Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
I switched to Android in 2011. This year, I thought I'd give iOS a go and bought an iPhone 7.

After five weeks, I've switched back. iPhones are great phones, but the software is frustrating, awkward and unintuitive. Apple really are being left behind - they're not listening to their consumers (or, at least, the ones who are leaving) whereas Android are.

Most annoyingly, I'm just outside the returns period for my iPhone.
[doublepost=1478117719][/doublepost]

Do they? I've been to third world countries. I must've missed all the "lower priced" Range Rovers and Bentleys.

I don't count Bentley or RR as part of the normal luxury market. You may as well call Ferrari a sports car manufacturer. And technically the old defender was used all over the place for utility and military trucks. Their Discovery Sport is their entry level vehicle. Doesn't lessen the appeal of their $100,000 range rover.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
We only barely stuck with iPhone this year when we bought an SE, until then Apple did not even make a phone we were interested in. But a phone is a phone. With Apple not caring any more about my professional computer needs I see no reason to care about the iPhone. Yep it is a great device, but I won't be in two different ecosystems. No Apple computer, no Apple iPhone. This is the first time in my history that I am not recommending Apple products to family and friends. Fanboy status shrugged off.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
It's not irrelevant if you consider the possibility that the worldwide smart phone market is approaching saturation, meaning that the only revenue growth these companies will see will be in services for smartphone users.

No one switches platforms or replaces their phones? Saturation? (ex: hasn't the car market been saturated for decades... I still see car dealers around)

Yet Apple still commands more than 50% of global smartphone revenue share

And, often like 50%-ish of actual usage statistics too. Methinks there are many Android devices in sock drawers, junk boxes, or people just use them as a phone.

I think it's a clear sign that they need to make the iPhone thinner by removing all ports and the screen.

Priceless. :)

Google is unarguably the worst when it comes to listening to their customer on Android.

That's just Google period. There's pretty close to zero customer service. They make some great technologies, but that's about it.

Wow.. history is repeating itself, Apple being ultra greedy and losing vision and marketshare like in the late 90s, rival OS reaching 90% marketshare.
New Apple dark ages approaching?

Apple was being mismanaged in the 90s, somewhat like today... too typical of a tech/computer company, w/o vision and eroding UX. But, there were a LOT of other factors involved in the 90s. They weren't losing market share... they were struggling to grow it in the face of M$'s monopoly abuses.

And, yes, if Apple doesn't course-correct, it will be the dark ages again. The difference being Apple had a huge advantage in the 90s, but the world just didn't recognize it. Now, they had that momentum, and are just riding/coasting off of it. When the world starts seeing Apple's dive in terms of UX, it's going to be a rough fall that will be hard to break.

It's much easier to shine a spotlight on something great and eliminate some bad management, than to fix a broken reputation.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
That assumes people never replace their phones and when doing so switch OS'. It also assumes no one ever replaces phone.

We'll still see change in these numbers even when adoption reaches 100% (which it never will) as people switch carriers, get new phones, and jump between Android and iOS.

People replace their phones all the time. But replacement sales do not produce revenue/profit growth.

Reactions: JackANSI

timrichardson

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
Basically an irrelevant number. As smartphones penetrate India, Africa, and other countries with extremely large no-income populations, the only factor is cost. That's not a "market". Android phones get dumped there in large quantities with low quality. A more relevant number is a country by country marketshare. Though, even that is easily misinterpreted.
The problem is that all localised apps will be Android, so it will be hard for iOS to get a foothold as these markets grow. And these markets are the future. They are not no-income countries. They are low-income countries, with vast populations (India is x 2.5 the EU). The middle class of India is already twice as big as Brazil's, and it's growing faster than any country except China. I doubt that Apple is as sanguine as you.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
No one switches platforms or replaces their phones? Saturation? (ex: hasn't the car market been saturated for decades... I still see car dealers around)

They do, yet the adoption numbers quoted in this article indicate that Android's share of the market is growing while iOS is shrinking, so any platform switches from Android -> iOS are being outnumbered by either new sales and/or iOS -> Android switching.

Reactions: mkeeley

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
For the last few years, iOS has been playing catch up to Android (stuff like multi-tasking, widgets, even folders, if I remember), but Android is pulling ahead, rather steadily. I think the differences are still not major, but I do find iOS less user-friendly and clunkier that Android 6 and more so than Android 7.

