iOS and space usage slowdown

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by max2, Feb 10, 2016.

1. max2 macrumors 68000

Does iOS slow down with the more space you use ? Like for example lets say you have a 128GB of space and use it all or most of it will it slow down your phone ?

2. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

I've noticed some effect to that nature when there's not much space left at all and have generally tried to keep at least 1 GB (and usually more) free if I can.

4. e93to macrumors 6502a

e93to

Well, it does slow down if the iPhone shows 0 Gb as available. However, that doesn't really mean there is no space available at all. iPhone itself constantly deletes cache/temp files (you will see apps shown to be "cleaning" time to time). During this "cleaning" process, apps can exhibit stutter and lag (opening, multitasking, updating/refreshing contents, etc)

So yes, low storage can slow down the device. If a certain app has to "clean" itself in order for another app in use to store cache/temp files, you might see certain amount of lag and stutter.

5. danleon950410 macrumors regular

danleon950410

Well, a chip of XXX GB must be able to handle the XXX GB it advertises.

But i would say the answer "Yes" due to indexing matters.
    It's my opinion as i have no way to prove it, but i guess that this would happen only when the device and/or app needs to index or maybe find something.
    Other than that, i don't think so, as disk writing isn't running all the time.