iOS 9.3.1 Bug - Anyone else experiencing this?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Yebubbleman, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

On both my iPhone 6s Plus and my cellular iPad mini 4, after a reboot, both devices won't join my WiFi network until AFTER I enter in my passcode for the first time (as TouchID is not supposed to work the for the first unlock after a restart of the OS). Both devices are on Verizon.

Edit: It also happens on my WiFi-only iPad Air 2, but not my sixth generation iPod touch, so maybe it's only on devices with TouchID and/or a passcode enabled?

I know that this wasn't always how these devices behaved and it is happening on more than one of them, so I'm confident that I don't have defective hardware.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or knows more about the issue? I'd imagine that this would be quite bad for anyone on a metered data connection.

2. Cobold macrumors member

Cobold

That is a complete normal behavor since like forever (9.0 at least, but I guess even in 8.x it hass been like so). Maybe only on Touch-ID devices, I cannot check because I actually do not own any non-touchID-devices anymore.

EDIT: I do not think of it as a mayor issue. Really, how often do you actually reboot your decvie? And IF you do, then why do it "unattended" and not just wait for it, then enter PIN hand everything is fine?

3. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

Same "issue" on AT&T but I assumed it was a security feature. I only noticed recently because the 9.3.1 update is killing my battery when the phone is idling and my two phones are shutting off overnight.

4. Limey77 macrumors regular

I think this is completely standard behaviour.

You fully reboot so that Touch ID needs the password, why would it connect to a wifi network until then?? Seems foolish to think it would. And it's certainly not a big deal, it's not like it's asking you to completely reset all settings or anything.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Been like that for quite a while as I recall.

6. archvile macrumors regular

archvile

This is intended behavior that began in iOS 8 due to their full device encryption features. The OS can't read the saved Wi-Fi networks (or anything else in the keychain for that matter) until it is manually unlocked after a reboot. Another way to test this is to reboot your device, and before unlocking it, have a saved contact call you, and it will only show their number and not their name/info.

This security feature is designed so if you reboot your phone, say in the presence of law enforcement, they are unable to force you to unlock your device via Touch ID, and any and all information on the device sans Medical ID is encrypted until manually unlocked with your passcode.

This has nothing to do with 9.3.1.

Edit... Read the iOS security guide and you will learn about this and much much more.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

May be intended but it good for find my iPhone purposes.

8. archvile macrumors regular

archvile

There's no "may be" intended about it...it is ABSOLUTELY intended behavior. It's in their damn security guide.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I know it is but not my point!

10. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

That's not universally true. If may be implemented for wifi, but your phone connects to icloud services immediately after reboot (using cellular data) without unlocking it. icloud credentials are also part of the keychain.

11. Yebubbleman thread starter macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Do you have a link to this guide? Would be interested to read it.

12. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

13. Yebubbleman thread starter macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

14. Bezares macrumors regular

I can tell you it's been since 8.4 at least, it is present in devices with no touch ID as my children have 4S and iPad mini and when they reboot, those devices doesn't get conncted to wifi.

It happens the same with my iPhone 6s plus and with my wife's iPhone 6 .