Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
iPhone 5s

Was terrible battery with saver mode turned on. Turned it off and now it's very good

Overall, after initial performance hiccups and lag, it's running very smooth.

Impressed, will keep the beta.

johnnyboy360

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2010
Same as the last 2 for me... Shocking battery life on a 6 and thats with saver mode on... Ridiculous... I ain't going back to 8.3/.4 cos I'll lose vital stuff that I've got after updating... Low power mode is the best of the two evils, just took it off low power mode and now I can cook eggs on my phone...

rnbwd

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2015
Seattle
iPhone 5s - clean install - battery life works great!

Caveat: I had to sign in & out of itunes / icloud, restart the phone, and wait for spotlight indexing - which is probably causing the initial battery drain. There were a few glitches (I had to pull down spotlight from the top before it worked properly on the left and now it doesn't exist on top) - but seems stable at the moment. Performance is comparable to beta 2 - unlike beta 1 which was unusable.

mikegoldnj

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
This release is a nightmare. Apps are constantly telling me there is no internet connection when I'm showing full LTE service.

Music App is not ready yet..multiple crashes.

NJFP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
Some apps are slow to launch, battery life seems the same as 8.4 (iPhone 5) Still exploring and finding out whats new in 9

roboats

macrumors member
May 22, 2015
Long Island, New York
Current Beta Battery Life Rankings (best to worst):
  1. Beta 2
  2. Beta 3
  3. Beta 1
Beta 2 had excellent battery life, so judging by that benchmark, Beta 3 is pretty poor and also below that seen in iOS 8 imo. Beta 3 will get you through the day but it's not that great. Beta 1 was extremely poor, the worst battery drain I ever had on a phone.
What about on a 5s?

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
iPhone 4s pb1 iOS 9 performance impressions:

Just wanted to give my 2 cents on the public beta performance on iOS 9, for the iPhone 4s for anyone interested

- my experience has been very good. It feels much more fluid and snappier than iOS 8.4, significantly more so for me. Texting, scrolling, switching between apps - all feels great. I tried out the battery saver, it did help my battery life a bit though not significantly. Better battery than 8.4.

I went from 7.1.2 today to 8.4 and the difference was noticeable. I then tried out 9 pb, and it was a big improvement.

The main issue for me is there is this odd delay when opening an app. I have the same issue on my 5s, so hopefully all that is required is further optimization

There were negative experiences for some with the 4s on the beta, but my experience has been surprising: 1) I did not expect it to run this smooth on the 4s, and 2) I expected it to be in line with iOS 8

So far, this feels of a similar fluidity to iOS 7 - the main thing holding it back though is this app delay. It is also not only the app delay, but between menu's (so for example if one hits "back")

That said, it is not a stuttering mess like it was at times on iOS 8.

Not everyone may have the same experience as me, but this makes me very hopeful for the final iOS 9 release for the iPhone 4s!

I also have thus far experiences less random bugs than my 5s with pb 1.

Hopefully the next pb update improves this "delay" time, which is where the seconds add up and makes apps open slowly.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Had an odd experience so far.

Installed over 8.4, data intact. Great battery, poor system performance (lag and such)

Clean installed 8.4, no backup, but set up iCloud and apple watch and installed 2 or 3 apps, then OTA PB1.
Great battery life for 24 hours, then suddenly abysmal; majorly overheating and burning 1% per minute.

Last night, clean installed 8.4, didn't touch the software or accounts, just went straight to home screen and installed iOS 9 OTA. The only app downloaded since setup is whatsapp. (Previously I had this, google plus and Twitter.
So far, amazing. Battery is phenomenal; put it in low power mode and airplane mode overnight and lost 0% battery. Before iOS 9 it was minimal, but was usually a few single digits.

We'll see if the trend follows the last time...

lionsy

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    293.5 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

latndude

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
Fort Myers,FL
Battery life depends on what is being done . iPhone 6 , here , PB 1 OS 9 , I don't notice much difference between 8.4 and this beta, my day starts at 6 am with 100 % , and around 10 PM is at 46 % , with a couple of phone calls, checking e mails, texting and checking FB or TWRr . Performance is OK. I have some strange apps closing themselves for no reason and some delays opening others.JAWBONE UP 24 no longer works, neither does KEVO lock, but, Im sure all these bugs will be iron out by final release.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Since restoring I've left wifi calls off (isn't working on EE in the beta) and the only app I've downloaded is whatsapp (which works fine). iCloud drive is currently on but backup is off.

