Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Beta is running better for you?

• iOS 9 beta 1

• OS X 10.11 beta 1

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cam Johnson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
UT
I'm just curious if anyone else is in the same boat as me. I have the beta 1 for both iOS 9 and OS 10.11 running on my main devices (yes, I go all out and risk everything), and I noticed something weird that may only apply to me.
OS 10.11 El Capitan seems to be significantly more polished for me than iOS 9. I know they are both betas and they are bound to have bugs, I'm not complaining by any means, I simply found it interesting.
Apple has about 300 million iPhones being used this year, along with 14 million iPads a quarter (not sure how many are actually in use), and then iPod touches all using iOS. My guess would be 400 million iOS devices in use right now (I could be WAY off, so please correct me if I am). Now when it comes to macs the report I last read said about 5.5 million macs that quarter. So being generous that's about 24 million Macs a year? And those probably get kept an average of 4 years so (again, being generous) about 100 million Macs out there being used. So why is OS X more polished than iOS if there are so many more people using iOS? Wouldn't you push for that to be as polished as possible?
Before this Beta I was doing the Beta tests for iOS 8.4 and OS X 10.10.4 (or whatever the last one was) and I still always felt that my computer was more stable than my iPhone. If I pay a premium to get the iPhone +, I would think that the OS on it would run better than the OS my laptop that is nearly 3 years old uses. Again, I could be way wrong in my understanding.
Another thought I had was if you look at the devices that will be running the new OSes, combining the number of iOS devices and Macs, there are way more Macs and their configurations. Wouldn't it be easier to code and polish for the fewer number of devices and configurations for iOS?
Please help me understand or let me know if anyone else sees it this way or is in this same boat. If my understanding is wrong, I would love to learn why.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Remember these are Betas. People aren't paying a premium for betas on either device. It's only folks like us that take a chance on these downloads.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Remember these are Betas. People aren't paying a premium for betas on either device. It's only folks like us that take a chance on these downloads.

You can say that again. I'm running WatchOS 2.0 Beta 1 and iOS 9 Beta 1 and can't roll back either due to no ability to downgrade the watchOS and iOS 8 won't work with the Apple watch on 2.0

Reactions: Skoal

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
I was seriously considering paying 99 dollars for a dev account just to get the betas but I stopped myself saying that was crazy. I have no intentions on developing anything in the near future. What are the risks associated with installing the beta without a UDID. I apologize if I sound uneducated on the topic I just haven't used any betas since yosemite.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
I dont believe there is any risk so long as you have a current backup you can revert to. Someone may chime in otherwise but I've read that quite a few folks have done what you describe without issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.