iOS and multiple Apple Stores

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by temna, Feb 6, 2013.

1. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

I have a problem with Apple Stores. I lived in the US for 40 years. I moved to Canada two and a half years ago. You can't buy US media with Canadian funds. Or vice versa. Now I've run into a new snag. I downloaded from the US store after a restore. Now I can't link Match (newer service, signed up with Canadian Store) to the iPad for 45 days. I can't download from the Candian iBookstore for 45 days. WTF? I am being penalized for moving. Apple needs to get over this so I can actually grab the media I paid for.

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Did you read the licence agreement that comes with iTunes and your iTunes purchases? If I am not mistaken, when one buys from a US app store (or any country specific app store), then the licence is not world-wide. In effect you have not bought a song, but the rights to store and listen to the song in a specific country. Thus, you might find that there is very little you can do to remedy the situation. Of course, if others have information to the contrary feel free to comment....

If it is true that purchases in one country's iTunes store are not transferable, then like you I would hope that Apple would have some reasonable way of recognizing that you have already purchased items in another country. I suspect though, that Apple has to pay by country, so if they did this they would have to go out of pocket (don't blame Apple – blame the profligate greed of the entertainment industry...). Also, I assume that Apple would have to have a pretty sure-fire way of confirming who you are, lest you be some sort of hacker trying to engage in identity theft.

3. temna thread starter macrumors 6502a

temna

I worked fine until I upgraded to iOS 6. Plus I have no problem downloading on my Macs..

It was only on my iPad that I have run into this issue.

4. Silvereel macrumors 6502

I'm not sure about the legal matters, but technically speaking, since iTunes tracks are DMR free nowadays, it should be possible for him to transfer the files himself and do what he pleases with them. If you just import the files into your library as you would with 'not so legitimately acquired files,' shouldn't iTunes Match kick in and distribute them as it would in the 'not so legitimate' case?

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Hmmm... perhaps this is a genuine bug. Is your iPad an authorised device on your iTunes account (sorry if you already thought of this)?

6. temna thread starter macrumors 6502a

temna

The interesting thing to me is how easy it is to switch between accounts for Apps, but not "media". There is some funky new 90 policy for switching accounts. The thing that gets me is that I'm paying for Match and can't use it for another two weeks.

----------

Unfortunately no, I was called by Tim Cook's office about this issue. It's legit because Apple only wants you to have one iTunes account and have it tied to one idevice in order to keep people from sharing media with their friends.