It would help if you could give concrete examples for the latter. I think the ‘Android had it first’ kind of arguments are lame. iOS was always capable of multi-tasking, but Apple made the decision to restrict it in other to maintain optimal system performance and battery life and that has always been persuasive (at least for me). So persuasive even that Google has been adding features to restrict multi-tasking, such as ‘Doze’ (which was touted as a big improvement by some reviewers). Android also had no privacy options to speak of until Marshmallow and they only just started deploying decryption by default, not to mention that getting timely system updates for more than a year is still a huge problem. Both Apple and Google have simply different priorities which means that each system was ahead in one area, whereas the other was in another.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011

And, often like 50%-ish of actual usage statistics too. Methinks there are many Android devices in sock drawers, junk boxes, or people just use them as a phone.

Priceless. :)

That's just Google period. There's pretty close to zero customer service. They make some great technologies, but that's about it.

Apple was being mismanaged in the 90s, somewhat like today... too typical of a tech/computer company, w/o vision and eroding UX. But, there were a LOT of other factors involved in the 90s. They weren't losing market share... they were struggling to grow it in the face of M$'s monopoly abuses.

And, yes, if Apple doesn't course-correct, it will be the dark ages again. The difference being Apple had a huge advantage in the 90s, but the world just didn't recognize it. Now, they had that momentum, and are just riding/coasting off of it. When the world starts seeing Apple's dive in terms of UX, it's going to be a rough fall that will be hard to break.

It's much easier to shine a spotlight on something great and eliminate some bad management, than to fix a broken reputation.

Good point on UX, it's suffering significantly and very underestimated.

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
I use both iOS and Android. I used to use mostly iOS until Android 5 and since then I have started using Androids as my daily drivers.

Android used to be ugly, copying iOS but with all the problems of Windows Mobile 6.

For the last few years, iOS has been playing catch up to Android (stuff like multi-tasking, widgets, even folders, if I remember), but Android is pulling ahead, rather steadily. I think the differences are still not major, but I do find iOS less user-friendly and clunkier that Android 6 and more so than Android 7.

Overall, Apple has been disappointing both in terms of OS and somewhat in terms of hardware.

And to all the smug "it's because they are poor" replies above, get your nose out in the real world. The Galaxy S7, which is soon to be replaced by a new and supposedly much improved model, still manages to beat the newest iPhone's camera, which is the biggest smart phone differentiator for many consumers. Moreover, there are a number of Chinese companies which have entered the market with $600+ devices, some of which are arguably equal to the iPhone 7, and just slightly cheaper. So yes, while the emerging markets may be poorer than the US, their population is much larger, overall.

Apple has dropped the ball, both with Mac OS and iOS, and to a large extent with hardware, and I personally don't see anything in the pipeline which will change this.

iOS is not really playing catch up. Multi-tasking was never a true multi-tasking on both platform, and folder was never a thing either on iOS.
Most app that I used on Nexus 5X, the app UI doesn't even show correctly when I split them.

In UI/UX, the only one that has a better UI than iOS is the native Calendar app. Everything else is either an awful experience or half baked. iOS has far superior UI/UX by a long shot. I don't think Android will ever catch up.

Galaxy S7 is a junk to begin with. Every Samsung phone that my wife used, in a matter of few weeks she start to complain how slow that **** is, but yet to complain anything since I got her a iPhone 6S.

I honestly don't know why people even think S7 have a good Camera. The oversaturated color and aggressive sharpening on photo is just awful to see and use. The auto-focus is so bad enough that I need to take multiple shot to get it right. iPhone overall has better point and shoot quality, with exception at low light. The only phone that truly amaze me is HTC 10 camera, people don't seem to understand the capability when using their phone camera on manual control, it's far superior than any other phone camera that I have seen in every aspect of it.

Apple definitely drop the quality in both hardware and software. Their direction is clearly broken, especially seen how Swift turns out when they promise so much, and still have broken performance with worsen readability after 3 major revision. Yet, they still ahead other companies.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Yep it is a great device, but I won't be in two different ecosystems. No Apple computer, no Apple iPhone. This is the first time in my history that I am not recommending Apple products to family and friends. Fanboy status shrugged off.

Yes, that's a very important point, with two *current* problems: 1) I think Apple sees all the 'switchers' who have PCs and iPhones, so they probably aren't that concerned. 2) The alternative eco-system isn't yet better than Apple's.

