iOS 9 Wallet

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by eclipse01, Sep 29, 2015.

1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Can someone explain to me what the purpose of wallet and wallet apps are for?

I thought with IOS9 you were going to gain the ability of scanning your rewards cards into the app (similar to what the Keyring app does?)

However, I tried scanning all kinds of cards in and none of them recognized.

2. ry-guy macrumors member

ry-guy

I think they meant credit cards with reward programs like frequent flyer miles? Regular rewards cards like for a grocery store or CVS/Walgreens pharmacy are normally dependent on their own app.

3. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Ok, I misunderstood then,

Guess I will keep Key Ring installed

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Couldn't you use those already before iOS 9?

5. ry-guy macrumors member

ry-guy

I'm not entirely sure to be honest since I havent set it up myself. I think it was more bank dependent at first?

I think its mostly on each companies end. It seems to be something that was always around but just has been rebranded and publicized more now because of Apple Pay.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, I don't think that was anything in particular new related to iOS 9.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Target, Starbucks, Walgreens, REI, Kroger... all have their loyalty cards in the Apple Wallet app. They existed in Passbook before iOS9.

It's entirely up to the stores to deploy this. Some are janky and choose not to.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Per Apple's own description at http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/ it sounds like it should be coming at some point: