iOS 9 download for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Game 161, Sep 16, 2015.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Anybody downloaded it?

how you finding it so far? any issues with speed?

2. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

HaHa I'm too scared to be the first. All in favor of The Game 161 having the honor of being first say Aye.

3. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

just started to download it..at work currently though on work wifi..hopefully they don't track me downloading it ha

4. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Oh you are brave. Let us know how you like it please.

5. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

No issues with speed; I don't think it's any faster or slower than iOS 8. My iPad Air 2 had this annoying lag when turning the screen on (others reported something similar, started with one of the iOS 8 updates) that iOS 9 has resolved, which is a relief. Split screen is really neat, even when using it with applications that don't support the full side-by-side feature. I'm still holding off on upgrading my work device, but I'm pleased with it on my home iPad.

6. Kendo macrumors 68000

7. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

For me, the rotation issue could be triggered by having a video player paused, turning the screen off, and then trying to turn the screen back on - the home screen would not respond to rotation, and would be stuck in the same rotation that the video was on. Getting out of the video application would fix that.

If that's similar (or the same as) the rotation issue you're thinking of, then I can say that I tested it just now and it seems to be fixed with iOS 9.

8. mi7chy, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015

mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Updated my iPad 2 to iOS 9 and my initial impressions:

- Safari is more useful. First time in a while where I can actually view www.theverge.com without issues.

- Sometimes autorotation is stuck in landscape until you swipe away the offending app.

- Horrible keyboard lag. Seems to be a bit better after turning off auto prediction/correction, spotlight search, etc. Even with all these turned off it still takes a few seconds to tap on the Safari address bar for it to register.

- Finally has Android style keyboard that shows proper lower and upper case keys.

9. lakerchick4life macrumors 6502

Just updated my iPad Air 2 to IOS 9 and I have a question..what is this extra stuff that it comes with like find my iphone, tips, find friends, podcasts, and gamecenter.. is that just added waste or what just wanted to be sure that is what is supposed to come with it

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Sometimes it is not at all happy with the input box on this here site. It will not respond to a long press to reposition the cursor (full disclosure: using Mercury browser), but the two-finger thingy will let me move it.

Speed difference is undetectable, to me. But this upper/lower-case keyboard, so far I am not liking it much.

11. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I am mostly loving iOS 9 on my iPad Air 2 so far. I'm not interested in lots of of the headline features like the Siri stuff, but I really like the multitasking, and the cursor and keyboard improvements. In general it doesn't feel any slower than iOS 8 was to me.

The ability to use ad-blocking in Safari is also something I love - I had literally stopped visiting some sites on my iOS devices, in Safari at least, because they were just borderline unusable to me due to intrusive ads before. This is probably my single favourite thing about iOS 9.

The one thing I'm really not so keen on is the new app switcher. I find it to be a step backwards. I don't want all my apps windows overlapping just to be slightly bgger on screen, it's not useful to me in any way. To me it feels a little like how Apple ruined Exposé on OS X all those years ago, IMHO.

In case you didn't know, you can turn that off if it continues to displease you (the settings switch is in General>Accessibility>Keyboard>Show Lowercase Keys).

12. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

will try siri when at home but liking it so far...liking notifications where it does them all in date order

13. DWSam macrumors newbie

DWSam

Just for fun, I downloaded the 9 Beta on a Mini 1 (512 MB Ram and the A5 chip) a couple weeks ago. Obviously no multitasking, but also no issues. It seems to handle memory a bit better as I've had very few app crashes. I run MS Outlook, Safari, Kindle and Mail simultaneously and, with the exception of Safari still refreshing pages, haven't had apps just closing as they did in 8.

I have been able to run those four apps as well as FB, SalesForce and my banking app while not crashing. I don't do it often or for very long as everything lags, but it's impressive for such an old thing.

My Mini 4 is coming tomorrow!!

14. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

15. TechFann macrumors member

Well Game Center was in iOS 8, and all those other apps were too. The only apps that were added with iOS 9 was the find my friends and the News app.

16. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Working great so far. Rotation issue for me has been fixed. No lag with keyboard. Safari seems a little faster.

If you are considering going to iOS 9, I would do it via iTunes. Avoid OTA. After installation, do a reset by holding the home & power to clear the cache.

I haven't experimented with all he new features. But looks good so far. I am liking it better than iOS 8.

17. ddkkpp macrumors 6502

ddkkpp

worked really well for me right after i updated, but when I came home later, it was jery and freezing like crazy. wasn't responding to home button presses, or rotation. i shut it down and started it up again and it took about 5 minutes to get back to normal. working nicely now. love the content blockers too! Using the free one called "crystal" - no issues yet!

18. dingdong macrumors regular

dingdong

Anyone installed on their Ipad Air 1? If so any issues and such?

19. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

20. doboy macrumors 68000

Installed on my Air 1 yesterday. I love it, especially the slide over and content blocker for ads. Also saved some space on my iPad, maybe it cleared cache.

21. mrex, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015

mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

no i havent seen any issue yet. pinch to close apps isnt working well though...

and air2 is working the same as before. no issue other than that the pinch to close apps is not working well and no rotation fix either - still the same bug(?) existing. But finally i can see that im typing with a upper/lower case if using the apple keyboard...

not sure if they fixed wifi issue finally. i havent had to toggle wifi during couple of days. in ios 8.x i was forced to toggle wifi to get it working again.