ios 9.3.2 and 12.9 Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sjleworthy, May 21, 2016.

1. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

any one suffered any issues? safe to install?

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

3. sjleworthy thread starter macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

4. N8Howell33 macrumors member

N8Howell33

5. JD2015 macrumors 6502

6. Andy847 macrumors regular

Andy847

No issues here, but still no fix for having to re-pair the pencil after turning the IPP off. I thought they were going to include a fix in the last two updates, but no, still nothing. Getting a bit aggravated that I have to always keep my IPP on now. It's a pain I didn't have to deal with before the update to 9.3. Pencil always stayed connected even when turned off.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Why do you turn your iPad off? I never turn my iPads off, just put them to sleep when not in use.

8. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Typically when you do a restart, or put the device into Airplane mode.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Airplane mode doesn't require you to turn off your iPad. And situations where I have to restart the iPad are very rare.

10. ericwn macrumors 6502a

That's my experience as well. I usually only restart every couple weeks if I feel something is too slow or I want to troubleshoot something.

11. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

No, but it forces the Bluetooth off, which is how the Pencil communicates with the iPad. I think when that link is broken, for whatever reason, the Pencil has to be re-paired. According to Apple:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205236

12. Andy847 macrumors regular

Andy847

I understand, but I use to turn it off every few nights when charging. Just habit. It never had to be paired again after a reboot before the 9.3 update. I'm not the only one complaining about this, there is a thread on the Apple Support page with others saying the same thing. Same on another forum I'm on. I just don't understand why they changed it. I do keep it on all the time now, but there are times I have to turn it off.

13. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Well, TBH, I don't get it either. My Bluetooth headphones remain paired when I turn them and the iPad off. I turn those devices on and I do not have to go through another re-pairing. Not sure why it's different with the Pencil.

14. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

The Pencil turns off when you turn Bluetooth off. This is the best way to save its battery life. To turn it back on you just have to re-enable Bluetooth on the iPad then plug the pencil in for a couple of seconds. If it didn't do this then the battery on the pencil wouldn't last very long when it wasn't in use as it would keep polling for the iPad.