Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Sorry but that's simply not the case that the same results would happen. Plenty of people have done fresh installs aand came away without issues that they might have had before. And some people have certainly had issues while others haven't, at least not the same ones and/or to the same degree. That's been th reality for a long time. To try to imply otherwise is to simply ignore basic reality.

The only thing that can vary is internet speed, everything else is a common denominator. Until you start loading apps / changing settings...what you're saying is simply not the case. Identical hardware, will yield identical software performance, unless there is a defect.

I loaded fresh installs when doing my own testing on iOS 8 vs 9 and didn't change any settings. If you had done the same test with the same phone hardware, your results would be identical to mine.

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Yes the overall swiping from page to page is better. Using an app, contrasted to being in and out of an app every 10 seconds, seems smother under iOS 9.
Play a game for 10-15 mins or so.Than Please provide a video of you swiping down in spotlight and opening control centre and also your app switcher

Reactions: _Refurbished_

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Play a game for 10-15 mins or so.Than Please provide a video of you swiping down in spotlight and opening control centre and also your app switcher
That's not my use case. My use case for the most part are email, phone, gmail, FaceTime, iMessage, safari, work apps, Netflix, HBO go, Sirius, wsj.

Edit I'll see if I can figure out later how to post to youtube.

Reactions: Trickhot3102

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
I would like some more videos of where people think the 5s, 6 or 6s makes the phone virtually unusable.

I'm not sure what that means, but if you're saying that I think those phones have become unusable, they haven't. I would never think such a silly thing.

Why come in here and not provide any evidence of your claims? The point of this thread is to provide evidence, not argue back and forth over supposed performance. There's really no point is continuing to discuss anything with you or others that don't provide evidence. It's a revolving door. I set a challenge at the beginning of this thread for someone to post evidence showing a phone staying at the same level of performance or exceeding it. Nine pages later there's not a single video that's been posted to offer as a rebuttal.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The only thing that can vary is internet speed, everything else is a common denominator. Until you start loading apps / changing settings...what you're saying is simply not the case. Identical hardware, will yield identical software performance, unless there is a defect.

I loaded fresh installs when doing my own testing on iOS 8 vs 9 and didn't change any settings. If you had done the same test with the same phone hardware, your results would be identical to mine.
Again, all good theories, in practice that has been shown not to be the case. Plenty of people with same devices and same iOS versions have all kinds of different issues that others don't have. It's just basic given reality that there's really no arguing with.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm not sure what that means, but if you're saying that I think those phones have become unusable, they haven't. I would never think such a silly thing.

Why come in here and not provide any evidence of your claims? The point of this thread is to provide evidence, not argue back and forth over supposed performance. There's really no point is continuing to discuss anything with you or others that don't provide evidence. It's a revolving door. I set a challenge at the beginning of this thread for someone to post evidence showing a phone staying at the same level of performance or exceeding it. Nine pages later there's not a single video that's been posted to offer as a rebuttal.
You realize that what you are asking isn't doable, right? No matter what someone might post their who believe there are issues will still say they see them (even if they might not, although they will likely believe they see them anyway even if they aren't there), and that others are simply not seeing them or don't care about them. So basically there isn't anything that could be provided that would fit with what you are asking since even it would be it still wouldn't be recognized as such anyway.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

the reason that this has gone on for so long is people are seeing different things based on device and usage. There is no blanket statement covering every device, every use case. On my devices I am happy with iOS 9; maybe iPad Air users are seeing different things. The one video posted of the control center is frankly a fail in showing the ills of iOS 9; at least as viewed from my 6s.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I would like some more videos of where people think the 5s, 6 or 6s makes the phone virtually unusable.

I think you are being disingenuous. iOS9 didn't make my 6+ or iMini3 virtually unusable. It did slow both devices down and we traded our iOS8 bugs for iOS9 bugs. Some of those new bugs have been critically impacting - then again that goes with most OS upgrades - something was missed. Or somethings were missed.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I think you are being disingenuous. iOS9 didn't make my 6+ or iMini3 virtually unusable. It did slow both devices down and we traded our iOS8 bugs for iOS9 bugs. Some of those new bugs have been critically impacting - then again that goes with most OS upgrades - something was missed. Or somethings were missed.
Doesn't critically=unusable. I agree the 6+ is the poster child of what Apple could have done better, but I played around me with some 6+ and far from unusable they were.

philipyoungg

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
Jakarta Capital Region
the reason that this has gone on for so long is people are seeing different things based on device and usage. There is no blanket statement covering every device, every use case. On my devices I am happy with iOS 9; maybe iPad Air users are seeing different things. The one video posted of the control center is frankly a fail in showing the ills of iOS 9; at least as viewed from my 6s.

I believe the slowdown also affect iPad Mini 2 and 3 similarly—as my brother have iPad Mini 2. I really regret pushing him to update to iOS 9 because of this issue.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
LOL, its not even 60 fps yet and I still see the MAJOR frame drops in the app switcher.
EDIT: now that its 60 fps it looks so bad. Whoever doesn't see the frame drops has to be trolling at this point.
Framedrops, the new first wold problem. I guess we need to tag "gate" onto it too to make it official.

Reactions: broken202

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
Framedrops, the new first wold problem. I guess we need to tag "gate" onto it too to make it official.
I don't understand how you can justify this? These iPhones and iPads have so much power and they are dropping frame during simple animations. That is a bug that needs to be fixed.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I want to ask your opinion. Please be thoughtfully honest.

Is the "framedrops" on iPad Air video acceptable for you?
They shouldn't be there. At the same time they aren't nearly at the level of issues that other people experience that really impact how their devices actually work and what they do (vs essentially just what the look like), and certainly not nearly something that make iOS 9 a horrific unusable mess that makes devices obsolete (as the unnecessary hyperbole has been coming across from quite a few).

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Whatever it is, it wasn't there before iOS 9 and it needs to be fixed.
Well it was there on iOS 8.4.1 and previous versions. As is the case responses to this type of thing are all over the map. It's not that I disagree there is something there, but this type of thread is always prevalent after a new release. I think this release is the best in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.