iOS 9 Download Frustration

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Glyn H, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Glyn H, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015

Glyn H macrumors newbie

Glyn H

It has been nearly 72 hours since iOS 9 was released and I am still unable to download for my iPhone 6+!!!.

I have tried downloading OTA about 50 times but like many others have still get the pop-up message 'Software Update Failed'.

I have also tried downloading and installing the .ipsw file through iTunes 12.3 on Windows 10 and directly downloading from http://appldnld.apple.com/ in both instances iTunes returned the message that the file was corrupted.

Can anybody shed any light why this is happening as i do not think that the Apple servers can still be struggling to cope after 3 days.

2. Glyn H, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015

Glyn H thread starter macrumors newbie

Glyn H

It's been nearly a week now and i have still been unable to resolve this problem has anybody got any ideas?

3. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

That is really odd. I installed OTA via WIFI on my iPad mini2 and iPhone 5s last week on the day that iOS9 was officially launched. I did also get the message the first few hours but after that i was able to update OTA.

4. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

When was the last time you tried the OTA update. Day one of course was server overload with everyone trying to grab it, but the dust should have settled by now.

5. Glyn H, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015

Glyn H thread starter macrumors newbie

Glyn H

About 10 minutes ago

6. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

I just download it non-Apple sources to save time (Firefox + DTA! and download the file in simultaneous segments)

Remember Apple verifies the package before will let you updates. If it's not legit the update will abort. So it's pretty safe.

Try grabbing it from here. Alternately search for "iOS 9 ipsw" download for something faster for you.

7. vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

Trust me. You don't want to.

9.0 is still pretty buggy and, as others have pointed out, significantly slower than 8.4.1.

Just hold off until 9.0.1 possibly this week.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

But as also has been pointed out, while some have had a more negative experience, many have had a more positive (or at least neutral) experience.

9. vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

Depends on what you expect out of your device.

Perhaps I have higher expectations, so I notice inconsistencies more, but iOS 9.0 is clearly laggy on many iOS devices. Why? Because I've tried it out on my 5s (fresh restore), iPod touch, and even the display iPhones and iPads at the Apple Store with relatively fresh restores.

It's clearly more laggy than 8.4.1 by a significant margin. Anyone who compares it side by side can tell a difference.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

And it can also depend on experience of different devices of different people. Some might not have as much lag even if they do have some of it.

11. Glyn H thread starter macrumors newbie

Glyn H

That's what I intend to do but I got a feeling that 9.0.1 will not sort the problem.

If Apple release it on Friday or later then all the people who receive their 6s and 500 million others with active iPhones/iPads will be trying to update.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

They might be updating anyway since the phones might have the GM build on them and not the slightly newer one that was the final released version.

13. Glyn H thread starter macrumors newbie

Glyn H

As I expected 9.0.1 did not sort my downloading problem.

I was in Edinburgh last week and had some time to spare so I stood outside the Apple Store on Princess St. and logged onto their wi-fi.

Within 30 mins I had 9.0.1 downloaded and installed.

At the same time I was able to charge my phone thanks to the usb recharging point(s) installed in the bus stop outside the store. I think these are installed in all stops along Princess St.

Later in the week I was able to download 9.0.2 with no problems from home which was only about 60MB.

I think the problems I been having are more to do with my ISP rather than Apple servers.