Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
You're right... it's not the end of the world.

However, just a minor version ago, it didn't happen at all. Also, a couple of versions ago, I could play openGL games without frame drops. Then, since 9.3, these games stutter for me on my iPad (and restoring and setting as new doesn't fix the problem).

Like I've said previously, I have never had this many issues with iOS before iOS 8. Also, something along the way happened to iTunes and syncing is not reliable anymore. I have so many issues syncing music that's locally stored on my computer. My iTunes library is very organized, tagged, and every single piece of artwork is set, yet I still get instances where random songs decide not to sync or songs are in my library, but not in the playlist that it's supposed to be in. Also, I'll think everything is fine, but then a song will skip part of the way through to the next song... it's frustrating... then later the same day, that same song plays fine all the way through! All of this started with iOS 8 and has been frustrating ever since. My wife experiences the same issues (and even some different ones).

So it's not just frame drops. iOS is a mess now. Everything used to work beautifully, but that is gone now.

And iOs used to be super simple and run web apps only. More complexity in an OS each version brings growing pains. Android in comparison is an absolute crap mess compared to iOS still.

People want to compare performance on a more feature stripped down OS version from years ago to what the OS can do currently. It doesnt always work that way, even with better processors and more RAM.

Reactions: Enygmatic

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
And iOs used to be super simple and run web apps only. More complexity in an OS each version brings growing pains. Android in comparison is an absolute crap mess compared to iOS still.

People want to compare performance on a more feature stripped down OS version from years ago to what the OS can do currently. It doesnt always work that way, even with better processors and more RAM.
Have to agree there are way more annoyances than in the past. And really your argument isn't exactly valid unless you are saying that iOS is 10x or whatever slower than past versions because it has more features. If you watch the new hardware keynotes every new device is 5x or 10x faster, better than the previous model. So technically it should perform 10x better not worse if the hardware is THAT much faster like they say and show in their fancy graphs. The devices should blaze and they simply don't. Something not quite adding up there.

Reactions: g-7

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Have to agree there are way more annoyances than in the past. And really your argument isn't exactly valid unless you are saying that iOS is 10x or whatever slower than past versions because it has more features. If you watch the new hardware keynotes every new device is 5x or 10x faster, better than the previous model. So technically it should perform 10x better not worse if the hardware is THAT much faster like they say and show in their fancy graphs. The devices should blaze and they simply don't. Something not quite adding up there.

That's true. Even Apple's newest devices like the iPad Pro struggles on iOS 9 at times. It's definitely not as smooth as it used to be.

Reactions: g-7

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Lets stay on topic, a number of posts were removed that were not germane to the subject matter.

Reactions: atlchamp

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Ignore the 62% charge. I have not been using it that much. One hour of usage maybe. What gives?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    213.2 KB · Views: 238

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
So I purged settings again and deleted Facebook. It's charging quickly again and discharging closer to what is normal (was hitting almost 11 hours at one point on 3.3.2, I'll take 7 hours at this point - was like 2 hours at its worst)
So Facebook is the culprit? I think in your case, it is.
I have restrictions on so not a really big deal for me. Gaming + other browsing stuff. 6hrs average. not bad.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Yup, but get ready to brace yourself. This is just the calm before the storm. In just a couple of weeks... We'll all cycle back to calling iOS 10 the worst thing ever, hyperventilating over perceived or actual lag -- "OMG teh studder!", and accusing Apple of intentionally, with deliberate criminal malice, crippling iOS to sell new iPhones and iPads. Among many other things.

Looking forward to it .

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
So Facebook is the culprit? I think in your case, it is.
I have restrictions on so not a really big deal for me. Gaming + other browsing stuff. 6hrs average. not bad.
It helped a bit but I still dropped from 95% to 78% just now with probably 45 minutes of use. Still pretty terrible. I see Tinder is taking up 50% but I really don't use it that much to justify this type of usage. So next is to eliminate that and see where that takes me.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Ok in airplane mode listening to music, it drained 10% in 45 minutes. 4% drained just now making two posts. This sucker is toast. I turned off a bunch of crap abusing location services like Apple Store and Nest but battery is still discharging at 500-600 Ma at standby.

Edit: two minutes in my pocket and it went down another 2

Last edited:
Reactions: simba4
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.