But, I feel the same way. I'm buying an SE... possibly a new Mac next year... after that, who knows? If current trajectories continue, I also won't have a reason to stick with the Apple eco-system. I'm already working to transition off iTunes, Photos, etc. Once I don't need Apple-based software solutions any longer, why stick with the hardware? (That's the chink in Apple's armor... they've gotten insanely sloppy with the software.)

People replace their phones all the time. But replacement sales do not produce revenue/profit growth.

They don't? How so?

The problem is that all localised apps will be Android, so it will be hard for iOS to get a foothold as these markets grow. And these markets are the future. They are not no-income countries. They are low-income countries, with vast populations (India is x 2.5 the EU). The middle class of India is already twice as big as Brazil's, and it's growing faster than any country except China. I doubt that Apple is as sanguine as you.

As those markets grow, they might not consider Apple/iOS? If the problem is low-income, that won't be a problem. Soon the USA might be the low income area, while India and China might be buying iPhones.

They do, yet the adoption numbers quoted in this article indicate that Android's share of the market is growing while iOS is shrinking, so any platform switches from Android -> iOS are being outnumbered by either new sales and/or iOS -> Android switching.

I think you're placing too much emphasis on market-share. The only time market-share really matters (and I'm talking real in-use market-share, not quarterly sales share, often called 'market-share') is in terms of developers considering whether to support a given platform. There are PLENTY of iOS devices around for a strong development community if the market-share figures suddenly say Apple has only 1%.

It's largely a baloney stat, and largely irrelevant.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008

Again, you're wrong.

You're really saying that if I already own 10 of your gadgets and I buy 10 more from you, you see no revenue?

Yes, buying replacements does contribute to revenue. Things like decreased cost of manufacturing and increased product pricing also contribute to revenue and profit growth.

Reactions: SteveW928

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
In UI/UX, the only one that has a better UI than iOS is the native Calendar app. Everything else is either an awful experience or half baked. iOS has far superior UI/UX by a long shot. I don't think Android will ever catch up.

Apple definitely drop the quality in both hardware and software. Their direction is clearly broken, especially seen how Swift turns out when they promise so much, and still have broken performance with worsen readability after 3 major revision. Yet, they still ahead other companies.

I mostly agree, though I wouldn't underestimate Apple's downslide, nor some competitor to do what Apple did to the previous 'smart-phone' market. Any time you have a sloppy, overconfident industry that stops innovating, there is room for disruption.

I don't really see Google as good enough in terms of UX to do that (it doesn't seem to be in their DNA), but someone else could certainly come along.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Basically an irrelevant number. As smartphones penetrate India, Africa, and other countries with extremely large no-income populations, the only factor is cost. That's not a "market". Android phones get dumped there in large quantities with low quality. A more relevant number is a country by country marketshare. Though, even that is easily misinterpreted.

Bingo.

You'll sell a heck of a lot more $10 Android phones than you will sell $600 iPhones, especially in countries listed.

Yet basic economic knowledge won't slow down those who need self-vindication of their phone choice.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Apples been going downhill since Steve died.

I think so, or not too long after. Initially, I didn't believe it. How could Apple, with all that creativity in their DNA, fail on what made them so great? But, then I started realizing things like:

1) most of the people who drove the UX emphasis moved on, were let go, or died.
2) The leadership has no vision, they are just good at managing supply chains and such.
3) the marketing stooges and spreadsheet jockeys are back in control (over UX and best product principals)
4) the leadership are more concerned about image, fashion, and being with the 'cool kids'
5) great designer minds are running amok w/o a leader to say 'no' to the right things
6) some of the ideas of current leadership are actually counter good-design, common sense, and real-world
etc.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008

Overall, Apple has been disappointing both in terms of OS and somewhat in terms of hardware.

Folders? Really? That's your example of Android being ahead of Apple and more intuitive? iOS has had folders since 2010. Yes, 2010. And still has the most intuitive implementation, IMO. Android was in fact the one that copied Apples implementation of app folders (dragging two apps on top of each other to create a folder, folder icon displaying a smaller grid of apps within). iOS has also had background processing capabilities since 2010, and its Android that has dialed back its full blown multitasking approach it originally had to something more akin to iOS (albeit with more permissions). Widgets is another poor example, seeing as Apple pioneered their use with Mac OSX Tiger over a decade ago. Their lack of implementation was never a lack of capability, but rather a design decision. And I happen to prefer their implementation in iOS 10. They're more importantly easier for developers to adopt than on android. I find tremendous value having access to widgets WITHIN AN APP, rather than having to exit back to home screen. What's the point? I'd rather open the app.