Twitter and hangouts are the only other apps I left on the phone before the restore to try and figure out the battery drain, so it has to be one of those.

Anyone else using Twitter and/or hangouts regular, with iCloud backup on but still getting decent battery life?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How is it you guys are on b3? Is this the developer access?
What do you mean? Beta 3 has been released a little while ago (along with public beta 1 which is the same build basically).

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I just did a fresh install on my iPad, re-downloaded my apps and synced my data. My ipad mini 2 practically flies now. Performance is very smooth and speedy. Now tempted to do the same for my iphone, but it means losing all my iMessages...

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Battery life on PB1 has been pretty stellar for me on my 6 Plus. One annoying bug/unexpected behavior is that low power mode doesn't turn off when the device is plugged in. It stays on till it hits 80%.

Jaymzrudi

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2015
Norrkoping, Sweden
I had great battery life on both my iPhone 6 and my iPad air, then I turned on iCloud photo sharing and it got abysmal. Before i could easily last a full day and then some but after I activated the photo sharing it really went downhill. Anyone else noticed that?

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
The dealbreaker on my iPhone 6 is the drain and heat when using the music app. Insane. I lost about 10% in 7 mins with the screen off and the phone got ridiculously hot.
Phone Doctor is reporting CPU loads of %75+ that won't decrease even when all apps are closed. Going back to 8.4 when I get home.
Oddly enough, my iPad Air 2 is running the beta just fine. Battery life does indeed seem better and not a single overheating issue or anything. Very odd.
I just don't want to have to constantly charge my phone and mess up my battery because of a beta operating system. It's fun to see what it'll do and look like, but it's not worth the risk.

DrBlueBox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Chatham
I have all settings turned on, iPhone 6 Plus and currently on 31%

Usage: 8 hours 11 minutes
Standby: 12 hours 37 minutes

No complaints on battery life or performance for me.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The dealbreaker on my iPhone 6 is the drain and heat when using the music app. Insane. I lost about 10% in 7 mins with the screen off and the phone got ridiculously hot.
Phone Doctor is reporting CPU loads of %75+ that won't decrease even when all apps are closed. Going back to 8.4 when I get home.
Oddly enough, my iPad Air 2 is running the beta just fine. Battery life does indeed seem better and not a single overheating issue or anything. Very odd.
I just don't want to have to constantly charge my phone and mess up my battery because of a beta operating system. It's fun to see what it'll do and look like, but it's not worth the risk.

Strange indeed. Just this past Friday I was on the transit train here in my city and went from one end to the other. (45 minutes - 1 hour ride.) Screen off just about the whole time (checked new email twice.) I started with 96% and was still at 96% when I got off the train about 50 minutes later. (All music was downloaded and on the phone, so no streaming) So perhaps it's streaming that is the battery killer and not the app itself.

This was on iPhone 6 and Public Beta 1.

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Strange indeed. Just this past Friday I was on the transit train here in my city and went from one end to the other. (45 minutes - 1 hour ride.) Screen off just about the whole time (checked new email twice.) I started with 96% and was still at 96% when I got off the train about 50 minutes later. (All music was downloaded and on the phone, so no streaming) So perhaps it's streaming that is the battery killer and not the app itself.

This was on iPhone 6 and Public Beta 1.

I wasn't streaming. All the music was on my phone already. Super weird. Anyway, I'm back to 8.4 now

johnnyboy360

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2010
I literally am so p***ed off with iOS 9 and I can't even go back... iOS 9 backup won't work on 8.4, my old 8.3 backup won't work because Apple ain't signing 8.3 no more, I can't shift update to 8.4 and last time I done a reset all settings nothing changed. Any time I use emojis in anything the app instantly slows down and hangs for ages, the phone gets so hot when using, cpu is constant 60%+, WiFi calling is broken, and I won't even go in to the battery life. Having to charge it at least twice a day (Thank God for EE Power Bar). Its just a mess and 3 betas in and its still horrible for me. I severely hope beta 4 pulls out some miracle because this is ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.