iOS AdBlocker for Mobile network (3G)

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Quotenfrau, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Quotenfrau macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

Hi

which AdBlocker for Mobile network (3G and 4G)? I googled and found only solutions for wireless :mad:

I don't wish to see ads in browser.

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

Not possible yet without jailbreak, I believe...

3. ya1950 macrumors regular

Adblock does this. Using in now on 3G and seeing no ads.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adblock/id691121579?mt=8

4. notrack macrumors 6502

5. bransoj macrumors 6502a

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

7. ya1950 macrumors regular

Adblock blocks most web ads as well as iAds over 3G. Web Block blocks ads over WiFi. I use both together. It's not a perfect solution as some ads still get through but the ads I'm receiving are significantly less.

8. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

They use a proxy server to filter out the apps.
    The Weblock one is a Google server, which is apparently secure.

10. ya1950, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014

ya1950 macrumors regular

From the FAQ:

http://www.weblockapp.com/faq/

"Weblock does not affect the security of your connections in any way. We also do not act as a proxy server for your traffic. Every time Weblock blocks some content, it’s because your device will try to get it through a dummy proxy server. That’s how the blocking works.

What do you mean by "dummy proxy"?
    Every time Weblock blocks some content, it's because your device tries to get it through a proxy server, which is not able to handle this a connection. That's what we call the dummy proxy. By default Weblock uses IP of 8.8.8.8 and port 53. This IP actually belongs to multiple DNS servers worldwide, which are operated by Google. We've decided to use this particular IP for several reasons: 1. iOS requires the dummy proxy to be a valid IP address accepting connections (so it's not possible to use local IP address of your device, since there is no open port to connect to). 2. It's really responsive, fast and stable anywhere in the world. 3. It's NOT ABLE to handle HTTP/HTTPS traffic and it immediately closes the connection (perfect!). 4. It's widely recognised and well known IP, so you don't have to be concerned about your privacy. We're really sure Google is not logging all web connection attempts made while blocking content from your device, since this dummy proxy is actually a DNS server supporting very different protocol. If for some reason you would like to use different dummy proxy, please go to Setup -> Settings to set your custom dummy proxy for blocking content. Please notice, that using a proxy which does not accept incoming connections may result in content blocking failures."

I'm actually very surprised that Apple approved these applications since they are blocking iAds as well as web ads (the Weblock web site explains how to setup the app to block ads over WiFi). But they are in the App Store and work surprisingly well.