iOS 9 feature?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by AppleFan91, Sep 3, 2015.

1. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

so I haven't seen anyone talk about this but I just went through an iOS 9 training for where I work and one of the features listed for the new battery enhancements in iOS 9 is when the phone is face down, it will not light up the screen even when a notification arrives. The phone uses the ambient light sensor for this. I thought it was kinda cool, definitely not ground breaking or new to the industry, but I've not seen that as a talked about feature online either.

2. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I was sad to find out this ONLY works for a face down phone. It doesn't work for phone-in-pocket which would be more effective for battery saving in my case.

3. pacorob macrumors 65816

pacorob

4. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

If that's true, then it must be using the accelerometer as well. It shouldn't be able to tell the difference between "dark because I'm face down" and "dark because I'm in a pocket" otherwise.

5. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I agree. If you're on a call now, you can cover the sensor and turn the screen off just like it does when its next to your face. Phone position is not the deciding factor for calls, its ambient sensor detection. Should be able to tell its covered either face down or in a pocket.

6. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

one thing I noticed on my samsung s6 that I wondered why iphone does not have. but I don't have to have it face down it always does it.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Just make sure it's facedown in your pocket. :D

8. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

9. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

I have found exactly the opposite.