Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applegeeky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
hi all.

Just wondering if the brave folks who installed on their iPhone can give some feedback?

I know it's beta so sure not 100% but is it relatively stable ? Ie. Will it reboot for nothing. Or battery drain extreme. Or whatsapp. Sms. Call. All unreliable at all ?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Talking about third party app support, you could refer to previous "working/partially working/not working" thread for beta 1 and 2, and find if one of your key app is among the list.
Talking about performance, it is better than beta 1 and 2, although not so good. At least, animation is smoother, and app response is faster, on IPHONE 6/6 PLUS.
Talking about battery drain, it is better than beta 1, but worse than beta 2. If you use it mainly on Safari browsing and music listening, you could expect 6-7 hrs battery life. If you are a heavy gamer, OK, less than 3 hrs I bet. If you are a light user, for example occasionally browsing web, using apps, listening to music, and rarely play casual games, you could expect a whole day battery without finding charger, before you go back to sleep.

qwerty1211

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2015
Talking about third party app support, you could refer to previous "working/partially working/not working" thread for beta 1 and 2, and find if one of your key app is among the list.
Talking about performance, it is better than beta 1 and 2, although not so good. At least, animation is smoother, and app response is faster, on IPHONE 6/6 PLUS.
Talking about battery drain, it is better than beta 1, but worse than beta 2. If you use it mainly on Safari browsing and music listening, you could expect 6-7 hrs battery life. If you are a heavy gamer, OK, less than 3 hrs I bet. If you are a light user, for example occasionally browsing web, using apps, listening to music, and rarely play casual games, you could expect a whole day battery without finding charger, before you go back to sleep.
Thanks for the great information!

May I wonder what kind of device you are using?

Because iPhone6/6+ is of course a higher level in battery life, and I'm wondering if this might apply for 5s too.

Applegeeky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014

Thanks so much. Omg. The battery issues seem terrible. I was hoping to experience the enhanced savings and stretch mode lol

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Thanks for the great information!

May I wonder what kind of device you are using?

Because iPhone6/6+ is of course a higher level in battery life, and I'm wondering if this might apply for 5s too.
I am using iPhone 6 plus.

This does apply to iPhone 5s too, because A7 is still a powerful chip.

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
Well there's pros and cons.. You tend to find more bugs if you're using it on a daily basis. Apps should work the way it does on iOS 8, no guarantee though. Battery should be good, especially with the ability to turn on low power mode.

I'd say that the public beta is pretty stable. Unless your work cannot tolerate even a little downtime of your phone, I'd say go ahead and try. (You can revert anyways). Which iPhone are you using?

Reactions: AppleDavid

Applegeeky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
Well there's pros and cons.. You tend to find more bugs if you're using it on a daily basis. Apps should work the way it does on iOS 8, no guarantee though. Battery should be good, especially with the ability to turn on low power mode.

I'd say that the public beta is pretty stable. Unless your work cannot tolerate even a little downtime of your phone, I'd say go ahead and try. (You can revert anyways). Which iPhone are you using?

I using I p 6 plus. Am hoping to check out the better battery and Siri ..

Bobajobbob

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2005
Fairly stable but occasional bugs with the camera video recording and videos stored on the device disappearing are annoying me. Basttery is so so.

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
Should be fine. Note that some Apps may crash though. You should refer to the thread where users are reverting to 8.4 from 9 to see their issues.

I don't think there's a real need to test out the "new Siri", nothing spectacular imo. I think what you're looking for is the low power mode.. Frankly I'd stay with 8.4 if those two are the things I wanna try

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

asv56kx3088

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
Losing some of the photos in the camera roll after updating to iOS 9 public beta. Doing a restore now.

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Having used Beta 1,2 and 3, I'm finding iOS 9 Beta 3 very good on my iPhone 6. Battery life is now back to decent, and I'm no longer getting many weird things happening like i was on Beta 1 and 2. BUT one of my core apps don't function yet (Plex), luckily i can just use one of my iPads for that. I would say the issue now is more likely to be your apps not being fully compatable.

kruso2

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
For me the battery is a bit worse than on 8.4, may improve after a few charges.
Performance was terrible just after install but now after using the phone for some hours it seems to have gotten smoother.

kruso2

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
6c76ff04da5b8c35ccde0888b6bced1b.jpg

Don't understand this, since installation of public beta battery history says that Apple music has used 10% of my battery and I haven't even started the application?

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
So far, for me, it's stable enough. But there are definitely odd slowdowns in some of the native apps. Last night, presumably because everyone was hammering the Siri server, I had some severe Siri delays in the beginning, but that seems to be better now. Some odd update things: my News app won't actually fetch new stories (well, it will, but not in the 'For You' feed). Did the initial pull last night, and I have nothing new since then, and a manual refresh just spins.

However, overall, it's not too much different for me in stability than 8.4, just some odd quirks that are to be expected.

garlicbread24

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2015
for me running b3 is very stable for a beta. I would have no problem recommending to anyone to try out the public beta.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
iOS8 wasn't stable enough for a daily phone. So iOS9 should be just fine. :D

Seriously though, I always enjoy a new OS and there are many features here that are long long overdue. So I'm willing to put up with some stability issues in exchange for getting an OS thats as awesome as my 6+.

Reactions: Trickhot3102

Applegeeky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
iOS8 wasn't stable enough for a daily phone. So iOS9 should be just fine. :D

Seriously though, I always enjoy a new OS and there are many features here that are long long overdue. So I'm willing to put up with some stability issues in exchange for getting an OS thats as awesome as my 6+.
What are some of things u like about this new os ?

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
4 hours into the day I am at 98% battery on my 6+. I used more battery yesterday while the phone refreshed my cloud services and indexed everything but no issues that I have found outside of the ones pointed out here on the issues thread. I like this release and plan to keep the beta.

trevor08

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2015
Pretty stable for me. Lots of flickering and apps closing on their own. A lot of times, my videos wont show the video, only the sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.