iOS 9 must be 90% bug fixes and 10% useful new features.

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sanke1, Dec 27, 2014.

?

iOS 9. 90% fixes and performance improvements, 10% new features.

1. Yes

72.4%
  2. No

27.6%
  1. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

I firmly believe that iOS 9 must concentrate 90% on bug fixes and performance improvements giving an overall sense of fine polish and must be just 10% useful practical features like USB storage.

All A6 A7 and A8 (old by then) devices must run all animations at 60fps. Stuttering and touch lag must be totally absent. Redundant code since iOS 1 be trimmed off. And many 1GB RAM optimisations.

Yes or No?

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Yes please. I'm usually the first one to want lots of new features, but iOS 8 is a buggy mess at the moment. It needs to be polished and refined.

I hope Apple reconsiders their yearly iOS (and OS X, for that matter) update cycle. Would it be so bad if the iPhone 6S shipped with iOS 8.3 and iOS 9 came in Spring or Summer 2016? It's creating unnecessary strain on the software engineers, especially since they now have yearly OS X and Watch OS updates to contend with.

3. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Leave the bug fixes for 8.2
    I want new features on iOS 9

4. peter08po macrumors member

No, probably 10% uesless features added and 90% more bugs coming in iOS 9 :p

5. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

I think that the direction that Apple took with iOS 7 is a great start. They will continue to improve it and make changes from version to version, which is enough for me.

iOS 6 had years of time to mature and develop into the iOS we know.
    iOS 7 is a brand new take and it will take some time to develop and function better. They've already refined it in iOS 8 and will continue to work out the creases in future versions.

6. Alphabetize macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

iOS 8 is the buggiest release of iOS I've ever used. I am all for a major bug-fix/under-the-hood improvement release.

List of bugs/annoyances I frequently encounter:
    1. The keyboard will sometimes get stuck and will stay on the screen even if I go to the home screen.
    2. My alarm clocks sometimes don't go off (and I have been late to work and almost late to work because of this)
    3. Sometimes my touch just doesn't register on the display and I can't move anything.
    4. Sometimes the Sleep/Wake button won't put my phone to sleep.
    5. Siri plays the wrong music when I request a song.
    6. Sometimes I cannot delete my music off my phone no matter what I do (only a Restore will get rid of them)

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with iOS feature-wise, but I would still like:
    1. Have my apps auto-arrange themselves in alphabetical order.
    2. Select multiple apps to move at once.
    3. A "Command-F" or Find/Search feature in Safari

7. DoctorKrabs macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

1. Go to General > Reset > Reset Home Screen Layout and your apps will he alphabetically arranged. (new apps won't automatically arrange, though)

3. The address bar in Safari can search the page if you type what you want to search for and scroll to "On This Page" results.

8. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I would like to see this too, even if it may not be popular from Apple's marketing perspective. One could argue that fixing bugs should be something they ought to do anyways.

However, since Apple has demonstrated that they can't handle an iOS release of the scale of iOS 8 and ensure it is bug free, then between the two, give me the bug fixes as well.

9. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

We really, really need a "No new features!" release, like Snow Leopard.

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

"I firmly believe that iOS 9 must concentrate 90% on bug fixes and performance improvements giving an overall sense of fine polish and must be just 10% useful practical features like USB storage."

Your beliefs are not realistic. In order for a software company to remain relevant they have to always bring new features, look/feel and other changes to their software or be left behind.

Bug fixes can be delivered in incremental updates and should never be the primary focus of a new version of software.

11. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

If they could squash all the bugs, let me password-protect my apps and require my passcode to turn the phone off in iOS 9, that would be great.

12. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Based on sales volume it seems like Apple can sell anything no matter how buggy. Just slap an Apple logo on it and ship it. An amazing testimony to brand strength.

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

What purpose would this serve exactly?

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Please. Snow leopard was just that and its regarded as one of the best OSX releases that some people still refuse to upgrade from.

15. Armen, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I should have been more specific. I was referring to the mobile OS market which is more volatile. Google and Apple year after year are adding new features to their operating systems. I don't think Apple can sit and do only bug fixes for iOS 9 with Android M coming next year.

16. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Maybe because their products are less buggy than others

17. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Except that Apple doesn't technically sell software. They sell you the user experience, which is the result of hardware and software working together harmoniously. I believe that for the majority of Apple users, having a stable OS which "just works" is more important than adding newer (but also buggier) features every year.

From what I can see, the majority of new APIs in iOS 8 still have not been adopted by developers anyways, and you still want to cram more stuff down everyone's throats?

18. MarcusCarpenter macrumors 6502a

MarcusCarpenter

How? Do you have a list of the APIs that are in iOS 8? Please share with me

19. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

A company the size of Apple should be able to cope with yearly software updates. If the engineers are strained as you claim they are not managed very well or their are not enough of them.

I work for a software house and we manage more regular updates with just 300 staff.

----------

If your phone is stolen it is active till the battery drains I am guessing.

20. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Why not though? Apple always does its own thing and rarely follows everyone else. Adding features is nice but many of them are just meh or don't matter anyway. It seems a lot users would really like to get bugs fixed and some stability updates before the next notification "feature" or whatever else.

If devices are running poorly then features do the user base no good. Get the device working properly and bug free, THEN start adding the fluff. That should be how it goes.

21. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Offhand, iCloud Keychain integration in apps. Share sheet extensions, metal API in games, handoff amongst apps, touch-ID integration, useful / relevant widgets. Lock-screen interaction.

I am still waiting to be able to share photos from my gallery app directly into Whatsapp or Instagram. Or log in to my websites directly from the reeder app using my iCloud Keychain info. Or handoff from PDF expert or mailbox from my iPhone to my iPad. Heck, some apps like medium still don't support the swipe-to-go-back feature. Just to name a few of my pet peeves.

There's no point releasing a ton-load of new APIs if they just end up overwhelming the developers. I would rather see Apple reach out to the various developers and work with them to integrate these features in all their apps.

22. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

iOS 8.2 will fix mostly bugs however iOS 9 will bring new, like it was with iOS 7 / 7.1.x /iOS 8. Apple should take more attention and time to their releases.

23. quackers82 macrumors 6502

Please don't say its Capita .

Still cannot believe so many people have pressed 'No' when basics that worked fine before are still broken in iOS 8 like Airplay. Im using my iPod touch on iOS 6 because it works flawlessly with Airplay, yet my iOS 8 devices keep disconnecting.

24. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

That's impossible.

25. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Does your software company manage releases on the scale that Apple does? Does it release hardware as well or focuses solely on software?

That's like saying that just because you can easily prepare a cup of instant noodles and still take the time to garnish it with vegetables and a sunny-side-up, it necessarily suggests that the store right next to you can prepare 1000 servings with no issues.

I imagine the scale and logistics involved are very different.