Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hashsi99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
my wife's iPhone 6 is running iOS 9.0.2. My iPhone 6 is running iOS 8.4.

Prior to installing iOS 9 on her device, iMessage videos sent via wifi were full resolution. Since installing iOS 9, they are slightly pixelated (compressed). Very minimal, but definitely there.

This is the case both ways. IE, doesn't matter if I (iOS 8) send to her (ios9) or vice versa.

If I airdrop, the videos are full resolution.

Is this done intentionally by Apple, or does iOS 9.1 fix this?

Thanks

Sonnto

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2015
Toronto, ON
I don't know if they are, but you can try and see if it is by downloading the videos on the respective recipient devices and then compare the sizes and resolutions on a desktop. I don't send videos so this does not concern me too much.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
iMessages videos were never the full bitrate. They've always have been compressed to some degree to fit within iOS' 10MB iMessage attachment restriction.

Reactions: vertsix

hashsi99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
iMessages videos were never the full bitrate. They've always have been compressed to some degree to fit within iOS' 10MB iMessage attachment restriction.

I don't think that's true. I've had full HD video sent through. iMessage to iMessage. I know carriers shrink "text" messages.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I don't think that's true. I've had full HD video sent through. iMessage to iMessage. I know carriers shrink "text" messages.

I'm not taking about resolution, I'm talking about bitrate. You can have full HD at a bit rate of 1,024kbps. It'd look awful, but still have 1080 pixels across. iOS has always compressed the bitrate to get the video sent, unless the source video is less than 10MB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.