iOS 9 update and Workouts on Activity app

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by spytech, Sep 16, 2015.

1. spytech macrumors regular

Updated to iOS 9 and lost all Workouts saved on the Activity app. When I press Workouts on top it gives me nothing. It's all still on the Health app, tho. Anyone else had the same happen?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Did you use iTunes and was you backup encrypted. If yes and no you have lost all your health/fitness data.

3. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Definitely a flaw. Apple doesn't document how fitness database saved very well. It is only saved in an encrypted iTunes backup or an iCloud backup.

Tuck

4. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I lost all mine too!

What do you plan to do? Do you think there is anyway we can get them back?

I knew from past experience to have secure iTunes backups, but this wasn't involved in that because this was an software update.

5. spytech thread starter macrumors regular

No, OTA update.

I don't know what to do, just want to check if I was the only one. It doesn't really bother me... It's just a bit sad that all that data went nowhere when it shouldn't have. If it's still on the Health app, it's not a biggie, but if there's a way to get it back (which I doubt), I'd like to have all that info back.

EDIT: I see you have an iPhone 6. At least now I know this isn't device specific.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

So you backed up to iCloud (not OTA to iTunes)?

Also you did Restore from your iCloud backup?

7. 2457244 macrumors regular

It's so freaking disgusting, Apple + software, it is becoming such a failure as of late..

They can't do anything right anymore, they need 3 million public Beta testers, 9 Beta versions and still everything fails when they launch stuff.

Lucky I still have most of the data on a site but still I doubt we will ever get it back in the Activity app again.
    https://www.mattydekat.nl/act-augustus-2015/

8. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

I did my update from itunes, all my workouts activities are there. I do have 'encrypt iphone backup' ticked in itunes though.

9. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I did my update totally OTA, and it did not need to use the backup. I wonder if it affected people that did not have enough space so iTunes had to dump memory and restore.

10. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I updated to OS 9.1 beta OTA and didn't lose any of my data. All my data remains and I am very happy about that after reading others and their problems.

11. comics addict macrumors 6502a

I lost all of my workout history before updating to iOS 9 on an iPhone 6. Funny thing though I still have my three activity rings history intact.

12. TommyFoley macrumors newbie

How did you manage to get the data on a webpage?

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Apple gives clear warnings about having to do an encrypted backup to save your health data. You just got to read it. I admit that Apple could do better and there should be a full screen warning for anyone with a watch.

14. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

I have the same problem. Did the update via iTunes and my Backups are encrypted. Also my workouts are displayed in the Health app and my Activity rings are also showing the correct Exercise time and burned calories. But still no workouts are displayed in the Activity app.

15. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

That is something else entirely. We retained the data, but it's missing from activity.

Furthermore, we didn't do a restore, we simply upgraded our phones to iOS 9. This is a bug that unfortunately, many just don't seem to care about, so I doubt they'll fix it for us.

16. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

Did OTA and everything is still intact. Also have more free space.

17. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

The calorie ring, exercise ring, and standing all stayed in tact for many of us too.

However, the individual "workouts," that are normally tucked away in each day is missing. Are your sure yours is there? If you click on a day and scroll down below the rings, do you see your workout for that day (i.e. run, walk, etc)?

18. Nell macrumors regular

Workouts are still showing for me. I updated through iTunes (and have encrypted backups).

I'd be really sad to lose my data but I think I'm going to have to as my phone battery life is rubbish and often cuts out at 20%. I waited for iOS 9 in the hope that that might help but it hasn't so a reset is on the cards. Boo to that!

19. IW1206MT macrumors member

My workouts are still there...resting calories are no longer explicitly displayed..

I am really hoping that testing calories appear - and are fixed /no longer crazy high once watch OS2 hits..

20. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

That's already been fixed and it was fixed on iOS 9. In fact it was fixed on one of the first betas for 9. I was at 3200 before and now it is about 2300.

21. IW1206MT macrumors member

Good to hear... After updating to iOS9 last night my activity app no longer displays resting calories. Of course you can figure them easily with total and active being present.

My resting calories for today are on track to be ~800 too high- the same as with iOS 8. Is anyone else seeing this same issue?

22. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

Yesterday I made my first workout on iOS 9 and it was correctly added to the Activity app and can be viewed normally. I wonder why all my other workouts from iOS 8.x.x are only in the Health app...