Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tlawrence17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Anyone else having weird issues with being unable to delete backups from iOS 9?

I updated my phone to iOS 9 and then downgraded it back to 8.3 the next day. Overnight it created a backup that was 1.3gb big.

I have two phone backups now. A current one from 8.3 that says "This Phone" and another that just says "iPhone" - when I try to delete it I get an error saying to try again later. I tried deleting it from my Mac in iCloud settings and from my iPad.

My iPad Air also has a backup that is 2gb that I cannot delete as well, same error.

I assume it will be worked out eventually, but just something to be aware of. I thought it was strange because most people are talking about having issues not being able to back up at all.

tlawrence17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Glad to know its not just me then! I figure it will be fixed by the time iOS 9 is officially released.

I deleted all of the backups I could and called Apple Support for the hell of it, hoping they could reset my storage. They said I had no back ups at all in iCloud.

Once their tools are updated to recognize iOS 9 I'm sure it will be sorted.

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
So they not counting against us then since apple can't see them? Just a phantom backup we see on our end?

tlawrence17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Apple can't see them at all as far as I know. They don't even show the same storage usage. I think we are on some beta iCloud server they don't even have access to.

omegis83

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Before I downgraded, I turned off iCloud Backup. Now that I'm on 8.4, the only backup that shows is my 8.4 backup.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
So I downgraded like a lot of people back to 8.4 and my iCloud storage is showing 2.9 out of 5GB and I'm pretty sure there is an iOS 9 beta backed up on there but it doesn't even show up. Anyone know how I can delete it? Do I need to get back on the beta to see it to delete it? Or am I going to have to call apple?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Since I installed the iOS 9 betas on my iPhone 6+, the size of the backups has become insane (9.4 GB). Since public beta 2, it will no longer complete a backup as there is not enough storage space. I ended up deleting the 9.4 GB backup as I am on a 20GB plan and now my iPhone 6+ still refuses to complete a backup still saying there is not enough free storage space (16.8 of 20GB free). I refuse to pay $4 a month for 200 GB.
My iPad Air 2 backs up just fine on iOS 9 beta at 3.1 GB.
Sure hope Apple corrects this soon.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
oddly enough I've got this issue, and sorry to say but Apple have been no help what so ever.

I had iOS 9 PB1 its automatically created an iCloud backup but failed, then the next day I downgraded to 8.4. A week later I noticed I was short of iCloud data by about 6Gb was un-accounted for.

There was nothing showing on any of my devices for this backup, when I downgraded to 8.4 I done a fresh iCloud back up. I've spoken to Apple who have escalated it, sent me over to dev support who advised they can do anything as I'm not a developer.

I've gone back to them and been a bit more aggressive so to speak, as they guy I was talking isn't responding to my emails now. I have a call booked later today with them, to try and delete the failed back up.

So if I get any answers I will update, but for the mean time no one seems to know what to do about it

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
Just got off them phone to them and basically they can't do anything about the failed backup from iOS 9 PB. This was due to the agreement that is taken when you download it, they don't support beta.

He said I've fallen into a hole where I downgraded to 8.4 and its a failed iCloud backup on 8.4.

Then the iCloud engineering team said that they can't provide apple support or do anything in regards to this due to the above. Even though both departments could see the backup they can't delete.

He said there are a few options but can't guarantee.

1: lower the iCloud to the free plan clear some space and backup then upgrade to the 20Gb plan see if it pushes the failed one to delete.

2: upgrade iOS 9 current PB (backup iPhone on 8.4 via MacBook) the iCloud back up on iOS 9. Then manage iCloud and try to delete it in the hopes that the new iCloud backup has overwritten the failed. Then delete that backup and downgrade 8.4 then iCloud backup.

Bigger risk here being if I do the above and I can't delete or the second iOS 9 backup fails then it's another 5Gb of your storage.

3: wait until the official release of iOS 9 iCloud backup and hope it over writes, he said if it doesn't then call in and the team should be able to do delete the failed one.

Not a lot of help to be honest.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Yea, I stopped by the Apple Store yesterday with my iPhone 6+ on iOS 9 beta on a Genius Bar appointment. Several of the techs have iOS 9 beta on their phones and they also cannot get an iCloud backup to complete. I was able to delete my massive iOS 9 beta backup, but it didn't help with getting new backup working. Just hoping a future beta will address it.

Update: After almost 2 weeks of my iPhone 6+ not completing an iCloud backup despite numerous tries initiated manually, it just suddenly was able to complete a backup on it's own (when plugged in to charge). Go figure ?

Last edited:

ThaRagingAsian

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2014
Same problem here on Beta 4. Had a massive 19gb estimated backup size. I did a bunch of things and down to 1.6gb but still can't backup. :(

eXoenDo

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
This continues to be an issue for me as well. I know it is being tracked under rdar://20244583 and iCloud Tech Support can see "many many" backups that I can't see but they can't delete them/as indicated above, Engineering won't touch them since it's still beta.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Anyone else having weird issues with being unable to delete backups from iOS 9?
Installed the iOS 9 GM 13A340. It says I have a "0 KB" backup that I cannot delete. It also says there isn't enough space to backup, even though I have 4.3GB. It also says the "Next Backup Size" is "0 bytes".

So, it still seems messed up in the production GM.

Reactions: poe diddley

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
With ne ios9 backup icloud doesn´t work
Updated to latest shipping iOS 9.0 (13A344) and it still says "not enough space".

I've got 4.3GB out of 5GB free space on iCloud. So basically you cannot backup your phone to iCloud with the default free storage?

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
After upgrading to iOS9 last night, I noticed that I no longer had any iCloud phone backups. I forced a backup before going to bed. Now this morning it's telling me "Latest Backup: Yesterday" and "Backup Size: 0 bytes".

When I browse through the "Backup Options" list of applications, they all appear as No Data. I guess that explains why my phone says it was backed up and the backup size is 0 bytes. Still isn't correct though.

I guess I'll for sure back up to my computer at home this evening to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
Reactions: rbgatti
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.