If Apples software and hardware were so lacking, Google and Samsung wouldn't find so much inspiration in Apples products. Both hardware and software. If you don't see the clear inspiration from Apples hardware and software, you're blind. Google wallet was completely reworked after Apple Pay was introduced to a complete clone of it, even in branding and strategy. The list is endless, but that's one clear cut example where Android was first, but Apple created a solution far more compelling and successful, which was then copied by the original first-movers

Implementation is everything when it comes to these devices. Is Apple guilty of plucking things from Android? Of course, but it's rarely as blatant.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Again, you're wrong.

You're really saying that if I already own 10 of your gadgets and I buy 10 more from you, you see no revenue?

Yes, buying replacements does contribute to revenue. Things like decreased cost of manufacturing and increased product pricing also contribute to revenue and profit growth.

I didn't say no revenue. I said no revenue growth.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Folders? Really? That's your example of Android being ahead of Apple and more intuitive? iOS has had folders since 2010. Yes, 2010. And still has the most intuitive implementation, IMO.

They probably meant a file-system with a reasonable UI. IMO, this is iOS's biggest issue... file management SUCKS! It's a horrible UX/UI.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
They don't? How so?

Because to grow revenue you have to either sell more units then you did last year or sell them for more than you did last year (or a combination of the two). By definition, selling a replacement unit means selling to someone who has already bought from you and so you're just maintaining the same revenue you had the previous year.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
It would help if you could give concrete examples for the latter. I think the ‘Android had it first’ kind of arguments are lame. iOS was always capable of multi-tasking, but Apple made the decision to restrict it in other to maintain optimal system performance and battery life and that has always been persuasive (at least for me). So persuasive even that Google has been adding features to restrict multi-tasking, such as ‘Doze’ (which was touted as a big improvement by some reviewers). Android also had no privacy options to speak of until Marshmallow and they only just started deploying decryption by default, not to mention that getting timely system updates for more than a year is still a huge problem. Both Apple and Google have simply different priorities which means that each system was ahead in one area, whereas the other was in another.

Read my post again....
"... (stuff like multi-tasking, widgets, even folders, if I remember)...."

And "iOS was always capable of multi-tasking" is nonsense: I was unable to use the flashlight and play a podcast on my iPhone while hiking in the dark, which was why I first started leaving my iPhone at home in favor of Andorid.

Making lame excuses for Apple's lack of innovation over the last few years is not helpful to anyone, including to Apple as a company.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
I didn't say no revenue. I said no revenue growth.

(I know the answer...) but, so what? (see below)

The Music app. They've been consistently downgrading it since its point of perfection in iOS 6. But Android still sucks.

Yes, and Photos, and iTunes, and most of the UI, and poor consistency between iOS and macOS, and flat... need I say more? It's like a bunch of entry-level designers were unleashed to rip apart and then cobble back up, a refined machine. :(

Because to grow revenue you have to either sell more units then you did last year or sell them for more than you did last year (or a combination of the two). By definition, selling a replacement unit means selling to someone who has already bought from you and so you're just maintaining the same revenue you had the previous year.

Or, you could just be happy making many billions each year in profits. I know, I know... the Wall Street idiots won't stand for that. And, you're right that Apple is stuck in that trap. But, what I don't see is why they won't sell more units. Or, why selling millions of devices at high profit margins, and possibly growing in terms of other market segments, wouldn't be just as good?

As a business owner, I'm quite happy with clients who renew services with me each year. It's the core of my business. Of course, I also seek more customers and create new services. But, this concept that a business has to just keep forever increasing market share to survive is silly.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
... Galaxy S7 is a junk to begin with. Every Samsung phone that my wife used, in a matter of few weeks she start to complain how slow that **** is, but yet to complain anything since I got her a iPhone 6S....

Sorry, but this is just nonsense.

While previous Galaxies were plagued with issues, the S7 Edge, which I use as my daily driver (over my company iPhone 6+, which is getting replaced with a 7+) is better than the iPhone. It has a better camera, the UI is more intuitive, the battery life is better....

It's a bit like a Windows user bringing up Mac OS 7 to prove how great Windows 10 is.

Reactions: Emad Ahmed
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.