Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is iOS 9 smoother (animation stutters) than iOS8?

• Yes, but I didn't notice any smoothness problems with iOS 8.

Votes: 33 12.9%
  • No, but I didn't notice any smoothness problems with iOS 8.

Votes: 33 12.9%
  • Yes iOS 9 is smoother, I did notice smoothness problems with iOS 8.

Votes: 31 12.1%
  • No iOS 9 is not smoother, I did notice smoothness problems with iOS 8.

Votes: 31 12.1%
  • Yes iOS 9 is smoother, but not by much, I did notice smoothness problems with iOS 8.

Votes: 23 9.0%
  • No, iOS 9 smoothness is worse iOS 8.

Votes: 105 41.0%

• Total voters

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
It'll be a month between beta 5 and the GM and there might still be things running in the background Apple don't disable until the GM. So, as I said, it's not fair.

There is still reason to concern given past patterns. I'm not saying its definite But I'd have a lot more confidence if Beta 5 was a lot better than it is.

JXShine

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
Seems like most of the people reporting problems on iOS 9 beta are running it on iPhone 6+. Weird.

Running buttery smooth with very few and only minor glitches on both iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2.
Because the 6 plus was underpowered to begin with. I like to call it the iPad 3 equivalent of iPhones.

I took out my old 5 yesterday and was surprised by how much more fluid system animations are compared to my 6 plus. Ridiculous really.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
iPhone 6 Plus - iOS 9 pb3 performance 6/10
iPad Air 1 - iOS 9 pb3 performance 6.5/10

For reference, iPhone 6 Plus on iOS 8.4 was 8/10 and Air 1 was 7/10.
iPhone 5 on iOS 6 was 10/10.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
For me, iOS 9 has made my iPhone 5s scrolling smoother and faster, and animations more fluid in general. I didn't think there was an issue with iOS 8, but wow, scrolling through webpages is like butter. I can't explain it. The touchscreen just feels more sensitive and responsive and "ready to scroll".

elfary

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
On a scale of 1-10 for smoothness with 10 being very smooth and 1 being not smooth at all:

iOS 8.4.1: 10
iOS 9 beta 5: 8

Scrolling on 8.4.1. Music app is not a 10 in smoothness. Hardly an 8. Not on any iPhone 6 i have used it (quite a few).

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
For me, iOS 9 has made my iPhone 5s scrolling smoother and faster, and animations more fluid in general. I didn't think there was an issue with iOS 8, but wow, scrolling through webpages is like butter. I can't explain it. The touchscreen just feels more sensitive and responsive and "ready to scroll".
It's just a placebo, Apple said that ios 9 will be faster and now you see it that way. Or, your ios 8 was buggy and needed a restore.

mous94410

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2015
there is a delay with animations when you click in an app but for a beta iOS 9 is very good. The only big problem is the battery life on my 5s. Worse than ios 8 for me. Hope that this issue will be fix in the GM !

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
If I had to guess I'd say mature iOS 8 is gonna trump 9.0

LMAO, iOS 8 and Mature cannot be talked about in the same sentence.

iOS 8 was Apple's Vista. It rendered 1 year old hardware like iPad Air 1 obsolete. It will never be mature and hence Apple wants to drop it like a bad habbit.

For me, iOS 7.1.4 was pinnacle of smoothness for my 5S. From there everything went downhill. iOS 9 B5 is battery hog and it stutters randomly. The only cool thing about iOS 9 is that Weather app is now smooth.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
It'll be a month between beta 5 and the GM and there might still be things running in the background Apple don't disable until the GM. So, as I said, it's not fair.
Same thing was said about iOS 8 during last beta and 1 year on, it's still laggy.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
Umm The iPad Air, and iPad mini 2 animations are choppy just like iPhone 6 Plus. I dunno about iPhone 6 since I don't have one to regularly use.If they are keeping the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus in the lineup another year its definitely getting iOS 10, and possibly 11 too

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
LMAO, iOS 8 and Mature cannot be talked about in the same sentence.

iOS 8 was Apple's Vista. It rendered 1 year old hardware like iPad Air 1 obsolete. It will never be mature and hence Apple wants to drop it like a bad habbit.

For me, iOS 7.1.4 was pinnacle of smoothness for my 5S. From there everything went downhill. iOS 9 B5 is battery hog and it stutters randomly. The only cool thing about iOS 9 is that Weather app is now smooth.

