iOS 9 Verification

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Stacked, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Stacked macrumors regular

Hey guys,

So does anyone remember last year when iOS 8 GM dropped to dev's and a bunch of sketchy or random file upload sites had the image file of the GM ? I just wanted to know if it's safe because as far as I know, before any update is installed on iPhone it's verified with Apple first for security purposes (to check rogue code wasn't added). Is this a fair assumption for iOS 9 as well ? Thanks !

2. I7guy macrumors G5

You want to install iOS 9 where you downloaded a dodgy copy?

If it were me I would wait.

3. Stacked thread starter macrumors regular

No I'm just wondering if apple verifies the code of the update before it installs it as a safety measure. Is apple going to even release the GM to the public tomorrow ? Last year it came out a few days after the announcement or maybe like a week.

I'm not sure what's happening this year since it's the first time Apple has had a public beta.

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yes, the software is verified. The chance of you downloading a sketchy copy is highly unlikely. There are a few reputable sites, try to use those. Not allowed to really say them on here though.

I've never heard of anyone downloading a hacked iOS file or one with a virus

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

There's validation with Apple at the beginning of installation (given that you can't install a file that's not made for your device model) and at parts throughout it as well, as I recall.