engineer would do, search for a solution and try to resolve myself. If this was a firmware related bug, would that show up on Apple store service techs troubleshooting results etc? I am going to assume not but I may be wrong.

Since there have been several threads (and growing) started all within the past 36 hrs, all saying the same thing, those impacted either have devices that went defective at the same time (possible but not likely), those impacted have the same app installed and running that is buggy, resulting in battery drain issues (definitely possible) or there is a bug within the 9.2 firmware impacting specific devices.

I have a few of the OEM Ipad 4 chargers (2.1a?) and several of the OEM lightning USB cables, never jail broke, never used interfaces and or cables that weren't Apple and or certified by Apple etc. I usually wait a few days after a new release is available to ensure no known bugs are popping up etc., this time I decided to update without verifying first and believe I made the wrong decision. The Ipad is not too hot to touch, not running oddly, all apps seem to work as designed after restore. The Ipad just continues to drain incredibly fast at an assumed 20% rate within 5-10 minutes light use with low light, just using Safari and all known apps closed etc. The issue continues with any OEM charger and or OEM lightning cable used.

I need to look more into the indexing process, just to be more aware of the processes running post reset and restore. If anyone has any links that describes that process or anything that would be helpful, it would be greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.