Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
awesome! thanks! never signed up for one of these. so its not guaranteed but, if I'm selected to participate they send you an email with a download link of some kind? or does my phone tell me I have an update?
You should get an email with all the relevant information.

Erastopic

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Norway
If I remember correctly, when Yosemite was announced to have a "public" beta, it was only for the first 1 million or something to get access to it.

But I'm figuring since there are more iPhone users than Mac users in a total world basis, I wouldn't think they will limit it to the first 1 million, the invitations will probably be sent out by random, statistics, your current iPhone/iPad or something similar.

I think Apple should change the name from public beta, to closed beta. Apple surely wants the beta out to as many as possible, but when they will only give access to those signed up and invited, it limits the word "public" in my opinion.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
So who is thinking tomorrow? I'm hoping, but not too sure. I think we will definitely see beta 3 tomorrow, but as far as public beta goes....I'm hopeful!

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
So who is thinking tomorrow? I'm hoping, but not too sure. I think we will definitely see beta 3 tomorrow, but as far as public beta goes....I'm hopeful!

The Yosemite PB started after developer beta 4, in the third quarter of July. It was even announced at the release of beta 4 that the public beta would follow soon. I don't think we will see it that soon.

Evren Carven

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2014
I have signed in Apple Beta Software Program and get this information:

Thank you for joining the Apple Beta Software Program. The iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan Public Betas are coming soon to the Apple Beta Software Program. We will contact you via email when they are available for download.

Lowe Lilliehorn

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
I have signed in Apple Beta Software Program and get this information:

Thank you for joining the Apple Beta Software Program. The iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan Public Betas are coming soon to the Apple Beta Software Program. We will contact you via email when they are available for download.
Yeah I know, I've got that too, everybody gets that message until it's ready! :)

Lowe Lilliehorn

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
BTW, I emailed Craig Federighi, he said that the PB will be available when it's ready....
screen-shot-2015-07-08-at-12-14-40-pm.png

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If I remember correctly, when Yosemite was announced to have a "public" beta, it was only for the first 1 million or something to get access to it.

But I'm figuring since there are more iPhone users than Mac users in a total world basis, I wouldn't think they will limit it to the first 1 million, the invitations will probably be sent out by random, statistics, your current iPhone/iPad or something similar.

I think Apple should change the name from public beta, to closed beta. Apple surely wants the beta out to as many as possible, but when they will only give access to those signed up and invited, it limits the word "public" in my opinion.
I think so. This public beta program is in fact a closed program. Invitation only.

Developer beta should be considered as public beta because it only needs you to, uh, hand in a whole bunch of personal information and pay 99 USD to get it. Wait, developer beta is even closer than public beta, if I see it in this way. ;)

Whatever, Apple simply don't want users blame their software too much, I guess.

AngusW

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
I was practicing my libanomancy last night and the signs point to a release today.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
Beta is released for developers. i dont think we are going to see the public beta.

ithinkwithportals

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2015
Somewhere in the USA
Well, as for timing, I think in either the first iOS 9b2 thread or the second one, one guy said his download e-mail came in around 2:59 PM (either CDT or EST, can't remember which), so that gives us a reasonable waiting point for the PB either today or tomorrow.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
Well, as for timing, I think in either the first iOS 9b2 thread or the second one, one guy said his download e-mail came in around 2:59 PM (either CDT or EST, can't remember which), so that gives us a reasonable waiting point for the PB either today or tomorrow.

i dont think the email timing predicts the launch time.!

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

That was me :)

And yeah I got the email for public beta 8.3 launch March 12 at 2:59 mountain time) which is 1:59 in Apple land.

ithinkwithportals

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2015
Somewhere in the USA
I just hope they don't make us wait two more weeks (for DP4.) Seems silly, especially since even DP2 was probably stable enough and I'm sure DP3 improves on that a fair amount.
I think, given the stability of Beta 2, and going by the release point of the last two PBs, that this is the build where we will see the PB, whether today or tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.