Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
How do I know? Maybe the 18+ years using computers and software helps.
Why don't you buy 2 computers, or earlier smartphones such as Symbian Nokia phones, one about 2-3 years older than the other. Than let me know which one is faster.
I don't need to tell you which one, and it's surely not because Microsoft or nokia made their OS more obsolete each year.

Do you guys actually think it would be smart for Apple do that? I mean seriously?
Ignore all the bs from forum posters about they want you to buy more devices, greedy Apple, bla bla bla.
Would you do it if you where running Apple? Obviously not, because if you would you might as well shoot your self in the foot while your at it.

Haha was it smart for VW to do what they did ? But they did it. Like I said , we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Haha was it smart for VW to do what they did ? But they did it. Like I said , we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

What did VW do?
It's almost certain that Apple doesn't slow down iOS on purpose each year. It makes no sense whatsoever.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
What did VW do?
It's almost certain that Apple doesn't slow down iOS on purpose each year. It makes no sense whatsoever.

2009+ VW and some BMW's with diesel engines have software that changes state to pass emission testing. The computer realizes that the ODBII port is undergoing an emission test, and it alters it's state to pass. There are claims that it is going over by as much as 40% when not in emissions testing mode.

This is a big deal, and will have historic repercussions. The Head of VW has already been let go, and the head of Porsche has taken over (Audi VW group includes Audi, VW, Porsche, Lamborghini, Seat, and a few others).

The reason the US hasn't received all of the diesels that European manufacturers develop is California emissions testing is some of the strictest in the world, and required a ton of money to get the certification. VW found a way around it by altering the software in the computer.

dmnc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
The fact that a device is slower doesn't mean it's obsolete. I used an iPhone 3GS with iOS 6 and it worked actually fine, just slower, same thing happend to iPhone 4 with iOS 7. In some cases lag doesn't interfere a lot with whatever you're doing, in other cases it does. Nevertheless, I think Apple starts working towards optimization once the software is released, e. g. iOS 7, 8...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.