iOS 9 on iPhone 5 Performance?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by BrodieApple, Sep 16, 2015.

1. BrodieApple macrumors 6502

BrodieApple

Hey guys. Just wondering how the performance is on iPhone 5 with iOS 9.

With iOS 9 being released tomorrow I'd like to know what the official final versions speed is.

Features look great, but is it worth it for a speed decrease? I heard it's only faster on newer devices colorstory-together-home-gray-201505.png Thanks:apple::)

2. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

Well, the actual performance improvements are only available to the devices with at least an A7-chip, because of the low-level Metal API that's used. I would not say iPhone 5 has become slower or so, but neither will it be significantly faster/smoother. At least that's what I think.

3. BrodieApple thread starter macrumors 6502

BrodieApple

Thanks. If so, it's misleading because Apple said at WWDC the performance increases but they did not specify it was for only newer devices.

4. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

It indeed wasn't clever of Apple to say performance in general has been improved. They did specifically mention Metal as being part of the improvements (and it's known that only 64-bit devices support it), but they should've said this more clearly I think.

5. EdenTan macrumors member

EdenTan

Using iOS 9.1 on my iPhone 5C, it's pretty damn smooth :)

6. BrodieApple thread starter macrumors 6502

BrodieApple

I find most people saying positive things. I think it hasn't had a big speed increase but it hasn't slowed down either

7. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

iOS 9 is an amazing upgrade for all users of all devices. Performance is buttery smooth, and the update delivers a delightful experience with so many incredible refinements that I still find captivating after months of testing. I know I'm not alone in saying this. Trusted reviews across the internet are almost all wholly positive about iOS 9.

8. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Uhm... No
    6 Plus performs worse than on iOS 9. I'll gladly post a video later...