Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njharris97

macrumors member
Original poster
Hi guys,

I've installed iOS 9 beta 1 on my iPhone 6 and my iPad mini 2. iPad mini is running fine, but the iPhone is getting really hot and experiencing fast battery drain. I have restored the iPhone twice.

Has anyone else had this issue, as I would have expected to see it on google by now, if this is more of a universal problem.

In fact my iPhone has gone down 7% in the time I have written this post, and it is starting to heat up quite quickly.

Any ideas?

Reactions: The Doctor11

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
It's a beta. There's all kind of diagnostics software running in the background, and there also seems to be a bug that doesn't allow the device to go to idle state.

Resolution: get rid of the beta or wait until the next beta which hopefully will be better

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Yes, it happens to most iPhones. My 6 is currently burning a hole through my pocket. I keep it on battery saver mode to stop the drains. It's a beta, these things are to be expected.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I have an idea. Stop using beta's expecting it to be perfect. It's mainly for developers. If it was for the public they would have just started with the public beta, which is coming later.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Yes my iPad Air 2 gets extremely hot. I actually thing it's dangerous. Someone could legit set their house on fire after using this for a few hours.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Hi guys,

I've installed iOS 9 beta 1 on my iPhone 6 and my iPad mini 2. iPad mini is running fine, but the iPhone is getting really hot and experiencing fast battery drain. I have restored the iPhone twice.

Has anyone else had this issue, as I would have expected to see it on google by now, if this is more of a universal problem.

In fact my iPhone has gone down 7% in the time I have written this post, and it is starting to heat up quite quickly.

Any ideas?

Settings > General > Search > uncheck all the options there. iOS is most likely indexing those items. I have them all turned off because of the battery impact. Will likely re-enable in Beta 2 to see if it's any better.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Settings > General > Search > uncheck all the options there. iOS is most likely indexing those items. I have them all turned off because of the battery impact. Will likely re-enable in Beta 2 to see if it's any better.

Turned that stuff off several times and it didn't do anything. I have a feeling the battery issue isn't related to it.

Reactions: The Doctor11

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Turned that stuff off several times and it didn't do anything. I have a feeling the battery issue isn't related to it.

Whatever the case is I end up leaving the office with 25% battery compared to 55% while on iOS 8. The Apple watch battery seems to have stabilized since I wiped and re-paired.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
The only way to fix the drain is to disable cellular data. Something is messed up with it in this beta. If you turn it off, you can literally feel the temperature of the back of the phone begin to drop within seconds. Of course, not having cellular data sucks, but not too bad if you can get on wifi.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
my phone is getting hot too. battery is absolute **** too. just par for the course, its dp1

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
My iOS 9 beta 1 updated device does not get hot at all and still has great battery life. It is an iPod Touch 5, which has an A5 CPU and because of that, does not run Apple's new Proactive search.

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
I've been using my phone just as I normally would on iOS 8.4.1 and since installing iOS 9 I've noticed that my battery life has taken a hit, it drains faster than before. I've also noticed that my iPhone gets unpleasantly hot. So much so that I have to take it out of my pocket because of it becoming uncomfortably hot.

iPhone 6 +

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.