iOS 9 bricked my iPhone 6!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chfilm, Sep 18, 2015.

1. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

Hey,

I wanted to install the update yesterday ota on my Iphone 6, but while it was restarting during the install, it got caught up in some sort of boot loop and then asked me to connect to my macbook pro.

itunes then told me there was a problem and that I was supposed to try and reset the iphone. Angrily I accepted.. but then it got caught up in another boot loop during reset.

Since then, I spent about an hour with apple on the phone, they tried many things, with DFU mode and everything, but nothing helped. Now I'm supposed to get a new device on monday. -_-

Awesome. not ;) At least they get me a new one for 29 €, but it's super annoying right now, because I'm currently moving to Berlin and don't have any internet in my new flat yet, except for my ipad on which I'm typing right now... Just wanted to warn you guys!

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Your phone is not bricked do a DFU restore and everything will be okay. Some find it difficult to get the phone into DFU mode. You are not in DFU unless the screen is Black.

3. chfilm, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2015

chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

Ok, if you think so? Can you explain it to me properly, maybe more properly than the apple employees did?

fyi: In itunes, it says, that my iphone is in maintenance mode. (in german ;))

4. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Plug your phone into your computer with iTunes open. Hold the power button and home button until it resets and then shows the iTunes icon on your phone screen. From there you should be able to Restore your phone.

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

That is not DFU mode.

To put your phone in DFU mode while it is plugged into Itunes you hold the Home button and power button for ten seconds and then release the power button while still holding the home button eventually the screen should go completely black and itunes should say it has detected a phone in recovery mode. If the screen does not go black try it again until successful.

6. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

This is the correct method.

7. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

WTF are you talking about? You just repeated what I said. You hold the power button and home button until the phone resets ... gets to the apple logo ... goes black for a moment ... then the iTunes logo appears ... and iTunes makes a pop up message that it's in recovery mode. Did my wording throw you off? I've done this at least 40 times with various iPhones with the recovery mode message popping up each time.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

^^^What you said.

^^^What nebo1ss said.

One of these (yours) is NOT like the other.

9. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Lol ... since you guys are being ridiculous, technically neither one of us is correct ... and all of you are wrong with your assertions. From Apple's own webpage:

To put your device into recovery mode, follow these steps:

1. Turn off your device and leave it off.
    2. Plug in your device's USB cable to a computer with iTunes.
    3. Hold down the Home button on your device as you connect the USB cable. Keep holding down the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen.
      [​IMG]
    4. When you see this screen, release the Home button. If you don't see this screen, try steps 1 through 3 again.
    When your device is connected, iTunes will open. You'll see a message saying that iTunes has detected an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in recovery mode.

That is nothing like he said and isn't what I said either.

10. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

When a phone is put in DFU mode there is nothing on the screen No Itunes Logo no cable nothing. What you have described is a method of restoring a phone but it is not DFU mode. To recover what some term a bricked phone you need DFU mode. You have obviously never used DFU mode.

11. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I think the confusion lies in that the same message appears in iTunes regardless if you use recovery mode or DFU mode. I just did your method step by step and it did in fact bring up the same pop up message, but with a black screen on the iPhone. I've apparently been confusing the two for years. I feel stupid. Thanks for the clarification. :)

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No worries. Live and learn. :D

13. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

I did all of the above, lathing helps, phone stays in boot loop after it tries to install the recovery from iTunes. :(

14. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Might need to get Apple to help you. iOS 9 isn't necessarily the culprit ... it could very well have been some underlying hardware issue that's just now rearing its ugly head (it could still be iOS 9, though).

It is still under warranty?

15. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

Yeah, well, the replacement device is on its way to me now! ;)

16. RickLopez, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015

RickLopez macrumors newbie

RickLopez

something similar happened to me yesterday, except that I didn't even do an update! I picked up my phone and it was asking me to connect to itunes. Now Im caught up in the boot loop for reset and it doesn't move or recognise any commands, do you have any suggestions?