Ah, you see I always thought iOS 7 was Apple's Vista. And iOS 8 just built a few sandstone pillars around it and added a few flowers.

iOS 9 is finally solidifying the structure, replacing those sandstone pillars by iron beams and watering the flowers.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
I was hoping that the GM would see Metal enabled for the UI, as mentioned at the keynote. Going by the betas, the animations aren't smoother than iOS 8, so perhaps Metal won't be enabled until the GM.

Doubt it, but who knows.

Ole'schooliBook

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011
I was hoping that the GM would see Metal enabled for the UI, as mentioned at the keynote. Going by the betas, the animations aren't smoother than iOS 8, so perhaps Metal won't be enabled until the GM.

Doubt it, but who knows.

I tend to think the same. I have a 6+ and it feels like Metal just hasn't been "turned on" yet? Really hoping this is the case. Also, after iOS 9 is officially released, I imagine many developers will make better use of the Metal API to speed things up even more over time.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006

Doubt it, but who knows.

I could have sworn the animations were much smoother here in iOS 9 on my iPhone 5. I don't believe the animations can look jerky on an iPhone 6.

When you leave an app, it was just so jerky in iOS 8, and so smooth in 9. But the more I read on this forum, the more I realize I'm one of the only one getting a good experiences with iOS 9, regarding smoothness (not regarding battery, the Music bugs, the SpriteKit bugs and whatnot).

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
I could have sworn the animations were much smoother here in iOS 9 on my iPhone 5. I don't believe the animations can look jerky on an iPhone 6.

When you leave an app, it was just so jerky in iOS 8, and so smooth in 9. But the more I read on this forum, the more I realize I'm one of the only one getting a good experiences with iOS 9, regarding smoothness (not regarding battery, the Music bugs, the SpriteKit bugs and whatnot).

iPhone 6 is super smooth on 8.4.1.

iOS 9 beta 5/public beta 3 is not as smooth in places.

Reactions: batting1000

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I tend to think the same. I have a 6+ and it feels like Metal just hasn't been "turned on" yet? Really hoping this is the case. Also, after iOS 9 is officially released, I imagine many developers will make better use of the Metal API to speed things up even more over time.
I am extremely hopeful that this is the case. I don't know how you can just "enable" something like this though, if that were the case, Metal would have been adopted MUCH faster and on a much larger scale with developers. Doesn't it require rewriting and such? Maybe Apple hasn't put in Metal yet because they tried it "behind the scenes" during testing and it caused a lot of issues like tons of graphical artifacts and such due to graphics being handled differently, so for now they're ironing out those things before they fully implement it when iOS 9 goes public. One can only hope I guess, I highly doubt all of that.

All I know is that control center on my 6 dips into 40-50 fps where it is perfectly fine at 60 fps on an iPhone 5 running iOS 8. The frame drops really don't occur until the end of the animation, where the "bounce" effect occurs. Little jitters occur at other totally random places, like opening and closing apps, entering and exiting the app switcher, scrolling through the app switcher, etc. If this isn't fixed by GM I'm going to be very disappointed. Also would love to see the app switcher be fully smooth on all devices, like it was iOS 8 and earlier. My iPad mini 2 drops into 20 fps when entering and exiting the switcher or closing apps in the switcher. Scrolling is *okay* but it does stutter some, especially near the "home screen card." Control center and Notification Center stutter when used over the app switcher as well, happens on iPhone 6, too.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
@XTheLancerX
Has you informed Apple Bug Report? Please!!!
This isn't exactly a bug, just a performance issue. I have reported every performance issue I know via feedback assistant, however. I can't log in to bug reporter, people say you don't need to be an Apple Developer to log in but everything on the site points to the fact that you do. When I try to log in with my non-developer Apple ID, nothing happens.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
This isn't exactly a bug, just a performance issue. I have reported every performance issue I know via feedback assistant, however. I can't log in to bug reporter, people say you don't need to be an Apple Developer to log in but everything on the site points to the fact that you do. When I try to log in with my non-developer Apple ID, nothing happens.

You gotta sign up a free developer.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
A little off topic but has anyone noticed that if you just leave Siri sitting there, waiting for you to tap the icon to activate it, the blurred background animates/colours change?

Hadn't noticed it until tonight on my 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.