iOS 9 Apple limiting 100mb so stupid

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Stickharuhi, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Stickharuhi, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015

Stickharuhi macrumors regular

Android is so good in details. Google Play Store/System updates download more than 100mb. No Limit!! The have this options.

iOS 9 is so old. Apple read this!!! My suggestions is add in iOS settings so option No Limit!!
    Because I can not download Apps,Movies,System updates with more 100mb.

Or the new limiting is 500mb or more. This is not good for iOS system update and iTunes Store. For App-Store ok. But at least something.

This feedback or bug report site from Apple. Are not good. I say this suggestions 2012,2014 but no answer!!

Note:
    I have tariff with unlimited LTE or big plans.

2. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

You are not talking directly to Apple here, you do know that?

Submit feedback if you feel strongly about it.

3. Stickharuhi thread starter macrumors regular

I know. But in year 2012 and 2014. I send 10 feedback. Then come iOS 9. A user say me always 100mb limiting :mad:

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

5. Stickharuhi thread starter macrumors regular

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Haven't tried it, but given that the thread was posted in the iOS 9 forum I would think it still works in iOS 9, so far (as it has in previous iOS versions).

7. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Apple doesn't really care about user feedback on some issues, unfortunately.

8. GreyOS, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015

GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

This is really annoying, but even if the 100mb does stay, my understanding is that the situation should improve as app thinning gets introduced later this year. It means you will only have to download the version specific to your device, rather than 32 and 64 bit versions etc. So it'll be less likely you will hit the limit.

9. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

It's there to stop stupid folk setting it to no limit then wondering where their data allowance on their network has gone with background app updates / pressing buy on the new hip app they want.

10. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

It could be an option that people on unlimited data can turn off. [edit: sorry, misread your post. You mentioned this.]

Also, when you think about it, it's a bit silly that you can update ten 99mb apps but not one 101mb app. Heh

11. Stickharuhi thread starter macrumors regular

Or for the beginning No Limit options (up to 2GB). I have here from T-Mobile unlimited 4G LTE Data.

12. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Maybe the 100mb limit over cellular is also meant to encourage app developers to write compact code and keep bloat at bay?

13. Stickharuhi thread starter macrumors regular

No. And what is with mini-games?

14. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Why do you say no?

15. Stickharuhi thread starter macrumors regular

You say the developer not good write compact code. But by games with new updates + many lvl. Is normal 100mb or more.

16. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Ever hear of Parkinson's law? The derivative idea, that a program will expand to occupy all available memory, generally holds true in my experience.

People like pushing limits. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with that. It's definitely not that the developer is "not good". They just have other priorities.

I'm not sure what you're saying about games so I won't respond to that bit.

17. I7guy macrumors G5

In this day and age of gigabit connections and super fast lte speeds no developer is going to spend time worrying about trimming the bytes.

18. Stickharuhi thread starter macrumors regular

E.g The developer make update for your mini-games. And release the update (200mb)
    And now with iOS 9 write compact code. The new updates has now 101mb. This is good. But I can not download, because of this stupid limiting!!!

19. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Dear Taylor Swift,
    I would like to be able to download apps on my 40 GB cellular data plan. Please make it happen.
    Love,
    The Doctor

20. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

There you go! :p

If I become a famous celebrity, then they'll care!

21. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Are you a developer? If yes, you just proved my point.:)

No single dev thinks they have to worry about bytes in their app, but across all devices and all apps on a network, those bytes soon add up

22. I7guy macrumors G5

Yes, I agree with your point. It's not worth my time, which translates into dollars, to worry about every last little byte.

I agree it adds up but so what?

23. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

don't buy it because it punishes consumers rather than the developers, so it's not a well targeted encouragement. And disgruntled consumers will just complain to Apple, as we see here, rather than putting pressure on the developer to slim it down.

It's a policy to protect networks.

24. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

It's not about punishment (maybe the misperception that it is about punishment is why some devs. get all prickly about it?).

It is about nudging developers to be more compact. Leave things out that aren't really necessary. If all devs. are compelled to do that, the average-device-user's experience is enhanced. Note that I said "average-device-user" and not "your-app-user". Like someone else alluded to above, devs. won't do that on their own. They're too busy chasing the next buck (and there's nothing wrong with that, just so we're clear)

Nobody is complaining to Apple here.

Precisely. And to protect Apple's good relationship with the carriers.

If Apple devices get a reputation for guzzling network data, the carriers will (rightly) raise the cost of connecting an Apple device to their networks. That makes apple devices less competitive and less attractive to consumers.

Then Apple loses device sales. BAM! There's your reason.

25. Stickharuhi thread starter macrumors regular

@Arran
    Fact is 100mb is not longer appropriate. For App-Store and iTunes Store on iOS. Or for the beginning 500mb limiting(App-Store) and 1GB limiting (iTunes Store). Because many users worldwide have big data volume from mobile provider. This would be a good step for all here. For secureness add Apple so button in iOS settings. See my suggestion!!