iOS 9 Keyboard Gestures for iPhone purposely removed

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by hunt2013, Jul 10, 2015.

1. hunt2013, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015

hunt2013 macrumors regular

In Beta 3 Apple has removed the keyboard gestures for iPhone. I noticed many stating it was possibly a bug as did I. Posting a bug report on the website got me a response that no one was wanting to hear. Apple has removed them from everything but the iPad. So there goes my favorite iOS 9 feature.

as requested here is a screenshot of the message: [​IMG]

2. albertsw macrumors regular

3. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

I'm not surprised, why else would it just so happen to break on iPhone only after never being announced as an iPhone feature.

4. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Man I hope they bring it back for the 6 Plus at least.

5. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

Nooooooo - I tried it briefly in iOS 9 B1 - it was my favorite new feature ;n;

6. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

NO!!! Moving the cursor has never been so easy on iOS! Let's ALL report it and hope like hell they bring it back due to the high demand.

7. hunt2013 thread starter macrumors regular

I've updated the original post

8. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

I do admit that it's a cool feature, but it seems somewhat impractical on the iPhone. That said, it wouldn't hurt them to add it back for those who want to use the feature on an iPhone.

9. albertsw macrumors regular

It's a great feature, probably my favorite iOS 9 feature so I'm really disappointed they removed it. Maybe if enough people complained they'd bring it back.

10. Pelea macrumors 6502

Here's an idea: make it a one finger swipe on the iPhone... (Just like the cydia tweak I'm currently using, works perfectly)

11. lancastor macrumors 6502a

12. devinthomas macrumors regular

Ridiculous, it worked perfectly and cut back on a major reason to use the still useless third party keyboards.

13. sik08amg macrumors regular

sik08amg

I agree. Definitely better control with one finger vs two. Two fingers for highlighting, one finger for moving the cursor..

14. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

So...............

Apple, expect how I would face with you and your product. :mad:

I want this feature quite a lot since this is much easier to move cursor.

Ok. From now, I may try to convince anyone I could chat with don't buy ANY Apple products. :eek:

Here is one more reason I am looking forward to a jailbreak.

15. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

It actually does work with one finger. You just need two to activate the feature.

I like Apple's implementation of cursor movement, but I like Swipe Selection's use of the shift key.

16. eicca macrumors regular

eicca

Wait, what is the gesture? I'd like to know so I can use it before it's gone. What does it do?

17. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

I believe the function they say is to select cursor position when using one finger sliding on keyboard.

For example, you tap letter "l" on keyboard, and then move from letter "l" to "s" while keeping your finger on keyboard area to quickly move cursor to somewhere you have typed previously.

18. danleon950410 macrumors regular

danleon950410

And why do we always have to shut our mouths to Apple's will? I'm tired of having to obey to the largest community of developers that doesn't give 3 f***s about user feedback. How many features have we lost? The scrolling wallpaper, the black keyboard option...I'm sick of it.
    Is there no way we could fight back? Trough an e-mail or even the "feedback app" on the betas?

19. eicca macrumors regular

eicca

Capitalism. Spend your money elsewhere.

20. danleon950410 macrumors regular

danleon950410

Oh you'd love that...No thanks, i'm happy with the one i already SPENT.
    But seriously, this is getting annoying. I know that we supposedly pay more for them to decide what is better, but hearing some suggestions from users every now and then couldn't hurt, could it?

21. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

And yet they've removed iPhone safari forward swipe gesture even though it's only to make way for iPad-only split screen feature... What a joke

22. batting1000 macrumors 604

I think it's a bug. If you try over and over again it works but barely. Not sure what the forward swipe on the iPhone has to do with split screen multitasking on the iPad. Two different devices, two unrelated features.

??

23. GreyOS, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015

GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Well let me explain

iPad safari swipe forward has been removed because it would interfere with slideover which is the same gesture (this is what I have been told).

It has been removed on iPhone even though it doesn't have slideover. That was my point. Seems silly eh?

Don't mean to derail. It's loosely associated with this thread because Apple's approach to iPad/iPhone gestures seems a bit sloppy.

On the one hand they abandon parity and make a gesture like 2 finger text cursor control iPad only, even though it has a use on iPhone. But on the other hand they remove a gesture like swipe forward on both for parity even though there was no need to on iPhone

P.s. I say the gesture is removed but it is there just more awkward. Slide from right edge to middle then flick back to the right, that is probably what you have been doing to get it to work occasionally.

24. batting1000 macrumors 604

Gotcha. Sucks they had to remove it, I really liked using it.

25. danleon950410 macrumors regular

danleon950410

That really sucks...