Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tdb2284

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
For those of you who have downloaded the third beta of 9.3 onto your device, how stable is it? Considering downloading it on my primary device, but not sure. Any input would be appreciated!

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
For those of you who have downloaded the third beta of 9.3 onto your device, how stable is it? Considering downloading it on my primary device, but not sure. Any input would be appreciated!

Stability wise, if you mean "does it crash". I would say no different compared to 9.2.1 really. There are a couple new bugs in beta 3, but nothing critical.

Installing any beta on a primary device is a risk only you can determine and depends how comfortable you are with beta software. I myself run everything on beta (both my computers and my iPhone and iPad Pro and Apple Watch.) Nothing I have actually runs official releases except the few times there might be time inbetween official and the next beta. I definitely don't recommend anyone should do that. I just don't get worried or care if something breaks temporarily. There is always downgrading off beta or just living with the bug for a week or two until the next build. Nothing yet has been device breaking for me. (The watch is the only thing that can't downgrade if something goes bad unless you send it to Apple, but I could live with a bad beta on the Watch until the next beta build since it's a luxury item and doesn't need to be used daily.)

Last edited:
Reactions: charlie wax

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
None of the beta's after iOS 9.0 final have been unstable in my opinion. I've used pretty much all of the beta's as a daily driver without any issues.

tdb2284

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
Stability wise, if you mean "does it crash". I would say no different compared to 9.2.1 really. There are a couple new bugs in beta 3, but nothing critical.

Installing any beta on a primary device is a risk only you can determine and depends how comfortable you are with beta software. I myself run everything on beta (both my computers and my iPhone and iPad Pro and Apple Watch.) Nothing I have actually runs official releases except the few times there might be time inbetween official and the next beta. I definitely don't recommend anyone should do that. I just don't get worried or care if something breaks temporarily. There is always downgrading off beta or just living with the big for a week or two until the next build. Nothing yet has been device breaking for me. (The watch is the only thing that can't downgrade if something goes bad unless you send it to Apple, but I could live with a bad beta on the Watch until the next beta build since it's a luxury item and doesn't need to be used daily.)

That makes sense. Is the public beta out yet, or is it just for developers still? By the way, how do you like the iPad pro? I am in the market for one and saw it yesterday in person, and it is HUGE!
[doublepost=1455107121][/doublepost]
None of the beta's after iOS 9.0 final have been unstable in my opinion. I've used pretty much all of the beta's as a daily driver without any issues.

Gotcha. So, when the actual public release of 9.3 comes out..will that come OTA to our phones if we are on the Beta, or how does that work?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Gotcha. So, when the actual public release of 9.3 comes out..will that come OTA to our phones if we are on the Beta, or how does that work?
Your guess is as good as mine, though Apple will likely want the update to coincide with the March keynote or maybe a little earlier.

If you are on beta, the update will still be pushed OTA to your phone, and you will be able to download and install it as normal. It will then override your beta and you will be, for all intents and purposes, be running the final version. You will want to remove the public beta profile though, otherwise you will start getting prompts to download the next iOS beta if and when it gets announced.

tdb2284

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
Your guess is as good as mine, though Apple will likely want the update to coincide with the March keynote or maybe a little earlier.

If you are on beta, the update will still be pushed OTA to your phone, and you will be able to download and install it as normal. It will then override your beta and you will be, for all intents and purposes, be running the final version. You will want to remove the public beta profile though, otherwise you will start getting prompts to download the next iOS beta if and when it gets announced.

Gotcha, thanks. Is 9.3 beta 3 out yet for the public beta, or just for developers?

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
Don't install any beta on your device. Ever. Always wait for the final version from Apple to come out. People say it stable and whatever but there are always bugs that are going to annoy you. There is always usually a battery drain and issues with apps closing or not opening properly. Just sit tight.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Gotcha, thanks. Is 9.3 beta 3 out yet for the public beta, or just for developers?
Not to my knowledge, but since the developer beta has just come out, expect the public beta to drop within these few days.

Still, I don't recommend you install it on your primary device, but that could also just be my own negative experiences speaking. The extra features are fun to play around with for a short while, but then all the bugs and instabilities start to irritate you and prove to be more hassle than they are worth, and you realise that downgrading isn't as easy or straightforward as you realise. Worse, you may even have to live with broken apps even after downgrading.

It's just not worth it, IMO.

Reactions: atlchamp

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
Not to my knowledge, but since the developer beta has just come out, expect the public beta to drop within these few days.

Still, I don't recommend you install it on your primary device, but that could also just be my own negative experiences speaking. The extra features are fun to play around with for a short while, but then all the bugs and instabilities start to irritate you and prove to be more hassle than they are worth, and you realise that downgrading isn't as easy or straightforward as you realise. Worse, you may even have to live with broken apps even after downgrading.

It's just not worth it, IMO.
At all. It's a terrible experience. Makes you hate your iPhone lol

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
iOS 9.3 beta 1,2 & 3 has been smooth & perfect for me. No problems here. Beta 3 has been stable on my iPhone 6s.
I have been on 9.2.1 for 4 days after being on beta's and it's a much more reliable experience. You can just tell the iOS is more polished and stable on final releases than betas which of course is expected. I would much rather have that than a couple of non cool features

Deeznuts.

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2015
Queens, NY
I have been on 9.2.1 for 4 days after being on beta's and it's a much more reliable experience. You can just tell the iOS is more polished and stable on final releases than betas which of course is expected. I would much rather have that than a couple of non cool features

Well some people will run into problems while on betas.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
You can just tell the iOS is more polished and stable on final releases than betas which of course is expected.
See that's not really true. 9.2B4 was the final release. Just no one knew about it until they released it to the public.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Living with betas is always like:
1) wow, this is so much faster!
2) it's more stable than I thought it would be
3) ah, there's this one bug
4) uh, more bugs
5) I don't wanna restore :(
6) that's it, DFU restore

Rinse and repeat. Don't do betas unless you need to.

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
All this talk of instability, apps not working and battery drain...i've not come across any problems with any of the 9.3 beta versions...so far.

dmnc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
Don't install any beta on your device. Ever. Always wait for the final version from Apple to come out. People say it stable and whatever but there are always bugs that are going to annoy you. There is always usually a battery drain and issues with apps closing or not opening properly. Just sit tight.
I would say that you shouldn't install a beta if you're too dependent on third party apps. Otherwise, Apple apps works pretty much the same as in the final version.
From my experience, iOS 9.3 has less bugs than 9.2.1.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
I would say that you shouldn't install a beta if you're too dependent on third party apps. Otherwise, Apple apps works pretty much the same as in the final version.
From my experience, iOS 9.3 has less bugs than 9.2.1.
I haven't seen a single bug in 9.2.1

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
Is that why every time there's a new release there are a bunch of people asking everyone if this or that has been fixed or is still there?
That doesn't mean it's a bug. Their device could just be messed up because of a glitch. A lot of these bugs people post I can't even replicate
[doublepost=1455125254][/doublepost]
Is that why every time there's a new release there are a bunch of people asking everyone if this or that has been fixed or is still there?
Give me some bugs I can replicate on 9.2.1

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That doesn't mean it's a bug. Their device could just be messed up because of a glitch. A lot of these bugs people post I can't even replicate
[doublepost=1455125254][/doublepost]
Give me some bugs I can replicate on 9.2.1
You might want to check in with all those who keep on discussing issues with every release.

Reactions: dmnc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.