iOS 9 Upgrade to iPad 3 a NO GO

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TrentS, Sep 17, 2015.

1. TrentS macrumors 6502

TrentS

I tried to upgrade to the new iOS 9 on my iPad 3 tonight. Now all it will do is ask for my new 4 digit passcode, the build line goes to about a 5th of the way, then the screen goes black, then comes back with a "Swipe to Upgrade" page. I swipe to upgrade, then it asks for my 4 digit passcode, then the line builds a 5th of the way, and then, well, the loop continues..... I hook my iPad up to my MacBook Pro but it won't recognize my it to let me re-synch it. Any suggestions on what I can do?

2. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

3. TrentS thread starter macrumors 6502

TrentS

I just set up a Genius appointment. Nothing else I can do now, I guess.

4. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Try restoring it and reinstalling the OS. Turn the device off. Plug the USB into your computer running iTunes and plug in the device as you hold down the home button. ITunes will detect a device "in recovery mode"

5. TrentS thread starter macrumors 6502

TrentS

I didn't know about the "holding the home button down" as I hook it up to iTunes. I'll give that a shot tonight. I hope it works!

6. TrentS thread starter macrumors 6502

TrentS

Well, that didn't work. I will just have to hope a genius at Apple can help me out.

7. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

8. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

Did your iPad ever get to the connect to iTunes screen? If not, you may want to keep trying. Getting a device into recovery mode can be tricky and usually takes a number of attempts. Timing has to be perfect.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Try DFU mode. Google "iPad DFU" to find out how to do it.

10. newellj macrumors 601

Yes. If the Device Firmware Update (DFU) doesn't work, what you have is a different version of DFU (dead ____ unit). Here's hoping that works; if not it's probably bricked.

11. TrentS, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

TrentS thread starter macrumors 6502

TrentS

Well, I went in last evening to see an Apple Genius, and she thought it was going to be a quick fix. She was able to get it linked in to iTunes, and then she tried to do the iOS 9 upgrade herself with it. I was really hoping for the best, but it turns out after she was done with it, it got stuck in the same loop that I was previously in ( enter the 4 digit passcode, the build line goes to about a 5th of the way, then slide to upgrade comes into view, you slide it, then it asks for the 4 digit passcode again, and on and on.... )

I was bummin' big time, but then she went to make a call, came back and said I would be getting a new unit for free. She then looked on her device for a match unit ( White iPad 3 Retina, 32 GB, 4G AT&T unit ), and luckily there was only ONE UNIT LEFT! So, she asked if I wanted it upgraded to iOS 9 before I took it home. I paused for a moment and then thought it would be better for me if she upgraded it at the store, thinking that it would really suck if I took it home and bricked it myself, again!

So, after about another 20 minutes, the new unit took the iOS 9 upgrade, I signed in ( without the 4 digit passcode this time ) and completed the setup. I did lose a bunch of information in a few apps that I will never get back ( animations in Animation Creation, some photos and videos that I never got the chance to back up, and a bunch of notes in my Note app ). But at least I was able to recover most of my old apps that I still wanted that I recovered from The app Store Cloud, and gained a few new good apps that I wouldn't been able to get for free on my old one ( GarageBand, Keynote, Numbers, Pages ). So, it all worked out pretty well. I'm sure at some point I'll remember a few things that I lost off my old iPad, but I'll try not to think of those. At least now I have a new iPad 3 Retina 32 GB 4G unit running iOS 9. And now I am able to save any of my Xcode apps to my iPad with the new upgrade of Xcode 7.0, without having to renew my Apple Developer Membership first. Sweet!

Anyways, thanks for all your input.

12. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Sorry for what happened and great for you having your iPad replaced.

p.s. For all the time you stayed in the Apple Store you could have backed up your old iPad to the iCloud so that nothing would have lost. You know, 50GB of space is just $0.99/month now.

13. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

Glad to hear it all worked out for you! Service by Apple has always been top notch for me. They really do go out of their way to take care of people.

14. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Hmmm... don't you use the iTunes backup feature? It's the most seamless and perfect backup mechanic I've ever used - pretty much everything is restored to perfection when I use it (assuming I back up regularly and use the "encrypted backup" option).

15. kandavu macrumors member

kandavu

16. TrentS thread starter macrumors 6502

TrentS

I backed up my iPad regularly when I first bought it. But when my MacBook Pro hard drive became full, I didn't have enough room on my computer to do backups on my iPad anymore. But I recently upgraded it to a 2 TB hard drive, so I now have plenty of room on it to sync and back up my iPad now. Just a little too late is all. :(

17. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Ah ok. That's indeed unfortunate timing :(

Well it looks like everything still ends relatively well :)