iOS 9.3.2 Beta Reportedly Fixes 'White Screen of Death' Game Center Bug

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 12, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A long-standing bug in Game Center that renders many games unplayable has reportedly been resolved in the latest public beta of iOS 9.3.2.

Game Center for iOS is a necessary component of many turn-based multiplayer App Store titles, which rely on Apple's social gaming network to enable gamers to invite friends, start multiplayer matches, and compete for high scores.

The bug, which first appeared in iOS 8, affects many popular games of the sort and involves the Game Center app launching as a white screen, crashing games to a white screen, and/or the Settings app freezing when Game Center's options are selected.

TouchArcade forum member and journalist Craig Grannell's video of the bug in action.

MacRumors sister site TouchArcade, which has a thread in its forums discussing the bug spanning over 75 pages, now notes that the 'white screen of death' bug appears to have been resolved, although given the long-standing nature of the problem, gamers remain understandably wary.
    The latest posts on the forum thread suggest that Apple's latest beta has resolved the problem for many affected users, although claims of official confirmation from Apple that the bug is fixed remain unsubstantiated.

Apple released the first beta of its upcoming iOS 9.3.2 update to public testers last Thursday, just a day after seeding the beta to developers.

Those who want to be a part of Apple's beta testing program can sign up to participate through the beta testing website, which gives users access to both iOS and OS X betas.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program will receive the iOS 9.3.2 update over-the-air after installing the proper certificate on their iOS device.

Article Link: iOS 9.3.2 Beta Reportedly Fixes 'White Screen of Death' Game Center Bug

2. bushido Suspended

bushido

speaking off, i havent opened this app since iOS 6 or so. I assume it still does not sync ALL games automatically to the Cloud which would be the only reason to use it?

3. Simche macrumors member

Simche

Wow, was a while I saw Game Center! Didn't know it still existed xD

4. KALLT macrumors 601

It does not sync anything, just achievements of games that have them. Game saves are synced separately with iCloud or something else.

5. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Apple should get rid of Game Center and simply embed it in the apps themselves, not sure if that's possible but that'd be a lot better.

6. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Does this fix the issue in having? All my supercell games such as clash of clans say I'm not logged into Game Center under the friends list so I can't view my friends bases or anything. Sort of strange.

7. Thunderhawks Suspended

8. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

White Screen of Death + Game Center does not equal 'Bug'. That is a significant upgrade.

9. babaroga73 macrumors regular

This bug occurs to me at my Apple TV 4 ... I did override it for a couple of days (with instructions from interwebs) , but it comes back stubbornly. "Cannot log in Game Center" , every other login works as expected. What it does, is that some games sync progress through it, so I can't play a game on one device and continue on another. Also, some games use it to save progress . eg. Jetpack Joyride. Annoying as hell.

10. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

It doesn't work on my iPad trying to sync Clash Royale.

11. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

12. Burger Thing macrumors 6502a

Burger Thing

Game Center.

The iTunes Ping equivalent for Gaming under iOS. :confused:

13. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

I really hope so. Has not been working on my 5S since January. Apple advertises Game Center as something given as part of buying an iOS device, and yet we are not getting what we paid for. I understand software glitches, but this has been happening for too long. And for those wondering, yes I called Apple and have since been in regular contact with a specific employee who has been talking with the engineers.

14. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Microsoft Surface 4

15. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

I honestly don't recall ever opening that app, not just in recent memory but almost ever. :confused:

16. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

White window of death. Apple is being too Microsoft ish

17. vooke macrumors 6502

vooke

I've opened it but I just can't see its value

18. mikesch macrumors member

In previous betas, I used to report this bug several times. Yesterday, I received an email by Apple telling me that the engineering team has implemented changes to fix this issue.

19. imnotthewalrus macrumors regular

imnotthewalrus

Only time I'm ever even aware of Game Center is the 2 or 3 times I have to cancel it after getting a new phone or restoring an old...
    I have always wished Apple would make it an optional download. I will never use it.

20. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

I would have forgotten game center entirerly, yet it wouldn't be activated again with every iCloud sign-up on my iPhone or iPad...

21. ryanissamson macrumors newbie

Like iTunes and a host of other apple apps, Game Center is one that has no clear purpose.

22. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

over under on a 9.3.3 update by the end of the month?

23. 2457282 Suspended

Just to repeat what others are pointing to -- what exactly is the point of Game Center. I have never used it except that when I download a game I can use my Game Center log in for the game. This is certainly a service that Apple needs to do something with, like homekit. Services that really don't seem to do a whole lot.